Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek profile on CBC  (Read 6038 times)

Jimmy Owen

Alex Trebek profile on CBC
« on: January 06, 2004, 09:05:05 PM »
CBET in Windsor is showing a profile on Alex Trebek at 7pm on Tuesday 1/13 on the "Life and Times" series. If you live in Canada or near the border in Detroit the show might be worth a look.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

drmusic_99

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:38:37 PM »
An interview with him has also been running today on CTV NewsNet.

Blaq

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 05:35:50 PM »
Another tidbit regarding the Alex Trebek biography airing tomorrow (Tuesday) on CBC: let me quote from the Toronto Star's TV guide...

The hour is very good at examining all of his game-show opportunities, starting in 1967 with Strategy and continuing through Pick and Choose, Wizard of Odds, High Rollers, Double Dare, The $128,000 Question, Pitfall, Battlestars and onto Jeopardy!

Wow! Some game shows I didn't even know about! This should be good...

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 07:50:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 05:35 PM\'] Another tidbit regarding the Alex Trebek biography airing tomorrow (Tuesday) on CBC: let me quote from the Toronto Star's TV guide...

The hour is very good at examining all of his game-show opportunities, starting in 1967 with Strategy and continuing through Pick and Choose, Wizard of Odds, High Rollers, Double Dare, The $128,000 Question, Pitfall, Battlestars and onto Jeopardy!

Wow! Some game shows I didn't even know about! This should be good... [/quote]
 Strategy and PIck and Choose were probably Canuck-based shows, done before he hit US shores in 1973.

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 07:50 PM\'][quote name=\'Blaq\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 05:35 PM\'] Another tidbit regarding the Alex Trebek biography airing tomorrow (Tuesday) on CBC: let me quote from the Toronto Star's TV guide...

Wow! Some game shows I didn't even know about! This should be good... [/quote]
Strategy and PIck and Choose were probably Canuck-based shows, done before he hit US shores in 1973.[/quote]
From TV North:

Strategy
CBC
Game Show
First Broadcast: Monday, April 1, 1969, 2:00 p.m.
Final Year Broadcast: 1969
Running Time: 30 minutes
Host: Alex Trebek
Announcer: Jay Nelson
Assistant: Dee Miles

CBC's entry into the big-prize (major appliance) game-show sweepstakes.  Program promotion says: "What makes Strategy different from other television game shows is the circle.  It is painted in different colors to denote four separate zones.  It is a maze, much like the snakes and ladders game of years ago."  Contestants headed to the centre of the board as they answered questions and avoided booby-traps set by the opposition.  Winners left the show after one victory.  Miles presided over a map marking contestants' progrss and some of the booby traps.

The critics jeer: "...none of the four players yesterday stepped on [a booby trap].  We were all waiting for that...Poor host Alex Trebek, what's he ever done to inherit the TV roles he gets?" -- Roy Sheilds, Toronto Star

Pick and Choose must have been either local to Ottawa or Toronto, since it's not in the book.  Strategy came on right after CBC started broadcasting in color, hence the emphasis on the color.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

rugrats1

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 12:42:37 AM »
Speaking of local stints, we shouldn't forget his stint in the late-1960s as Toronto host of "Reach For The Top", CBC's version of "It's Academic".

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 11:58:22 AM »
Speaking of local stints, we shouldn't forget his stint in the late-1960s as Toronto host of "Reach For The Top", CBC's version of "It's Academic".

And while not a GS, Trebek also did a Bandstand-type show up north called Music Hop, where he was billed as "Ali Trebek".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:42 AM\']Speaking of local stints, we shouldn't forget his stint in the late-1960s as Toronto host of "Reach For The Top", CBC's version of "It's Academic".[/quote]
And the inspiration for the "SCTV" "Night School Hi-Q" sketch, with Eugene Levy playing "Alex Trebel" and stone trippin', boo.

HSquares2003

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 12:53:55 PM »
Hey, I remember Alex saying he was a trashman in Cincinnati before he got his start in TV. Shows that everyone starts off as "Joe Average" like the rest of us.

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 07:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:58 AM\']

And while not a GS, Trebek also did a Bandstand-type show up north called Music Hop, where he was billed as "Ali Trebek".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 He hosted some Canuck-based ice skating show called "Stars on Ice" circa the second run of HR era.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 09:38:22 PM »
I saw the show tonight and they did have very brief clips of "Music Hop," "Reach For the Top" and "Stars on Ice."  Some clips as well from "High Rollers" (in a tux, so it must have been a syndie ep) courtesy of MGM and "Battlestars."  The other shows were represented with still photos or in the case of "$128,000 Question" a shot of the set (courtesy Paramount) and then stills.  Alex has the NSF check from "Pitfall" hanging on the wall.  Much of the second half of the show focused on J! and his home life.  Interesting show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 09:49:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 09:38 PM\'] I saw the show tonight and they did have very brief clips of "Music Hop," "Reach For the Top" and "Stars on Ice."  Some clips as well from "High Rollers" (in a tux, so it must have been a syndie ep) courtesy of MGM and "Battlestars." [/quote]
 I guess the Syndie Trebek HR and Battlestars do exist. Doubt they will ever be seen, though :/

rugrats1

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 12:34:24 AM »
I saw the Trebek bio on CBC as well (via satellite) -- very interesting, especially the past clips.

Alex has the NSF check from "Pitfall" hanging on the wall.

Of course, some of us know the story behind it. But Alex put it best by mentioning that he still has hard feelings toward the producers of Pitfall, saying that they were liars, and it was the worst time of his life.

Since Pitfall and the 1980 Let's Make A Deal come from the same production company, I wonder if Monty Hall harbored those same feelings.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 08:20:33 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:34 AM\']

Of course, some of us know the story behind it. But Alex put it best by mentioning that he still has hard feelings toward the producers of Pitfall, saying that they were liars, and it was the worst time of his life.

Since Pitfall and the 1980 Let's Make A Deal come from the same production company, I wonder if Monty Hall harbored those same feelings. [/quote]
 Didn't Hatos-Hall co-produce LMAD80 though? If so, I think Hatos-Hall saw to it that prizes and money were awarded and staff were paid to the best of their ability.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
Pick and Choose must have been either local to Ottawa or Toronto, since it's not in the book. Strategy came on right after CBC started broadcasting in color, hence the emphasis on the color.

Actually, CBC started broadcasting "Hockey Night in Canada" in color as early as 1966, although they probably didn't start colorcasting in daytime until later.  Unfortunatly, most of those hockey games only exist today in B&W kinescope.  I don't think CBC has very much color footage still around since before about 1970.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!