Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts Drive In To Work  (Read 9362 times)

BrandonFG

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 02:52:37 PM »
I just remembered one from ATGS...Randy Amasia said Jim Perry drove a green MG.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

goongas

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 04:24:01 PM »
That, I assume was at the Sony Recording Studios, since the first series was taped there. All of the other episodes to the present day are at ABC--and Regis' apartment is across the street from ABC (or so I've read), so he only has to make a short walk to get to work. Whether he makes the walk himself or Joy, Gelman or security guards accompany him, I have no idea.

Yes, it was at Sony.  Regis' apartment is across the street from ABC, at least it used to be.

Also, the show ended taping around 8:30 pm (this was when they taped starting at 7), so Regis probably had to go to his evening entertainment anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 04:29:38 PM by goongas »

ChuckNet

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 06:31:36 PM »
Geoff Edwards mentioned on his Radio Tonight show in 2000 that Bob Stewart would often take the bus into work.

And I suspect contestants were brought to the studio the same way. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 07:16:16 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 06:31 PM\']
Geoff Edwards mentioned on his Radio Tonight show in 2000 that Bob Stewart would often take the bus into work.

And I suspect contestants were brought to the studio the same way. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 At least one Bob Stewart show offered ground transportation for contestants. On the USA version of Jackpot, there was a fee plug for the company who provided it

Matt Ottinger

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:47 AM\'] With that in mind, does Matt Ottinger drive to "QuizBusters," or does he get a chauffeur as well? ;-) [/quote]
 I figure since they're paying me $2 million a year to host the show, the least I could do was to give back the driver allowance.  However, since we tape in the fall and early winter, the Ferrari stays in the garage.  I usually just drive the Hummer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2004, 04:06:34 PM »
Also, Sally Julian drove herself to work during her brief stint on $otC...they even gave her a parking space w/her own name on it! :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tvrandywest

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2004, 06:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 01:06 PM\']Also, Sally Julian drove herself to work during her brief stint on $otC...they even gave her a parking space w/her own name on it! :-)[/quote]
Reminds me... Summer BartholeMOOOO (in honor of "mad cow" disease) was very proud of the fact that she used to drive herself to NBC from Santa Barbara (60+ miles) while watching TV! She had a new-fangled TV that could be powered from the 12V cigarette lighter. Suddenly a cell phone seems like no big distraction.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Kevin Prather

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2004, 07:21:01 PM »
Oh lord. What will they think of next???

calliaume

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2004, 07:31:34 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 09:22 PM\']When I attended WWTBAM during its second week of taping, I saw Regis hurriedly leave the studio and walk into his car with a chauffeur waiting.  (I was walking out of the building the same instant he was).[/quote]
That, I assume was at the Sony Recording Studios, since the first series was taped there.  All of the other episodes to the present day are at ABC--and Regis' apartment is across the street from ABC (or so I've read), so he only has to make a short walk to get to work.  Whether he makes the walk himself or Joy, Gelman or security guards accompany him, I have no idea. [/quote]
 First eps were indeed shot at Sony.  We went to one taping the second week, and Regis seemed a little irritated as to how long the taping took -- making a couple of comments as such to Gelman, who was sitting in the audience.  (My recollection is it took about an hour and a half to tape the half-hour episode.)

Some of it was bugs, but other things needed to be worked out -- like taking away and putting back the center podium for Fastest Finger, which took a ton of time.  I was sitting to the left of the monitor Regis read the Fastest Finger questions from (a bad idea in itself; you could see him squinting a bit), and deliberately avoided any eye contact to keep things moving ("Why the hell is this guy staring at me all the time?").

Just eliminating the Fastest Finger no doubt makes the syndie version run a lot quicker.