Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A new host for "Let's Ask America"  (Read 8608 times)

colonial

A new host for "Let's Ask America"
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
"Millionaire" won't be the only returning syndie game show to get a new host this fall.

"Let's Ask America," which is expected to have a national rollout for its third season this fall, has tapped comedian/actor Bill Bellamy to replace Kevin Periera as host.  Bellamy confirmed the news in a recent newspaper interview promoting upcoming stand-up shows in Arizona ...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/events/2014/07/22/bill-bellamy-mr-box-office-ask-america/13013033/

Bellamy was a well-known face on MTV in the 1990s, and was recently seen starring in the Byron Allen-produced sitcom "Mr. Box Office."

JD

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: A new host for "Let's Ask America"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
They keep saying national rollout but it's almost August. You'd think we would've heard about it by now, no?7
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »
Interesting. Wasn't Periera producing that? Is he still?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
I took part in an audition for a different host a few weeks ago: comedian Donnell Rawlings (the guy who said "I'M RICH BITCH" on Chappelle's Show). He was pretty bad—he seemed angry that he was hosting a game show. Never mind the fact that he opened AND closed the show with that catchphrase.

I think he's busy now, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:39:42 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
They keep saying national rollout but it's almost August. You'd think we would've heard about it by now, no?7
I'd think so too. Every so often, I'll check the site to see if they've updated the station listings, to no avail.

/Donnell will always be Ashy Larry to me
//Or the guy who got shot by Wayne Brady
///Riverside, muthaf***a!!!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
Interesting. Wasn't Periera producing that? Is he still?

The show's website, which has not been updated and still lists him as the host, doesn't say anything about him being a producer.  "Producer" in that world can mean anything, of course, from consultant to writer.  Could be that a producer credit (and an accompanying small amount of clout) was part of his deal with the "real" producers when he signed to host.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
The show's website, which has not been updated and still lists him as the host, doesn't say anything about him being a producer.

I'm probably totally off the mark then. I want to remember that when he left G4, he formed his own production company and that Let's Ask America was the first offspring of that, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why I want to remember that, so I should probably lay off the hot sauce. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

colonial

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
LAA finally confirmed the Bellamy news in a press release.  Two things of note from the release ...

-- The show is claiming a "national syndication" debut in September, but nothing is listed regarding the number of affiliates
-- Bellamy-hosted episodes will apparently begin airing on GSN in January

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/tvandmediablog/2014/07/29/bill-bellamy-kevin-pereira-lets-ask-america-scripps-mtv-bet/13323773/

JD

Winkfan

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

I thought they had gotten the Kevin Pereira-hosted shows.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

pacdude

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »

I thought they had gotten the Kevin Pereira-hosted shows.

Cordially,
Tammy

RTFA: "Beginning in January 2015, the Game Show Network also will pick up Let's Ask America episodes with Bill Bellamy."

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
Looks like it may not have nationwide clearance this fall after all.

From the article:

The syndicated game show Let’s Ask America from station group E.W. Scripps will be cleared in over 33% of U.S. TV homes when it kicks off its third season on Sept. 8, up from 11% on mostly Scripps stations this season. It’s cleared this fall in 33% of homes on non-Scripps stations and 11% on Scripps stations, with some overlap.

So whoever thought the GSN run next January was overkill...not quite. More than half the country still won't get the show in syndication.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!