Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host-Isms  (Read 12341 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Host-Isms
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2004, 09:29:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 10:17 PM\'] Richard Dawson: "Huckleberry Dillinger."  Bob and Ray: "Hang by your thumbs!" Maybe there should be a thread about malaprops. Here's one from Bill "Sonny" Fox: "Good evening and good welcome...I mean good evening and welcome." [/quote]
 Peter Marshall: "Welcome, welcome to Hol--uh--the Reel to Reel"

Mike Tennant

Host-Isms
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2004, 09:02:01 PM »
It seems to me (though I could be wrong about this since I haven't seen a Woolery WOF since I was a wee lad) that Chuck often followed a contestant's correct puzzle solution with an enthusiastic "You got it!"

No one seems yet to have mentioned Allen Ludden's "Hi, Doll."

whampyl03

Host-Isms
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2004, 09:19:24 PM »
I seem to recall Bob Eubanks saying "Why you little devil!" on many of the shows that he's hosted...

Matt Ottinger

Host-Isms
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2004, 10:04:24 PM »
A lot of you are simply stating phrases that a host would naturally repeat over and over as part of the show, or catch phrases ("2 and 2") that a host deliberately used.  If I understood it correctly, the original question was more about the quirky things a host says or does repeatedly without realizing it.

To wit:  Tom Bergeron -- an exemplary wit and ad-libber -- will nevertheless almost always respond to a contestant's bio information by saying, "Good enough."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Host-Isms
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2004, 10:48:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 08:04 PM\'] To wit:  Tom Bergeron -- an exemplary wit and ad-libber -- will nevertheless almost always respond to a contestant's bio information by saying, "Good enough." [/quote]
 In the unlikely event that Hell should freeze over and I be called upon to sub in for Bergeron one day, I shall follow all contestant bios with a brash "Unacceptable!" :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Host-Isms
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2004, 04:17:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:17 PM\']Maybe there should be a thread about malaprops.[/quote]
Speaking of which, when is GSN ever going to rerun their original series Paranoia?

Poor Peter. I was dying with anticipation to see how red his face would be after the break.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

DrBear

Host-Isms
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2004, 09:59:22 AM »
Apocryphal:
Edd Byrnes (off-camera): "A...E...I...O...U..."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

gameshowguy2000

Host-Isms
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2004, 01:15:05 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 08:59 AM\'] Apocryphal:
Edd Byrnes (off-camera): "A...E...I...O...U..." [/quote]
The guy responsible for hosting the "WOF" pilot, appropriately called "Shopper's Bazaar."

Thank God he did NOT get the job to host the show!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 01:15:38 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Host-Isms
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2004, 02:32:30 PM »
The guy responsible for hosting the "WOF" pilot, appropriately called "Shopper's Bazaar."

Thank God he did NOT get the job to host the show!

SplitSecond already debunked this for us, relaying that the earliest pilots hosted by Chuckers were called "Bazaar." Edd's pair of pilots were entitled "Wheel of Fortune."

And welcome Matt Ottinger to the Club That Tries to Get the Hostisms Thread Closer to Its Real Meaning :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Host-Isms
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2004, 02:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 3 2004, 09:04 PM\'] A lot of you are simply stating phrases that a host would naturally repeat over and over as part of the show, or catch phrases ("2 and 2") that a host deliberately used.  If I understood it correctly, the original question was more about the quirky things a host says or does repeatedly without realizing it. [/quote]
 Would Chuck Barris' clapping on GONG qualify in that instance?  I may be wrong, but I don't think the occasional claps throughout his intros in the early days of GONG were planned.  It wasn't until about a year-and-a-third into his run on GONG that it became a bit that involved the audience.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)