Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J!: Trebek breaks a GS record  (Read 8257 times)

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
J!: Trebek breaks a GS record
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: J!: Trebek breaks a GS record
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:41:33 AM »
"I avunculared your mother last night, Trebek!"
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »
Wait a minute...this math seems quite a bit off. While impressive, it seems like over 6,800 (is this overall, or just Jeopardy?) is quite low for a record.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:23:26 AM »
For some reason, I thought Barker hosted 7,000 episodes of TPiR, but a quick Google search tells me that said milestone ep. aired in November 2009, well into the Drew era. I also didn't realize that Wheel just hit 6,000 episodes a couple months ago. The episode difference actually surprises me quite a bit, considering that syndicated Wheel premiered a season prior.

Anyone know Barker's final episode total? With that 7,000th airing just over two years after Drew took over, I'd guess it was around 6,600?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:41:59 AM »
Don't forget though that Jeopardy carries on into late July whereas Wheel wraps by mid June at the latest. I could see why the numbers might be off for Wheel hitting 6,000 now instead of a year ago.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:45:49 AM »
Yeah, that was the one thing I considered. I couldn't remember the exact airdate schedules, but I figured that would've made a big difference over the years.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:27:26 AM »
Anyone know Barker's final episode total? With that 7,000th airing just over two years after Drew took over, I'd guess it was around 6,600?
Per the Golden-Road.net FAQ, Barker's last show was the 6,731st daytime episode, so that would put his total at 6,727 (deducting for the 4 shows in December 1974 where Dennis James subbed).

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
Does your total for Barker include prime-time specials?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
Are we excluding Barker's 70's nighttime episodes?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »
The things that are not the daytime show are not like not considered in the totals, as they are not the daytime show.

If J-Archive is right (and episodes aren't airing out of order), that means Guinness is off by 30.  Is there something I missed?

/Love how the story says Fleming's J! was "only 16 years"
This signature is currently under construction.

Bob Zager

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
I got confused when reading on the Jeopardy.com website that Alex has hosted 6,795 shows instead of the 6,829 episodes mentioned on Friday's episode.

I did some math, and it seems to be correct when considering:

1.  They're including the first-run episodes that have yet to air.

2.  They're NOT including the April 1, 1997 episode hosted by Pat Sajak.

3.  That only 195 first-run episodes were produced in the first two seasons (230 first-run episodes, and fewer repeats every season afterwards).

If they were to include all of Pat Sajak's NBC daytime shows with the 6,000+ syndicated shows, he'd be the record holder!

Does anyone else agree that Johnny Gilbert deserves some recognition, too, since (AFAIK) he's never been absent from an episode of J! (including the April Fool's edition mentioned above)?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:33:55 PM by Bob Zager »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
If they were to include all of Pat Sajak's NBC daytime shows with the 6,000+ syndicated shows, he'd be the record holder!

Then I call shenanigans.  (Although Stubby Kaye is probably about 714th on the list.)  If Pat Sajak has hosted more episodes of Wheel of Fortune than Alex Trebek has hosted of Jeopardy!, then Pat Sajak is your record holder.  That's just common sense, and anything else is fuzzy accounting.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »

Then I call shenanigans.  (Although Stubby Kaye is probably about 714th on the list.)  If Pat Sajak has hosted more episodes of Wheel of Fortune than Alex Trebek has hosted of Jeopardy!, then Pat Sajak is your record holder.  That's just common sense, and anything else is fuzzy accounting.
By my accounting, Pat hosted approximately 1,900 daytime shows.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

nowhammies10

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
The record as I understand it is for consecutive episodes of one show. Wheel's daytime and network runs are two different shows.

/though 4/1/1997 breaks the "consecutive" sequence by 17 years.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
The record as I understand it is for consecutive episodes of one show. Wheel's daytime and network runs are two different shows.
Are they now.

That was Matt's point--if it is the same show at different times of day with different prizes or dress code, that's still the same program. If you call a sheep's tail a leg and say "how many legs on a sheep?" the answer is still four because just calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.
Travis L. Eberle