Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tv actors playing as their characters.  (Read 11536 times)

M622

Tv actors playing as their characters.
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
Hey guys.

So I was wondering..... Is their any time in game show history where tv actors played as their characters for example, the clebity family feud special featuring my name is earl and the office actors playing as their charicrs, (excluding the example) you can provide a link to a full episode featuring that.

Thanks.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Tv actors playing as their characters.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »
Yup, at least a couple times.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
And it goes way back. To the days of Hollywood Squares.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
Also see: any GS appearance of Jon Bauman outside of MGHSH. (And Pop & Rocker Game, I suppose.)

(No, I will not be linking to full episodes.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
Mama's Family and Hello, Larry on Password Plus is another example. (This can be easily sought out, I'm sure.)

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Mama's Family and Hello, Larry on Password Plus is another example. (This can be easily sought out, I'm sure.)

Wait a minute...the second example I never heard of.

Mama of course was twice.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »
On Storybook Squares, Barbara Eden appeared as Jeannie.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
I just watched an All-Star episode of Password Plus (Kennedy) last night where there were the following celebs were playing in character & in costume:

Jon Bauman as Bowser (from Sha Na Na)
Robert Donner as Exidor (from Mork & Mindy)
One lady (I forgot her character & real name) from Harper Valley PTA
Patty Duke as both Patty AND Cathy Lane (from the Patty Duke Show).

Interesting that when Gene Wood introduced all the celebs, they did a split-screen intro for the "identical cousins" walking in and heading towards the desk.  Patty Lane was the player du jour.

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
On Storybook Squares, Barbara Eden appeared as Jeannie.

I argue that doesn't count, because Storybook Squares featured an entire panel of people dressed in character. The fact that they were able to get her, Shatner, Carolyn Jones, and others to play their TV characters is just coincidence.

I think the idea is to have the characters play in actual regular gameplay, not themes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
I just watched an All-Star episode of Password Plus (Kennedy) last night where there were the following celebs were playing in character & in costume:

One lady (I forgot her character & real name) from Harper Valley PTA
Anne Francine, per IMDb.

Vicki Lawrence also played Mama in character on Bergeron's Hollywood Squares.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
So I was wondering..... Is their any time in game show history where tv actors played as their characters
I argue that doesn't count, because Storybook Squares featured an entire panel of people dressed in character. The fact that they were able to get her, Shatner, Carolyn Jones, and others to play their TV characters is just coincidence.

I'm missing how anything you say invalidates the original question.  They could have had Shatner play any other character in all of fiction.  It was hardly a "coincidence" that he played Kirk.  Therefore, he played as his TV character.  Not sure why you feel it necessary to make up your own rules on somebody else's thread.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
So I was wondering..... Is their any time in game show history where tv actors played as their characters

I'm missing how anything you say invalidates the original question.  They could have had Shatner play any other character in all of fiction.  It was hardly a "coincidence" that he played Kirk.  Therefore, he played as his TV character.  Not sure why you feel it necessary to make up your own rules on somebody else's thread.

Yes, they could have had him play any other character. That's why I don't count Storybook Squares. Because it's ALL in character and done so on purpose all the time.

He didn't do that on other shows like Messrs. Arquette and Bauman or Ms. Lawrence did.

I'm not trying to create a new set of rules, period. I'm just saying that the example in question happened on a show designed in a manner where nobody's playing themselves. They HAVE to appear in some form of character there. They don't on any other show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
He didn't do that on other shows like Messrs. Arquette and Bauman or Ms. Lawrence did.

...except the OP never made that stipulation.

He asked a pretty basic question with a pretty wide net, and of course you had to be the first one to jump in with the "OMG THAT DOESN'T COUNT!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »

Wait a minute...the second example I never heard of.

Mama of course was twice.
Mama (Vicki Lawrence) and Eunice (Carol Burnett) played for a week against McLean Stevenson and Joanna Gleason playing as their Hello, Larry characters. The whole pretense was rather ridiculous in that while it was obvious Lawrence and Burnett were in character, the only way you knew Stevenson and Gleason were in character was because Allen was calling them by their characters' names. And he didn't even do that consistently, and kept accidentally calling them McLean and Joanna. They gave up the whole idea by the Thursday show.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »

...except the OP never made that stipulation.

He asked a pretty basic question with a pretty wide net, and of course you had to be the first one to jump in with the "OMG THAT DOESN'T COUNT!"

For Christ's sake, it's a statement of opinion. I'm not getting into a pissing match over it.