Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposal: "The WML?/TTTT Hour"  (Read 2338 times)

DjohnsonCB

Proposal: "The WML?/TTTT Hour"
« on: January 07, 2004, 08:50:55 PM »
I've wondered more than once if "To Tell The Truth" and "What's My Line?" would work if they were combined into one 60-minute show using the same host and four panelists for both games.  They could call it "The What's My Line?/To Tell The Truth Hour" and could get a summer tryout on CBS or some other network.  If they did TTTT first and then had the host say about halfway through the show, "And now let's all play "What's My Line?", at which point they'd use the 1965-made color animated opening, then this time allow the end portion with the mulitcolored title that used to follow the sponsor tag and hasn't been seen in color since 1967 (if they didn't throw it out), it'd be worth it for that as much as anything else.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 08:54:08 PM »
If TTTT didn't work 2 years ago in syndication, why would it work any better on a network and paired with another, similar game?

So, to answer your question, no, I do not think it would work.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 09:18:13 PM »
The only way it would work today is to make all of the WML? contestants millionaires except one who is lying about his line.  The panel would have to figure out which of the three guests is not actually a millionaire.  If the panel guesses incorrectly, the liar is awarded $1,000,000.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 10:39:46 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 06:50 PM\'] I've wondered more than once if "To Tell The Truth" and "What's My Line?" would work if they were combined into one 60-minute show using the same host and four panelists for both games.  

[/quote]
 Wow. I hope you didn't spend too much time wondering, because the same panel over an hour strikes me as some of the dryest television imaginable. Stretch it to 90 minutes with IGAS and you could call it "All-Star Yaaaaaawn!"
If they did TTTT first and then had the host say about halfway through the show, "And now let's all play "What's My Line?", at which point they'd use the 1965-made color animated opening, then this time allow the end portion with the mulitcolored title that used to follow the sponsor tag and hasn't been seen in color since 1967 (if they didn't throw it out), it'd be worth it for that as much as anything else.
To the fourteen die-hards watching, maybe. I can't think of a SINGLE reason they would do that if they were interested in attractive the casual viewer. And if I have to tell you that there are MANY more of THEM than there are of US, then you simply haven't been paying attention.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:49:10 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:50 PM\'] I've wondered more than once if "To Tell The Truth" and "What's My Line?" would work if they were combined into one 60-minute show using the same host and four panelists for both games.  They could call it "The What's My Line?/To Tell The Truth Hour" and could get a summer tryout on CBS or some other network.  If they did TTTT first and then had the host say about halfway through the show, "And now let's all play "What's My Line?", at which point they'd use the 1965-made color animated opening, then this time allow the end portion with the mulitcolored title that used to follow the sponsor tag and hasn't been seen in color since 1967 (if they didn't throw it out), it'd be worth it for that as much as anything else. [/quote]
 I don't think hybrids do that well as a whole...Dating/Newlywed lasted, I believe, 2 years?  And that's not saying much.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 10:59:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:49 PM\'] I don't think hybrids do that well as a whole...Dating/Newlywed lasted, I believe, 2 years?  And that's not saying much. [/quote]
 No, they don't seem to, do they? There's automatically less interest in the syndie market because you have less flexibility in scheduling then you do with two stand-alone half-hours.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 11:04:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 08:50 PM\'] I've wondered more than once if "To Tell The Truth" and "What's My Line?" would work if they were combined into one 60-minute show using the same host and four panelists for both games.  They could call it "The What's My Line?/To Tell The Truth Hour" and could get a summer tryout on CBS or some other network.  If they did TTTT first and then had the host say about halfway through the show, "And now let's all play "What's My Line?", at which point they'd use the 1965-made color animated opening, then this time allow the end portion with the mulitcolored title that used to follow the sponsor tag and hasn't been seen in color since 1967 (if they didn't throw it out), it'd be worth it for that as much as anything else. [/quote]
I don't think hybrids do that well as a whole...Dating/Newlywed lasted, I believe, 2 years?  And that's not saying much. [/quote]
 To be fair, "Dating/Newlywed" was more two shows packaged together than a hybrid.  However, they could do a hybrid in which they start with the "Dating Game," get three couples, have a wedding ceremony, then have the couples go on to play "Newlywed."  Host: Britney Spears.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 11:04 PM\'] To be fair, "Dating/Newlywed" was more two shows packaged together than a hybrid.  However, they could do a hybrid in which they start with the "Dating Game," get three couples, have a wedding ceremony, then have the couples go on to play "Newlywed."  Host: Britney Spears. [/quote]
 Since we're bringing that fluff chick into this, follow 21st Century Newlywed Game up with Divorce Court.

WhammyPower

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 01:43:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 11:56 AM\'] Since we're bringing that fluff chick into this, follow 21st Century Newlywed Game up with Divorce Court. [/quote]
 Maybe Las Vegas Gambit followed by Jane Millionaire, THEN Divorce Court.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 06:47:44 PM »
Going back to the original "proposal", the panel shows have few supporters more loyal than I.  Having said that, I still believe that the only way those sorts of shows would work today is to de-emphasize the game and set aside time to chat with the contestants or get demonstations of their unusual stories and occupations.  The best example of that was probably the syndicated WML? which did away with the entire concept of the player winning any money at all.

I don't believe there's any pressing need to combine the two shows, but I remain convinced that somebody -- probably a cable channel -- ought to be able to revive a classy WML? on a weekly basis.  It would cost virtually nothing and you would not lack for celebrity Mystery Guests who could plug their latest projects.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.