Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilot Page is Up  (Read 5358 times)

bricon

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
Anyone know where that Jeopardy! pilot taped?

Merv's TAV Celebrity Theater, on Vine St., where his talk show, Headline Chasers, and several years of Love Connection taped.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 04:42:50 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 11:04 AM\']
Merv's TAV Celebrity Theater, on Vine St., where his talk show, Headline Chasers, and several years of Love Connection taped.[/quote]
ET shared Merv's stage for several years.

I seem to remember also the Buddy Hackett YBYL pilot and a pilot with Fred Travalena (the name of which escapes me) being shot there, all of this in the early '80s.

uncamark

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 04:55:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 04:42 PM\'][quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 11:04 AM\']
Merv's TAV Celebrity Theater, on Vine St., where his talk show, Headline Chasers, and several years of Love Connection taped.[/quote]
ET shared Merv's stage for several years.

I seem to remember also the Buddy Hackett YBYL pilot and a pilot with Fred Travalena (the name of which escapes me) being shot there, all of this in the early '80s.[/quote]
The entire Hackett "YBYL" series was shot at the TAV Celebrity Theatre.  The far shots from the camera in the back of the hall were a giveaway for anyone who watched Merv regularly, just like the back of the hall shots of 33 on "MG."

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 05:03:10 PM »
That page is outstanding! I swear I didn't know The Big Payoff was an unsold pilot; I always thought it was just another obscure 1950s show. Dag.

Awesome job!  ^_^

--Jamie

zachhoran

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 04:55 PM\']
The entire Hackett "YBYL" series was shot at the TAV Celebrity Theatre.  The far shots from the camera in the back of the hall were a giveaway for anyone who watched Merv regularly, just like the back of the hall shots of 33 on "MG." [/quote]
 Chris C. mentioned that there was consideration to move Match Game from CBS TV City to the TAV Celebrity Theater during the daily syndie era.

drmusic_99

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2004, 01:19:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 11:52 PM\'] Speaking of pilots, the Page O' Clips now has a "Legendary Firsts" section that has clips of the Family Feud pilot, the 1st Trebek Jeopardy pilot, and the MG'73 pilot (as well as Pat Sajak's first WOF episode and the first few minutes of the first episode of TNPiR'72). [/quote]
 Boy, that MG pilot even foreshadows the School Riot!

In any event, since it's not said enough, kudos to the operators of both the Page o'Clips, and the new Pilot Page. Well done, both of you!

CBSJokersWildFan

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2004, 04:46:16 AM »
I must say that you've done a great job with your pilot page!  Keep up the good work.  :-)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2004, 07:17:48 AM »
Was it "Anything for Money" that Travalena did at TAV?

ChuckNet

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2004, 11:23:09 AM »
Was it "Anything for Money" that Travalena did at TAV?

Most likely, since AFM was mentioned as taping at TAV during J!'s first season in Harry Eisenberg's book.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

joelvanderveen

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2004, 05:14:09 PM »
I must say that Jeopardy! pilot was unlike anything I would have expected. Must have been a real sight to see in person, though! At least they included that classic arrangement of the "Final Jeopardy!" music, something that's sadly missing from the show today.

PeterMarshallFan

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »
Very nice page!

I would just like to point out a couple things about Crossword: You could say that it did make it to air, eventually it was sold as "The Cross-Wits" [I assume the Jerry Payne credited with creating Cross-Wits is the same guy who produced Crossword]

There were two pilots shot with George Fenneman [the one on your site, and one with Paul Lynde as a celeb] But this post on ATGS references a third pilot, with Lynde HOSTING:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=lynde+cr...ogle.com&rnum=2

Matt Ottinger

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2004, 10:56:38 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 09:18 PM\'] There were two pilots shot with George Fenneman [the one on your site, and one with Paul Lynde as a celeb] But this post on ATGS references a third pilot, with Lynde HOSTING: [/quote]
 Actually, if you read that post a little more closely, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Kaiser simply mistyped and meant to say that Lynde was a *guest* and that George did a better job hosting THAT pilot than he did the OTHER one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2004, 04:30:58 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 08:18 PM\']Very nice page!

I would just like to point out a couple things about Crossword: You could say that it did make it to air, eventually it was sold as "The Cross-Wits" [I assume the Jerry Payne credited with creating Cross-Wits is the same guy who produced Crossword][/quote]
Probably.  He was also the longtime head writer on "Truth or Consequences," which would figure into Ralph Edwards picking up the idea as "Cross-Wits" ("T or C" longtime producer Ed Bailey also co-produced the first season with Ray Horl before retiring--and "Cross-Wits" was Metromedia's official replacement for "T or C").

PeterMarshallFan

Pilot Page is Up
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 11:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 6 2004, 09:18 PM\'] There were two pilots shot with George Fenneman [the one on your site, and one with Paul Lynde as a celeb] But this post on ATGS references a third pilot, with Lynde HOSTING: [/quote]
Actually, if you read that post a little more closely, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Kaiser simply mistyped and meant to say that Lynde was a *guest* and that George did a better job hosting THAT pilot than he did the OTHER one. [/quote]
 You're right. I read it to say that George was better as host than Paul was, myself. But still, you're right.