Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Sajak is feeling the heat...  (Read 13856 times)

Matt Ottinger

Pat Sajak is feeling the heat...
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
...he just doesn't think it has anything to do with climate change.

Google it, or open Facebook.  Some people are saying he's deliberately trolling, others are outraged.  As always, I'm amused.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Pat Sajak is feeling the heat...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
And people have a right to be upset. Because it's incredibly stupid logic.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
I like how one tweet is enough to qualify as a "rant" or "online outburst."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
I saw that in the Trending Topics section (which is starting to grow on me), and the reaction both globally and locally to this amuses me a great deal.  What Pat Sajak thinks about a thing carries just about as much weight or sway as what any other celebrity thinks about a thing.

Don't care if he's serious, trollin', ranty or something else. That's the internet.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
The magic word in his Twitter piece was "racist."  I think "unpatriotic" would have been let go by most, but the second adjective crossed a line.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
The magic word in his Twitter piece was "racist."  I think "unpatriotic" would have been let go by most, but the second adjective crossed a line.

You're probably correct.  In broad terms, the left gets called "unpatriotic" all the time, but it's usually the right that gets the "racist" taunts.  Of course, if we're going to analyze this like the Zapruder film, "racist" is a surreal word choice.  Who equates the climate argument with racism?  That's the part that makes me think he's being deliberately provoking.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58:27 PM »

They both crossed a line to me.

Those of you who know me know that I lean in the opposite direction of Mr. Sajak politically. In the course of some discussions I've had with people on that opposite side, I've been accused of being non-patriotic.

My theory is this. There are three things you won't do to me. You won't attack me or my family unprovoked, you won't put words in my mouth, and you will NEVER question my patriotism. To me, dem's fightin' woids.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
Here's what I do when a teabagger questions my patriotism:

I dismiss them as a jackoff and go about my business.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
Here's what I do when a teabagger questions my patriotism:

I dismiss them as a jackoff and go about my business.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »
*Rant mode on*

I used to experiment with the extreme far-right on a few sites here and there. But as time and time went on, I realized just how dreadful, dreadful, dreadful my experience was. According to them, if you do not agree with them 100% of the time, you are a Communist in disguise.

I even witnessed some people who were so happy when Roger Ebert did just because he was a liberal. One person called Ebert a "leftist loser". And that same person called Betty White a "pathetic, decrepit, liberal loser".

Lastly, I noticed they do not like anything about Hollywood since the 1960's. All they love is Golden Age Hollywood. That's it.

*Rant mode off*

There, I feel better now.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
I know Sajak's got a dry sense of humor, but him throwing racism into the equation was weird, even by his dry standards. That being said, given his followup post about how fun it is to poke the hornet's nest, I imagine it was a trolljob, just poorly executed. FWIW, I did follow him on Twitter, but got a little tired of the constant political posts. I respect his conservatism, but I don't really care to read any celebrity's constant politicizing, left or right. It just gets repetitive after awhile.

It'll gain a little traction because the media will make it more than it is, but I don't think it'll reach Donald Sterling or Paula Deen levels. More like the levels of that non-controversy about how to pronounce The Emancipation Proclamation. Big story for a few days, then we'll look back on this and shake our heads. Remember that Wheel contestant who fouled up those two puzzles and still won the game? Exactly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:41:09 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
Big story for a few days, then we'll look back on this and shake our heads.
Whether someone believes him or not, or if he meant what he said, what's going to happen? 4chan or Reddit or whatever isn't going to get him fired. If I only worked forty days a year and was coronated host of Wheel of Fortune for life, that's about 320 days where I can goof off and do wacky stuff. I suspect the most that happens is Harry says "hey, guy, slow your roll." And maybe Pat says "er, pass."

I think this nicely demonstrates who can take a joke and have a good laugh, and who chafes at it.
/bigger controversy is return of Bet on Your Baby.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
FWIW, I did follow him on Twitter, but got a little tired of the constant political posts. I respect his conservatism, but I don't really care to read any celebrity's constant politicizing, left or right. It just gets repetitive after awhile.
Was this a while ago? I know he deleted his Twitter for a small period of time, but since he's come back, I haven't noticed it as much. He still does it, but I mostly find sarcastic jabs at everything else nowadays.

In any case, I'm all for a Woolery/Sajak ticket in 2016.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
The post in question was yesterday, I believe.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
Meh, it's an opinion and he has a right to express it.  Just like everyone has the right to express their outrage.  And the outrage to the outrage.