Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Status of the new Game Show Book  (Read 8630 times)

The Ol' Guy

Status of the new Game Show Book
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 07:56:55 PM »
Well, Mel Blanc did do a quiz show for the Armed Forces Radio Network - I have a cassette of a little 15-minute time-killer called "Are You A Genius?", with Mel reading questions, occasionally dropping in cartoon voice asides, then doing little novelty bits with music while the listeners took the time to write down the answers to the questions posed by quizmaster Blanc. Not sure if it was 40s or 50s. Lame, but cute in a nostalgic way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 07:58:52 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 10:15:37 PM »
Mel Blanc was a regular panelist on the 1955 summer replacement series Musical Chairs.  He also appeared on The Object Is... in 1964.

More importantly, I learned today that the book is coming out in May and will be chock full of Wostbrock photos.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 10:56:56 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 07:56 PM\'] Well, Mel Blanc did do a quiz show for the Armed Forces Radio Network - I have a cassette of a little 15-minute time-killer called "Are You A Genius?", with Mel reading questions, occasionally dropping in cartoon voice asides, then doing little novelty bits with music while the listeners took the time to write down the answers to the questions posed by quizmaster Blanc. Not sure if it was 40s or 50s. Lame, but cute in a nostalgic way. [/quote]
 Well, there was the phone call on that one PYL episode. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »
In the 1930-1969 period of WB animation (counting sold out and subcontracted work from 1964-1969), there were over 1,000 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts produced. To a tens, about 1,060, IIRC.

BTW, the complaints over What's Opera, Doc? will be subsided, I'm sure many more DVD sets will be coming out in the future, and all WB was trying to do what have variety.

ObGameShow: I had no idea Mel Blanc did "Musical Chairs" in the 50s... interesting indeed.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2004, 12:39:47 AM »
QUOTE (SplitSecond @ Jan 5 2004, 04:38 PM)
I forgot to mention "The Ducksters," which is a vicious takeoff on Truth or Consequences (retitled Truth or AAAUGH! here).

Audience?

RIGOLETTO!

Soooo....you must pay the penalty.

My mom got me the DVD set in question for Christmas.  I wasn't aware the set included The Ducksters, which is one of my all-time favorite Tunes.

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2004, 07:24:54 AM »
I was happy to discover Bea Benaderet, one of the world's worst Password players, did many of the female voices on Warner Brothers cartoons ("Baseball Bugs," "The Scarlet Pumpernickel," etc.) through a Petticoat Junction web site
Are you sure it wasn't June Foray?

Dave Mackey?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 07:48:46 AM by chris319 »

TonicBH

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2004, 08:09:17 AM »
I doubt they would have brought a fourth edition of EOTVGS in at $19.95 anyway.

Personally, I think they should make a web version of the EOTVGS. Then they could keep it constantly up-to-date with new shows and information (and pictures you won't find anywhere else. :P)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

calliaume

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2004, 09:51:22 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 07:24 AM\']
I was happy to discover Bea Benaderet, one of the world's worst Password players, did many of the female voices on Warner Brothers cartoons ("Baseball Bugs," "The Scarlet Pumpernickel," etc.) through a Petticoat Junction web site
 [/quote]
Not according to the Internet Movie Database.  I wouldn't swear to it being 100 percent accurate (I thought Foray always did Granny, for example), but there's no question to me on "Baseball Bugs" and "Feed the Kitty" it's Benaderet handling the voice -- in those instances (the Statue of Liberty, Marc Anthony's owner) her voice is no different than her normal speaking voice.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 09:53:03 AM by calliaume »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2004, 10:41:44 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 09:51 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 07:24 AM\']
 [/quote]
Not according to the Internet Movie Database.  I wouldn't swear to it being 100 percent accurate (I thought Foray always did Granny, for example), but there's no question to me on "Baseball Bugs" and "Feed the Kitty" it's Benaderet handling the voice -- in those instances (the Statue of Liberty, Marc Anthony's owner) her voice is no different than her normal speaking voice.[/quote]
There were two different Granny voices.  Benaderet handled the more familiar voice for the more familiar-looking Granny.  Foray, of course, did her patented old lady voice, heard in countless Jay Ward and H-B cartoons, after Benaderet (for whatever reason) quit the role.  Foray's Granny was more squat and round, with circular, thin-rimmed glasses and a somewhat less harsh personality.  Foray has been the voice of Granny, regardless of how she is drawn, ever since.

ChuckNet

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2004, 11:20:38 AM »
Mel Blanc was a regular panelist on the 1955 summer replacement series Musical Chairs. He also appeared on The Object Is... in 1964.

