Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR preemption enraged Twitter users  (Read 10197 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: TPIR preemption enraged Twitter users
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
I defy you to find me one person other than Kanye West who hated W. because of his being white.

Oh, this isn't going to end well for you...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
I defy you to find me one person other than Kanye West who hated W. because of his being white.

Oh, this isn't going to end well for you...

Perhaps I should take it in a different direction then.

Original question withdrawn.

New question: how do you know for certain that your statement is factual and not just speculation you're cooking up to justify a position that's wrong?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
New question: how do you know for certain that your statement is factual and not just speculation you're cooking up to justify a position that's wrong?

Slightly better-handled (until the end there), but the answer is still the same: do you really think there isn't a single person who has referred to GWB as a "that cracker-ass-cracker in the White House"?

I don't think Thunder was pointing out anything more nefarious than that.

PYLdude

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »

Slightly better-handled (until the end there), but the answer is still the same: do you really think there isn't a single person who has referred to GWB as a "that cracker-ass-cracker in the White House"?

I don't think Thunder was pointing out anything more nefarious than that.

Certainly not, but those people had enough sense to keep it to themselves or not spread it like chickenpox all over the media. And those that didn't, well, got theirs. :)

That said, I read Thunder's statement in a different manner: that because some unnamed individuals said racially insensitive things about GWB, it makes the larger number doing so to Barry O in a much more vile manner justified. I don't like that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
That said, I read Thunder's statement in a different manner: that because some unnamed individuals said racially insensitive things about GWB, it makes the larger number doing so to Barry O in a much more vile manner justified. I don't like that.

Neither do I, which is why I'm pretty sure that's not where he was going with that.

PYLdude

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »

Neither do I, which is why I'm pretty sure that's not where he was going with that.

I don't know...considering some of his more recent posts I can't not entertain the notion. But to each his own, as I say.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »
That being said, Bush had his haters**, but it was not because of the color of his skin or his heritage. ...
Yes, he did. They just weren't as obnoxiously vocal as today.

Racism goes full circle, sir.
Sure it does, I'll give you that. But I'd say for every Kanye outburst, you've probably had 10 more people demanding a birth certificate or calling the president a Muslim, but as a pejorative. We haven't even touched on the number of people who have openly called him a type of racist slur (not just the N-word), or worse, threatened to assassinate him.

However, I'd still say that 90% of those who disliked Bush either hated his policies, thought he was out of touch with middle class (not racist, just out of touch), or fed off of the jokes about his perceived lack of intelligence. That's prolly where the "obnoxiously vocal" part comes in, and goes back to my point about having more media available today, as opposed to less than a decade ago.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
However, I'd still say that 90% of those who disliked Bush either hated his policies, thought he was out of touch with middle class (not racist, just out of touch), or fed off of the jokes about his perceived lack of intelligence.
What's different today? For any president roughly half the country disagrees with his policies. For every idiot racist dumbass there's thousands of people who just don't like his platform. Maybe tens of thousands.

The great thing about social media is that it reveals the idiot racist dumbassery of people who think that way, but there's a difference between not liking someone, not liking where he stands, and bigotry.

(I'll note for the crowd Russell Brand's contribution at some awards show referring to the previous president as "that retarded cowboy." Way to elevate the dialog there, guy.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:18:51 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
I don't know...considering some of his more recent posts I can't not entertain the notion. But to each his own, as I say.

I'm going to ask this politely.

If you have a question regarding the murkiness of anything that I say, please feel free to contact me directly. My inbox is open to you and I'll be glad to give you my email address.

We've had our differences before but I've moved way past this and want you to do the same.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
Nothing new. Isn't there the story of housewives being enraged in the 80's because all the networks were covering the Challenger disaster?

There's always going to be shithead idiots who are really that stupid, or are trolling for a rise out of the sane.

I'll say that I'm not above being disappointed that a TV show I wanted to watch is being preempted, but after about 10 seconds I'm over it and either listen, find something else to watch, or complain about how Casey Anthony wasn't worth round the clock coverage.

Honestly, the President should be applauded for speaking for 20 minutes and breaking into The View. That was 20 less minutes people had to be exposed to Jenny "It Causes Autism" McCarthy.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
I'll say that I'm not above being disappointed that a TV show I wanted to watch is being preempted, but after about 10 seconds I'm over it and either listen, find something else to watch, or complain about how Casey Anthony wasn't worth round the clock coverage.
That reminds me: I need to check in on CNN to see if there's any news about the Malaysian airplane crash.

Honestly, the President should be applauded for speaking for 20 minutes and breaking into The View. That was 20 less minutes people had to be exposed to Jenny "It Causes Autism" McCarthy.
For the brief period until someone wrests the crown from you, you sir have won the internet.
Travis L. Eberle