Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Game Show TV Milestone  (Read 6627 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another Game Show TV Milestone
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 07:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 04:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 12:34 PM\']
That follows, since it aired at 10:30 out here on the West Coast, from what I remember. For much of its run Wheel was a 10:00a show, too. And Sale Of The Century, both incarnations of Blockbusters, Las Vegas Gambit, Classic Concentration, Time Machine, and many others that aren't popping into my head right now were all in the 9:00a-9:30a timeslot. [/quote]
Both Blockbusters runs and Classic Concentration(original run) had the NBC 10:30EST time slot(9:30 PST) for their enrire runs. [/quote]
 You're right. I meant to say "9:00a & 9:30a" timeslots above.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 07:37:45 PM »
OK, in Alphabetics (and Super Password round), if a word is said the INSTANT the clock hits zero, is credit given?

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 08:04:04 PM »
OK, in Alphabetics (and Super Password round), if a word is said the INSTANT the clock hits zero, is credit given?

Yes it is.

As a matter of fact, I saw an episode in which a contestant said the last word well after the clock hit double zero, and she was credited with the win and $35,000.

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:04:47 PM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 09:05:04 AM »
Battlestars/The New Battlestars(1981-82, 1983)

I'm just thinking the network said, "Hey, make a few changes so people think they're getting something different and not the same thing they wouldn't watch last time" in the latter two cases. I have no other explanation for Bert calling Alphabetics "Super Password," or whatever he called it.

From what I heard, the ratings of the original "Battlestars" were actually quite good.  I believe it was only cancelled to make room for soaps (wasn't "Texas" moved into that time slot?)  I remember reading the ratings for the 11:30 slot weren't as good for several years after.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 09:07:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 09:05 AM\']

From what I heard, the ratings of the original "Battlestars" were actually quite good.  I believe it was only cancelled to make room for soaps (wasn't "Texas" moved into that time slot?)  I remember reading the ratings for the 11:30 slot weren't as good for several years after. [/quote]
 Battlestars and Blockbusters were axed and made way for Texas to move from 3PM EST to 11AM EST on 4/26/82. CHiPs reruns took the 3PM time slot from 4/26/82-9/10/82(Fantasy premiered the following Monday)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 12:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 05:07 PM\'] Oh, OK. So they just plain skipped the word in the event of an illegal clue and went back to it, just like if they CHOSE to skip it, right? [/quote]
On SUPER PASSWORD?  No.  An illegal clue meant forfeiture of the big money (but they still got $100 for each word garnered legally).

Doug -- soon to celebrate 300 posts [/quote]
Well, not just Super Password, but also Password Plus as well, was what the question was referring to. [/quote]
You know, it's funny.  I don't recall an instance on P+ where both an illegal clue was given and the correct word wasn't guessed (that's not to say it never happened, just I that don't recall seeing it happen), so I'm not really sure whether going back to that word after the others had been guessed or passed was allowable under the rules.  Chris C. would almost assuredly know better than I would.

But we do know that an illegal clue on SP meant contestants were going for a maximum of $900.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:00:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 11:39:03 PM »
As a matter of fact, I saw an episode in which a contestant said the last word well after the clock hit double zero, and she was credited with the win and $35,000.

There was another ep where the contestant guessed the last word well after the buzzer...the producers decided to let Bert make the call to determine this potential $20K win, and while I definitely wouldn't have given it to the contestant, I guess Bert was more the generous sort. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 11:59:55 PM »
And a clip of that moment can be found at JRJ's site.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 12:22:17 AM by gameshowguy2000 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 08:40:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 7 2004, 06:07 PM\']Oh, OK. So they just plain skipped the word in the event of an illegal clue and went back to it, just like if they CHOSE to skip it, right?[/quote]
I don't think anyone's quite caught what you're asking here (and maybe I'm not either, but):

When an illegal clue was given in Alphabetics on P+, the "illegal clue" sound would play, but the password at hand would still be the one in play. For example,

(DROPOUT)

Giver: "High school"

(illegal sfx)

Giver: "quitter"

Receiver: "dropout"

(ding)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

HSquares2003

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 10:55:35 AM »
I know FreChuckle hasn't been the sharpest tool in the shed, but do ya think they might give Password(or whatever title they will use like p+, or Super Password) another try. It has been 15 years since the Convy version signed off for good IIRC. Hopefully they won't botch the hell out of it like they did with MG98 and the train wreck aka Card Sharks 2001.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 11:37:17 AM »
The official rule:

If a celebrity gives an illegal clue (even if it is the actual password itself), play continues on the password which the illegal clue was intended to communicate.  Despite the illegal clue, this password must be guessed by the player in order to win the big money.  However, each illegal clue reduces the contestant's potential winnings on that play of Alphabetics by $1,000 (if they exceed four illegal clues, the value of winning Alphabetics remains at $1,000).

So a contestant could get nine passwords with nine illegal clues being given and still win $900 without penalty.

SP had a better scoring system for Alphabetics.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 11:45:11 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 11:46:14 AM »
Hopefully they won't botch the hell out of it like they did with MG98 and the train wreck aka Card Sharks 2001.
You're dreaming.

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 12:40:04 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 10:55 AM\'] I know FreChuckle hasn't been the sharpest tool in the shed, but do ya think they might give Password(or whatever title they will use like p+, or Super Password) another try. It has been 15 years since the Convy version signed off for good IIRC. Hopefully they won't botch the hell out of it like they did with MG98 and the train wreck aka Card Sharks 2001. [/quote]
 $20 says they would drop the one thing that made the show so challenging: single-word clues. They'd keep the puzzle setup just so they can say they're different than Pyramid.

I'm dead serious, they left a huge flaw in CS 01 and Feud, and I would not put it past them here.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

brianhenke

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
And in Cincinnati, NBC programming was still being pre-empted by the still-going Bob Braun (a game show host in the past, but that's another story) Show. P+ would only be seen twice during its run on WLWT, both in October 1979 due to baseball playoffs (that was a long time ago - 25 years ago I was a huge baseball fan, but when greed and big and bigger money contracts killed  much of the appeal of the game...)

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
The leaves start to change color in May?