Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Game Show TV Milestone  (Read 6610 times)

AH3RD

Another Game Show TV Milestone
« on: January 07, 2004, 10:48:40 AM »
JANUARY 8, 1979

"It's more than 'Password', it's 'Password+Plus'!"

Password+Plus, a fourth incarnation of Goodson-Todman’s tried and true War Of The Words, premiered @ 12:30 p.m./11:30 a.m. Central on NBC Daytime (following the debut of All-Star Secrets, a Bob Eubanks-hosted vehicle). Originally announced in Variety as Password '79, a decision was made two weeks before the debut to change the title to Password+Plus. 59-year-old Allen Ludden was back in the saddle as emcee, as Gene Wood was tapped to be announcer; Elizabeth Montgomery and Robert Foxworth, both topnotch Password players of the past, were the first-week celebrities. (John Harlan [who announced ABC’s Password], Bob Hilton and Johnny Olson also took their turns at announcing during the run.)

Here, 2 celebrity/contestant teams compete. The object here is to solve a "Password Puzzle", a famous person, place, thing, or title. Up to 5 Passwords are geussed by the teams, with each Password working as a clue to The Password Puzzle. Teams alternate giving clues, with each team receiving 2 chances. When a team guesses a password, they are given a chance to solve The Password Puzzle to win the round. Teams alternate playing first and giving/guessing as in the classic Password game. Rounds 1 & 2 are worth $100 each, rounds 3 & 4 $200 each. The first team to amass or exceed $300 wins the match and earns the right to play the bonus round: "Alphabetics," a revamped edition of the old “Lightning Round” in the Passwords of the past (and borrowing a bit from ABC’s The $20,000 Pyramid).

Alphabetics is played with ten Passwords that start with ten consecutive letters of the alphabet. The celebrity has 60 seconds to convey the Passwords to the contestant as in The Lightning Round. Each Password must be solved or passed before the next Password is revealed, and a celebrity can only go back to those words he/she passed on after revealing all ten. Each Password solved is worth $100, and completing all ten Passwords wins the contestant $5,000. If the celebrity gives an illegal clue, the potential jackpot was lowered by $1,000.

The game managed to survive the loss of Allen Ludden, who, due to illness, was forced to retire from the show in October 1980 and was superceded by Tom Kennedy. (Ludden took a 4-week sabbatical in April 1980 to have surgery done on him, and Bill Cullen hosted in his stead.) An all-celebrity week was scheduled for the first Kennedy week of shows in order to ease the transition, which was comprised of Jim Perry from Card Sharks, Greg Morris, Judy Norton-Taylor and Nancy Walker. Tom said some heartfelt words about Allen before the start of his first show, and then moved right into the game. Kennedy did indeed guide Password+Plus and its viewers through its most trying transitional period, even in the wake of Ludden’s passing in June 1981 (which was never mentioned on the show).

Rich Jeffries had replaced Gene Wood as announcer by this point. Near the end of the run, in March 1982, Jack Narz, Tom Kennedy’s brother, swapped places with him for one game during his week playing Password+Plus. Jack hosted and Tom played. On March 26, Password+Plus wrapped up a shaky yet nice 3 ½-year run, after 807 shows. The final celebrity panelists were Audrey Landers and Tom Poston. Tom Kennedy mentioned his late friend and colleague in the show’s fading moments:

"This is the last in our series of Password+Plus. Even though our dear friend Allen Ludden is not with us at this particular moment, as you well know he hosted this show as only he could do for something like 18 years. I was very proud to have the last year and a half here at the helm. All I can say is you know the show is going to be back soon..."

Sure enough, 2 years later, in September 1984, Password was back on NBC…in the form of the newly revamped Super Password, emceed by Bert Convy.

(Sources Of Info: The Rules Of The Game: "Pasword", The Allen Ludden Page-Password Plus: 1979-82)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 10:34:38 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 11:15:43 AM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:48 AM\'] Password+Plus, a fourth incarnation of Goodson-Todman’s tried and true War Of The Words, premiered @ 11:30 a.m. Eastern on NBC Daytime [/quote]
 Actually, it debuted at 11:30 am Central time. Wheel Of Fortune was NBC's 11:30am Eastern time program followed by Jeopardy! starring Art Fleming.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 09:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:48 AM\'] Password+Plus, a fourth incarnation of Goodson-Todman’s tried and true War Of The Words, premiered @ 11:30 a.m. Eastern on NBC Daytime [/quote]
Actually, it debuted at 11:30 am Central time. Wheel Of Fortune was NBC's 11:30am Eastern time program followed by Jeopardy! starring Art Fleming. [/quote]
 That follows, since it aired at 10:30 out here on the West Coast, from what I remember. For much of its run Wheel was a 10:00a show, too. And Sale Of The Century, both incarnations of Blockbusters, Las Vegas Gambit, Classic Concentration, Time Machine, and many others that aren't popping into my head right now were all in the 9:00a-9:30a timeslot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 12:54:44 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:48 AM\'] Alphabetics is played with ten Passwords that start with ten consecutive letters of the alphabet. The celebrity has 60 seconds to convey the Passwords to the contestant as in The Lightning Round. Each Password must be solved or passed before the next Password is revealed, and a celebrity can only go back to those words he/she passed on after revealing all ten. Each Password solved is worth $100, and completing all ten Passwords wins the contestant $5,000. If the celebrity gives an illegal clue, the potential jackpot was lowered by $1,000.
 [/quote]
 Question: were contestants ever allowed to give clues in Alphabetics, or on Super Password's bonus round*?

