Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Bowling on metvnetwork.com  (Read 26854 times)

irwinsjournal.com

Re: Celebrity Bowling on metvnetwork.com
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »
Episodes 132 to 136 are posted for the week of 12/15/2014.

Alex Trebek and Jim McKrell are teamed in Episode 133. 

I've noticed that there's nary a word from the bowling pro in these later episodes, and that they have more item promotions and therefore less actual playing time.   
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
There were some 'reruns' in the postings for the week of 12/2/2014, but I was able to confirm that Charles Nelson Reilly and Robert Clary rolled a 66 in Episode 142, "beating" the previous low score of 67 recorded by the Lennon Sisters according to Jed Allan at the show close.   

Since #142 is the third to last episode of the original series, I'm presuming (hopefully correctly!) that this stands as the lowest-ever score on Celebrity Bowling's run.

irwinsjournal.com

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
This week's episodes range from #144 (apparently next-to-last in the series), then back to #10, #30*, #31, and #37**

*featuring not-yet-Squares emcee John Davidson
**featuring then-Squares emcee Peter Marshall opposing not-yet-Knockout emcee Arte Johnson
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
Hey, someone else is paying attention :)

Having watched #143 and #144 now, I can confirm with reasonable confidence that the 66 recorded in #142 is the lowest score recorded.

I also watched #10, which had the 206 rolled by Greg Morris and John Beradino, which stood as the top score before #70 when Michael Cole and Tige Andrews scored 266 and won the car easily.

Enough for me to start a "Notable Scores" section in the Wikipedia page for the show, thus confirming that I have too much time on my hands.

I think all of the posts from MeTV for the week of 1/5/2015 were all "reruns" (previously posted eps) since I remember some of the jokes, for example, Jed's saying that "If a team scores 210 or better, we will launch an investigation" and Gary Owens quipping that the sixth frame bowled off camera was "also bowled in the nude."

irwinsjournal.com

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »
Since #144 is (apparently?) the finale, were there any comments or hints that it was indeed the last episode?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 06:05:47 AM »
Since #144 is (apparently?) the finale, were there any comments or hints that it was indeed the last episode?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe--especially back then--syndicated shows rarely announced their last episode, since nobody on staff really knew if it would be the last or not until they got their staton signups for the following season.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe--especially back then--syndicated shows rarely announced their last episode, since nobody on staff really knew if it would be the last or not until they got their staton signups for the following season.

That, plus episodes ran out of production order in most markets, and it would look a little silly to make a big deal about your last episode in the middle of the season. 
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
There was no indication at the end of #144.  There was the usual "See you next time on Celebrity Bowling!" close.   I was looking for that too.

irwinsjournal.com

GameShowFan

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Enough for me to start a "Notable Scores" section in the Wikipedia page for the show, thus confirming that I have too much time on my hands.

Did you write this painful paragraph?

In Episode 70, the team of the actor Michael Cole and Tige Andrews scored a 266 (34 less than the maximum "perfect score" of 300), easily surpassing the 210 score needed to win the top prize (a new car at the time). Jed Allan remarked that the previous high score was a 206, which was reached by Greg Morris and John Beradino in Episode 10. Cole and Andrews recorded a "mark" (strike or spare) in every frame bowled, as did Morris and Beradino.

Thunder

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »
That was so painful to read that I had to go remove the redundancy immediately.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
That's Wikipedia.   People cooperate.

The edit looks fine to me. 

irwinsjournal.com

mmb5

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
Episodes 132 to 136 are posted for the week of 12/15/2014.

Alex Trebek and Jim McKrell are teamed in Episode 133. 

I've noticed that there's nary a word from the bowling pro in these later episodes, and that they have more item promotions and therefore less actual playing time.

An entire season was shot over a 3-day weekend.  The bowling pro was probably on the ground in the fetal position.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Thunder

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
18 games in 3 days? I did back-to-back 9-game sweepers four months ago.

/Though I know what you were getting at...

ChuckNet

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
Me too.  This is one of those rare shows that I never saw when it originally aired, so this modern re-discovery has been an absolute delight.

And hey, MeTV is, at least in some small, small way, showing an interest in game shows!  I still say that Cullen's Pyramid would be a fun addition to a retro channel.

Nice to see those CB episodes are still making the rounds...was def an underrated show!

As for Cullen's Pyramid, I've been saying that same thing for awhile...given how many 70s primetime stars of the era appeared on that version, would def be a nice fit for Antenna, Me-TV, Cozi or a similar sub-network.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chad1m

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 03:57:36 PM »
I assume it will only be up for a couple more days, so watch while you still can Alex Trebek teaming with Jim McKrell (in matching shirts) against Dick Gautier and Scatman Crothers.