Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Ask America season 3 with Bill Bellamy  (Read 16940 times)

chad1m

Re: Let's Ask America season 3 with Bill Bellamy
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
As somebody who's taken a big gamble on a quiz show, having the fallback does make it sting a little less if you whiffed on it. As I did.
If we're playing Palmer Bingo, mark the Moe Train Memorial Square on your cards.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
I wouldn't go that far: Moe brought up his impending appearance every day, then on the day of the scheduled broadcast, every hour. Then after the collective silence from our group, he disappeared, ne'er to be heard from again.

As I've mentioned previously, I don't particularly care for the Big Horkin' Final Question in the way that LAA does it, but the show doesn't air in my market so I don't think about it much.

Chris is right: knowing that there's a consolation prize does soften the blow of losing nearly everything.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 01:59:09 PM »
I wouldn't go that far: Moe brought up his impending appearance every day, then on the day of the scheduled broadcast, every hour. Then after the collective silence from our group, he disappeared, ne'er to be heard from again.
I'm not going to dig through thousands of posts, but it does come up several times a month, many occasions that are superfluous. "Say, who here has been on Millionaire? Remember, like me?". Which, you know, would be more palatable if it was from a half million dollar winner. But someone who let well-documented hubris get in the way of cashing in big? It's great that he made it on and he wants to keep talking about it and I'm happy he has a treasured life experience with Hat Man, but it's been a year. Others have been on shows around the same time and talk about it 10% as frequently.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:02:30 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
The takeaway here is that no one should ever look back fondly on a thing that happened in their life, and certainly not mention it publicly.

/and Millionaire, 1 vs. 100, Password, the various iterations of Playmania...did I forget any?
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
And I went down a level on Password, don't forget that. But does it up come in conversations all the time? Certainly not.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
But does it up come in conversations all the time? Certainly not.
And I suspect that in due time the mentions of Chris P. on Millionaire will subside as well. And at the time I recall you did seem to mention your own appearances quite a lot.

(This is all completely straight, no jokes or snideness or anything on my part)

When you got to be on Jeopardy, I assume you told everyone who would listen and wanted people to watch and share in the joy of you reaching a life-list thing. That's to be expected; it is a big deal and something to be proud of. Ditto for Millionaire. It is a big hairy deal to get on a national game show, win or lose. Even if you lose, you were able to get farther on the ladder than lots of people who try out and don't make it past the Scantron or audition phase.

Given that you have made it to the pinnacle many, many times (and to that end, more times by a lot than most people who will try out will get) why not let Chris P. have his moment in the sun? And you're right, he wasn't a big winner but not everyone can be. The membership here isn't going to think more or less of him because of how well he did on the show, we've all made our judgments and at this point my eyes glide past his mentions of the show, and pointing out yet again that he's mentioning it doesn't mean we think worse of him for saying it or better of you for pointing it out. It's just more texts to get to what we're talking about.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
That's a fine enough assessment. We're probably going to agree to disagree, but I respect your perspective.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
The membership here isn't going to think more or less of him because of how well he did on the show, we've all made our judgments and at this point my eyes glide past his mentions of the show, and pointing out yet again that he's mentioning it doesn't mean we think worse of him for saying it or better of you for pointing it out. It's just more texts to get to what we're talking about.
This part is debatable.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Thunder

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
As somebody who's taken a big gamble on a quiz show, having the fallback does make it sting a little less if you whiffed on it. As I did.
If we're playing Palmer Bingo, mark the Moe Train Memorial Square on your cards.

I'm actually giving him credit for not coming in here Chris Farley/Rob Ford style and trying to bodyslam you for this.

/Unless he has you on his ignore list.

//I would have paid to watch him do one of his verbal assaults on Cedric and/or the production staff after the Please Leave Now Red Lights came down.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
I'm not going to dig through thousands of posts, but it does come up several times a month, many occasions that are superfluous. "Say, who here has been on Millionaire? Remember, like me?". Which, you know, would be more palatable if it was from a half million dollar winner. But someone who let well-documented hubris get in the way of cashing in big? It's great that he made it on and he wants to keep talking about it and I'm happy he has a treasured life experience with Hat Man, but it's been a year. Others have been on shows around the same time and talk about it 10% as frequently.

You know something, I have a major problem with a lot of things in this post.

First of all, I have a problem with you criticizing me for bringing up something pertinent to this discussion by misrepresenting what happened. Hubris played no role in my decision to try and answer the question (to say otherwise is to bear false witness) and I should've walked away. But I found myself in a situation where I had feared for the entire two weeks leading up to it: stuck, without lifelines, on a question where I didn't know for sure but couldn't convince myself not to potentially run the risk of losing all that money on a one-out-of-four shot. It sure didn't stop you from uploading the episode to YouTube, did it?

And I'm sorry you're offended by me mentioning it. I feel the same way about a large majority of what you say as well, but for the most part I keep it to myself. Especially when I see posts about popcorn and incontinent animals. I'm sorry I couldn't set a record* for most winnings for a contestant who decided to walk away. Does that make you better than me?

I'll keep my pertinent comments to myself next time. Lest I offend The Great All-Knowing Chad Mosher's sensibilities.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:18:05 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 12:18:39 AM »
The membership here isn't going to think more or less of him because of how well he did on the show, we've all made our judgments and at this point my eyes glide past his mentions of the show, and pointing out yet again that he's mentioning it doesn't mean we think worse of him for saying it or better of you for pointing it out. It's just more texts to get to what we're talking about.
This part is debatable.

Please elaborate, Mark, because I'm legitimately curious as to where you're going with this.

//I would have paid to watch him do one of his verbal assaults on Cedric and/or the production staff after the Please Leave Now Red Lights came down.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would've loved to have seen that.

I'm sure now that most of you were watching to see me fail. Well, congratulations, you got your wish. Me taken down a peg. That's what so many of you wanted, right?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:23 AM »
I'm sure now that most of you were watching to see me fail.

FWIW, I didn't even watch.

/the martyr card, as per usual, does not become you

PYLdude

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »
I'm sure now that most of you were watching to see me fail.

FWIW, I didn't even watch.

/the martyr card, as per usual, does not become you

You feel.I played it, that's your opinion and you're entitlted to it. It certainly wasn't intentional if I did.

Doesn't make my statement completely false though. I know people were watching just to see me fall on my face, among those that did.

ETA: I probably would've been better off just leaving it be, but I'm gonna be damned if I let someone like Chad come after me like that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:40:00 AM by PYLdude »

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »
Doesn't make my statement completely false though. I know people were watching just to see me fall on my face, among those that did.

Never for a second did I question the veracity of the comment. I'm certain it's accurate. The part that baffles me is that you are apparently just figuring this out now.

But if you don't think "You got what you wanted, something bad happened to me, are you happy now?" is playing the victim, then those blinders are on more tightly than even I thought.