*I'm not debating what the SP end game was called. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 01:07:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 12:54 PM\'] Question: were contestants ever allowed to give clues in Alphabetics, or on Super Password's bonus round*?

*I'm not debating what the SP end game was called. :-P [/quote]
No, they were not. In fact, I recall one instance when the contestant accidentally sat in the giver's chair and Allen said to her, "You're over there. Scoey sits here".
And as far as I'm concerned, the Super Password end game was Alphabetics, no matter what Bert Convy wanted to call it, which I know is a nice grown-up attitude.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:09:17 PM by Don Howard »

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 01:07 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 12:54 PM\'] Question: were contestants ever allowed to give clues in Alphabetics, or on Super Password's bonus round*?

No, they were not. In fact, I recall one instance when the contestant accidentally sat in the giver's chair and Allen said to her, "You're over there. Scoey sits here".
And as far as I'm concerned, the Super Password end game was Alphabetics, no matter what Bert Convy wanted to call it, which I know is a nice grown-up attitude. [/quote]
 I'm convinced NBC had some influence in retitling and/or revamping shows that came back shortly after their original cancellation.  I can think of four specific instances where a revival (discounting The Magnificent Marble Machine where a revival occurred two years or so after the cancellation of a previous version:

Name That Tune (1974-75, 1977)
High Rollers(1974-76, 1978-80)
Battlestars/The New Battlestars(1981-82, 1983)
Password Plus/Super Password(1979-82, 1984-89)

I'm just thinking the network said, "Hey, make a few changes so people think they're getting something different and not the same thing they wouldn't watch last time" in the latter two cases.  I have no other explanation for Bert calling Alphabetics "Super Password," or whatever he called it.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:42:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 11:54 AM\'] [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 10:48 AM\'] Alphabetics is played with ten Passwords that start with ten consecutive letters of the alphabet. The celebrity has 60 seconds to convey the Passwords to the contestant as in The Lightning Round. Each Password must be solved or passed before the next Password is revealed, and a celebrity can only go back to those words he/she passed on after revealing all ten. Each Password solved is worth $100, and completing all ten Passwords wins the contestant $5,000. If the celebrity gives an illegal clue, the potential jackpot was lowered by $1,000.
 [/quote]
Question: were contestants ever allowed to give clues in Alphabetics, or on Super Password's bonus round*?

So, that didn't mean the word was forfeited in the event of an illegal clue?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 05:23:34 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 04:42 PM\']So, that didn't mean the word was forfeited in the event of an illegal clue?[/quote]
Not on Password Plus, no. I remember a rather humorous Alphabetics where Jack Klugman thinks he's lost the $5000 for the contestant entirely and is despairing, and it takes Allen Ludden a good half-minute to explain to him that his illegal clue only knocked the prize down to $4000.

ObNitpick: It's "Password Plus", not "Password+Plus". Nor is "The Price Is Right" really titled "$the price is right".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 05:30:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 04:42 PM\']So, that didn't mean the word was forfeited in the event of an illegal clue?[/quote]
Not on Password Plus, no. I remember a rather humorous Alphabetics where Jack Klugman thinks he's lost the $5000 for the contestant entirely and is despairing, and it takes Allen Ludden a good half-minute to explain to him that his illegal clue only knocked the prize down to $4000.

ObNitpick: It's "Password Plus", not "Password+Plus". Nor is "The Price Is Right" really titled "$the price is right". [/quote]
That rule, while good for the contestant, really disrupted the flow of the mo.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:32:21 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 06:07:03 PM »
Oh, OK. So they just plain skipped the word in the event of an illegal clue and went back to it, just like if they CHOSE to skip it, right?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 06:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:07 PM\'] Oh, OK. So they just plain skipped the word in the event of an illegal clue and went back to it, just like if they CHOSE to skip it, right? [/quote]
 On SUPER PASSWORD?  No.  An illegal clue meant forfeiture of the big money (but they still got $100 for each word garnered legally).

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

calliaume

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 06:24:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:30 PM\'] That rule, while good for the contestant, really disrupted the flow of the mo. [/quote]
 Insert Jm J. Bullock joke here?

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 06:36:20 PM »
Rich Jeffries had replaced Gene Wood as announcer by this point.

No, Jeffries was only a fill-in; Gene was the main announcer for the entire run.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 06:40:02 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:07 PM\'] Oh, OK. So they just plain skipped the word in the event of an illegal clue and went back to it, just like if they CHOSE to skip it, right? [/quote]
On SUPER PASSWORD?  No.  An illegal clue meant forfeiture of the big money (but they still got $100 for each word garnered legally).

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts [/quote]
 Well, not just Super Password, but also Password Plus as well, was what the question was referring to.

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 06:41:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 12:34 PM\']
That follows, since it aired at 10:30 out here on the West Coast, from what I remember. For much of its run Wheel was a 10:00a show, too. And Sale Of The Century, both incarnations of Blockbusters, Las Vegas Gambit, Classic Concentration, Time Machine, and many others that aren't popping into my head right now were all in the 9:00a-9:30a timeslot. [/quote]
 Both Blockbusters runs and Classic Concentration(original run) had the NBC 10:30EST time slot(9:30 PST) for their enrire runs.