Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The one year rule.  (Read 4568 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The one year rule.
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
I was curious about something in regards to eligibility.

I'm considering putting in for Wheel tryouts this coming season at some point. And once the January online test happens I can add Jeopardy to that.

Now, they say you can't have been on one in the previous year. My question is where do they start counting. Since Millionaire was showing two new eps a.day for the first few weeks, would they start from September 6, when my ep first aired, or December 20, when it aired as the primary ep in double run and for he first time everywhere else?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

Re: The one year rule.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »
Sept. 6.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
Every show has its own set of rules on eligibility.

Jeopardy states if you have appeared on a game show in 2013, you were not eligible to take the test in January of 2014...so even if your appearance was on Jan 1, 2013, you were not eligible to test in 2014.

I doubt they will be any different next year.  My guess is WOF has the same rule.

Now Millioaire rules are NETWORK shows, with one year from broadcast date until you can receive their phone call to come on the show.

Again, every show is different, and every rule is always "at producers discretion", so anything can happen.

PYLdude

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:32:30 AM »
Every show has its own set of rules on eligibility.

Jeopardy states if you have appeared on a game show in 2013, you were not eligible to take the test in January of 2014...so even if your appearance was on Jan 1, 2013, you were not eligible to test in 2014.

Thus, for only the second time ever, I didn't. (The first was in 2010; I was in the pool.)

I doubt they will be any different next year.  My guess is WOF has the same rule.

That doesn't really answer my question. But they do.

Now Millioaire rules are NETWORK shows, with one year from broadcast date until you can receive their phone call to come on the show.

Now see, here's the problem. The rules don't specify that I couldn't try out for a cable show (in fact the opposite is the case) and I tried out for The Chase last month as it was.

This was another concern- they say any show having its first broadcast within that year. Which for whatever reason makes me confused as to whether they mean a show premiering or one of the established. (I don't have the number for legal on me...)

Again, every show is different, and every rule is always "at producers discretion", so anything can happen.

Obviously.

I do appreciate the input, but I don't feel as if you fully answered me (you did rehash some stuff I was already aware of, but A for effort). Your last point was the best, though- but I might feel better with something more definitive. If it exists.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

dazztardly

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
Side Note - Awhile back, I ran across this article dating back from 1984. A game show contestant named Martin Fine, had sued Barry & Enright, Goodson-Todman, Merrill Heatter, and Merv Griffin, against their polices of having a limitation on show appearances. Needless to say, the suit was thrown out.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19830426&id=4lYiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cKcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2450,4391606

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
And with good reason. Sherman Antitrust Act? Really?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »

You didn't know? Being on a game show is a basic human right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »

You didn't know? Being on a game show is a basic human right.

Great. Do we have to call Today Tonight again?

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »