Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Family Feud contestant who couldn't score 18 points  (Read 6553 times)

BrandonFG

The Family Feud contestant who couldn't score 18 points
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
Everyone is getting their LOLs at this woman...but the Deadspin commenters bring up a good point. The questions flat out sucked. Even from my own living room, I had trouble finding half-decent answers. I know bashing the Feud writers is probably passe, but they kinda deserve it here.

theconcourse.deadspin.com/family-feud-contestant-spotted-182-points-in-fast-money-1572807291

BTW, why does the audience cheer when Steve tells them how much the first contestant got...as if they didn't just see it two minutes earlier? :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: The Family Feud contestant who couldn't score 18 points
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
The first question was so poorly read by Steve I couldn't understand it; another was about something your stomach does. Other'n "growls," what else is there? Digests? A married couple might be deeply in debt; the insect question may as well be "name one," and where do you check your watch? Wherever you are when you want to know what time it is.

It wasn't a schadenfreude moment at all, she got cornholed having to bat second.
Travis L. Eberle

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
...where do you check your watch? Wherever you are when you want to know what time it is.

But how are most people going to answer that question?  With a place they have to be (or feel they have to be) but don't want to.  I thought church was an obvious answer for that one.  I had aches for the stomach question, and bee for a noisy insect (besides crickets, the first thing that comes to mind for insect noises are their wings, so any flying insect would've been good to try.)  And as you mentioned, "debt" is an obvious second answer for the marriage question.

The first question probably could've been worded better, but I didn't see any issue with the other four.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
The first question was so poorly read by Steve I couldn't understand it; another was about something your stomach does. Other'n "growls," what else is there? Digests? A married couple might be deeply in debt; the insect question may as well be "name one," and where do you check your watch? Wherever you are when you want to know what time it is.

It wasn't a schadenfreude moment at all, she got cornholed having to bat second.
When it comes to the first question though, all I need to here is "On a scale from 1-10..." There is no reason to guess anything other than 1, 5, and 10 on that question. Those are "round" answers in my eyes and I'd assume quite a few other people. The best answers are going to be there and deviating elsewhere is setting yourself up for failure. I won't say for sure that they would've won the money if she guessed one or ten, because I wouldn't know which way those particular 100 people guessed or if those answer would've scored enough points, but they would've scored something.

As for the check your watch question, outside of the airport, I'd try to think of anyplace I don't feel like being at. Work was the first thing that came to mind for me.

I still agree however that the questions sucked because they were pretty much one and done.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
The first problem is that it throws another number in the question. The second is that I find it a particularly bad lead-off question because it's easy to trip over it and one stumble carries over into the next. Some of the questions might be good on their own (a couple might find themselves in what?) but put together with some of the other ones it becomes a murderer's row for the clean-up batter.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
I assume the family lost their next game?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
When it comes to the first question though, all I need to here is "On a scale from 1-10..." There is no reason to guess anything other than 1, 5, and 10 on that question. Those are "round" answers in my eyes and I'd assume quite a few other people.

That makes the question less vague, but who measures probability on a scale from 1-10? One usually says it's a 10% chance or a 50% chance, or 2-1 odds or a 99-1 shot. Travis is right, too, though they could have written "a supermodel" or "NFL cheerleader" to clear that up.

Bellies also hold babies. The waiting room is another place to check your watch. But that first question is lousy in a bunch of ways.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »
That makes the question less vague, but who measures probability on a scale from 1-10?

Someone answering a Family Feud survey question that asks them to measure it on a scale from 1-10 so the poor fool compiling the answers doesn't have to manually combine "5", "1 in 2", "1/2", "50%", and "half the time."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
That makes the question less vague, but who measures probability on a scale from 1-10?
I've seen it on other surveys, such as the ones you find on the back of fast food receipts.  "On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, please rate our speed of service, etc."
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I've seen it on other surveys, such as the ones you find on the back of fast food receipts.  "On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, please rate our speed of service, etc."

Bolded for comprehension.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
BTW, why does the audience cheer when Steve tells them how much the first contestant got...as if they didn't just see it two minutes earlier? :-P

Don't underestimate the Feud fan's enthusiasm...look at how they used to get for DOUBLING/TRIPLING THE POINTS!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.