Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Double Dare" double dares  (Read 5711 times)

SamJ93

"Double Dare" double dares
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:45:29 AM »
Been on a bit of a Nick "Double Dare" binge on YouTube lately, and noticed something. As Marc explains in the rules, "If you...think your opponent doesn't know the answer, you can Dare them..."

Did ANY team EVER actually do this? In every episode I've watched thus far, 100% of teams have just taken the physical challenge after a Double Dare, indicating they just didn't know.  Not that I would expect most kids to be able to bluff effectively like that-I know I certainly wouldn't have been able to at that age-but if anyone knows of an instance where someone did, I'd be interested to see it.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

beatlefreak84

Re: "Double Dare" double dares
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
I don't have an example off the top of my head, but I do recall some teams "Daring" the other team, hoping they would get "Double Dared" back and then could answer the question.  When they answered the question right, Marc would ask them if they knew the answer the whole time or if it just came to them.

However, this was done far less often than just taking the "Physical Challenge."  My guess is that, as you said, bluffing is tough to pull off, but there's also the fear of the unknown, especially since the other team can take over control on a right answer, or, if it turns out you're wrong, you give the other team control and a bunch of money.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
I have absolutely seen teams read their opponents and then Dare them, only to promptly answer correctly on the bounce.

Anthony's right, though, this happened far less often than it should have.

What I would have liked to have seen more of is for a team to feign ignorance in order to draw a Dare, and then once the other team took the bait, make some easy money.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

It happens FOUR times in this episode (1988; The Swanky Fellows vs. The Flaming Envelopes), including once on a question that's fun for our group.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Who woulda thought there could actually be some interesting psychological components to a game designed for 12-year-olds?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »
I will add to the mix simply that there was at least one episode that featured zero physical challenges.  The episode was as dry as you might expect; but as a thought experiment, it was very interesting.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
I will add to the mix simply that there was at least one episode that featured zero physical challenges.  The episode was as dry as you might expect; but as a thought experiment, it was very interesting.
Dry as it might be, you still have the toss-ups plus the obstacle course, so it's not like eating a sandwich made up up two slices of white bread with nothing between them
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Dry as it might be, you still have the toss-ups plus the obstacle course, so it's not like eating a sandwich made up up two slices of white bread with nothing between them

True.  It's more like the flavorful grilled cheese at my local beergarden.  Named the Cheezus Christ, menu price $6.66.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
True.  It's more like the flavorful grilled cheese at my local beergarden.  Named the Cheezus Christ, menu price $6.66.

Recently I learned how to roast already-peeled whole garlic cloves, so I have a nice jar of roasted garlic in my fridge. Tried spreading a little of that on the grilled cheese I fixed last night for dinner. HIGHLY recommended.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
It happens FOUR times in this episode (1988; The Swanky Fellows vs. The Flaming Envelopes), including once on a question that's fun for our group.
As a kid I was watching for the questions so seeing a team actually make use of the game's rules like this pleases me. I also like that the physical challenges rely on dexterity and agility instead of just throwing muck around like on Family DD.
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that one episode from the original Super Sloppy Double Dare, in which a team got $750 ($375 apiece), had zero physical challenges (just the toss-ups and obstacle course). It seems theoretically, that was the one and only way for a team of two kids to potentially make that much money, under the original Nickelodeon format and runtime (24 minutes, 1 commercial break).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
But you repeat yourself. And thank you for the extra math lesson there.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
On the other side of the coin, what's the most number of physical challenges in one episode? I have six recorded in a 1986 episode, with three in each round. And they managed to do four in round 1 of a 1987 episode.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
I can think of one example of a team using the strategy; it was "Family Double Dare" and the question was a story math problem. Dad immediately blurts out "Dare!," the other family spends ten seconds huddling and talking and double-dares back, and Dad has now had enough time to do the problem in his head and gives Marc the answer.