He also did a guest shot on the 1971 version of Juvenile Jury.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2004, 11:38:58 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 09:09 AM\'] Personally, I think they should make a web version of the EOTVGS. Then they could keep it constantly up-to-date with new shows and information (and pictures you won't find anywhere else. :P) [/quote]
 No one's stopping you -- or anyone else -- from making a comprehensive internet game show site that lists and describes every game show ever made and is constantly updated with new shows and information and pictures you won't find anywhere else.  And as a matter of fact, Chris Lambert already does a very good job of creating write-ups for every new show that comes along.

No one got rich off the Encyclopedias, but perhaps "they" don't feel like putting their hard work into something that at best will COST them time and effort and money just to keep a group of notoriously dissatisfied whiners like us happy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robair

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 10:41 AM\'] There were two different Granny voices.  Benaderet handled the more familiar voice for the more familiar-looking Granny.  Foray, of course, did her patented old lady voice, heard in countless Jay Ward and H-B cartoons, after Benaderet (for whatever reason) quit the role.  Foray's Granny was more squat and round, with circular, thin-rimmed glasses and a somewhat less harsh personality.  Foray has been the voice of Granny, regardless of how she is drawn, ever since. [/quote]
 Benaderet was indeed also featured as the voice in the Marc Antony cat cartoons, Ralph Phillips' mother in "From A to Z-z-z-z", and as the Mother Bear in Chuck Jones' exceptional Three Bears cartoons along with Billy Bletcher and Stan Freberg. And she was the first Granny, with June Foray taking over in 1955 with "Red Riding Hoodwinked". Other WBs she made were "Little Red Rodent Hood", "Of Rice and Hen", "Punch Trunk", "Wild Wife", "Bewitched Bunny", and "The Hole Idea" . And of course she was Betty Rubble. Tee hee hee hee!
--Robair

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 11:36 AM\'] Benaderet was indeed also featured as the voice in the Marc Antony cat cartoons, Ralph Phillips' mother in "From A to Z-z-z-z", and as the Mother Bear in Chuck Jones' exceptional Three Bears cartoons along with Billy Bletcher and Stan Freberg. [/quote]
 So that was her uttering the unforgettable "Tell me more about my eyes" in "Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears"?  Blanc of course was the only voice to get any screen credit in that cartoon, but the voice of Papa Bear in that particular short did sound more like Blanc rather than Freberg (cue the MG7x "think music"--sorry, bad joke, but I couldn't resist).  So it's conceivable that someone other than Benaderet could've been the first Mama Bear.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2004, 02:21:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 02:04 PM\'] ... the voice of Papa Bear in that particular short did sound more like Blanc rather than Freberg (cue the MG7x "think music"--sorry, bad joke, but I couldn't resist). ... [/quote]
Some years back, I read Mel Blanc's autobiography, That's Not All Folks!, published just months before his passing.  In it I found out that his original last name was indeed Blank.  After enduring jokes about his name, he changed the "k" to a "c", and it's been that way ever since.  BTW, that book was also the source to my question.  So, Curt says 700, Nicholas says higher.  The actual number of cartoon shorts released by Warner Brothers between 1930 and 1969 is...

1,001 [ding ding ding ding]

Two others were made in the 1980s, "The Duxorcist" and "Night of the Living Duck", both included in the movie Daffy Duck's Quackbusters.  BTW, by Mel's count, he did 898 of these 1,003 total cartoons.  Nicholas, you get control of the cards.  :-)

Welcome to The Cartoon Forum. Will the photo of Bill Cullen be replaced by Mel Blanc?
There's an idea for a spinoff forum! :-D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 02:29:59 PM by GS Warehouse »

inturnaround

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 02:04 PM\'] Blanc of course was the only voice to get any screen credit in that cartoon, but the voice of Papa Bear in that particular short did sound more like Blanc rather than Freberg (cue the MG7x "think music"--sorry, bad joke, but I couldn't resist).  So it's conceivable that someone other than Benaderet could've been the first Mama Bear.
 [/quote]
 Freberg was Junior Bear, not Pa Bear. He does commentary on the new boxed set of Looney Tunes for 2 cartoons. (One is his Pete Puma cartoon, the other is the first of the three bears cartoons "Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears").

That cartoon is the only one to feature Mel Blanc as Pa Bear. He was voiced by Billy Bletcher after that.

ObGameShows: Freberg was a guest panelist on 11/8/1964 on WML, according to the iMDB.
Joe Coughlin     
Human