Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Plinko dimensions?  (Read 4965 times)

LA the DJ

Plinko dimensions?
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »
My girlfriend's 5 year old daughter has enjoyed watching Price is Right with me, and thusly has become a big fan of Plinko. I'm considering making her a Plinko board for her birthday, but I know a lot of the homemade and purchaseable Plinko games out there don't quite capture the physics right. I thought I would consult you experts here on a couple things before I estimate what this will take. I want to size it down, but I'd like to capture the motion as closely as possible.

So I ask if anyone has estimated dimensions for the actual Plinko board. Most specifically, the distance between pegs and size of the chips.

Second of all, what type of material is used for the chips and board so that they slide down smoothly?

Thirdly, am I correct in assuming that the chips have a rubber band or rubber edge so that they bounce and "plink" the way they do?

As a true game show geek, anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so if anyone has this sort of info, it would help me out greatly.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Plinko dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
My guess is that the board is made of plywood, because most all non-electronics on TPiR are made of plywood. A quick GIS confirmed that the chips have very small runners on them (kinda like I've seen on some shuffleboard table pucks) to cut out most of the friction from the drop and allow them to slide more truely over an imperfect surface, and I would suspect there is no rubber around the outside since that would pretty much dampen the sound completely. The bounce, I suspect, comes from whatever elasticity the spike itself has.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

nowhammies10

Re: Plinko dimensions?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
Chips are 0.75-1" thick wood with a metal ring around the outside.  They look about the diameter of your average air hockey puck.