Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dressing for auditions  (Read 10807 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Dressing for auditions
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
This came to mind when I was considering trying out for The Chase in Indianapolis next weekend, until I saw potential contestants can try out once per year.

When I tried out for The Chase in Chicago in April, I was the only contestant wannabe in a suit.  Most males were in a dress shirt and slacks, but no tie.  When I tried out for Jeopardy! in 2012, every male wore at least a dress shirt with a blazer, if not a suit.  Are we in an age where it's OK or even suggested to dress more casually for a formal game show interview?  I was always told dress to impress and to wear what you'd wear on the show.

pacdude

Re: Dressing for auditions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
We were told what to wear for our Chase interview, and it was "Business casual." I showed up in a button-up short-sleeved shirt and jeans. There were no fucks given by anyone.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
With Jeopardy, it seems like formality is still the word of the day. Both times I tried out I wore somewhat dressy clothes, a shirt and tie the first time and a sweater the second time (which, considering it was 90 degrees out, was not the smartest idea). The first time I tried out for Millionaire I overdressed, and the next two times I was more casual. My Chase auditions, same principle.

I'm guessing shows trust you to dress yourself, so they for the most part leave you alone. Unless you have such an ass-backwards fashion sense that you wear a leisure suit to an audition.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
When I auditioned for Millionaire this past summer, no dress code/suggestion was listed, and everyone dressed casually.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »
Unless you have such an ass-backwards fashion sense that you wear a leisure suit to an audition.

Wonders if that was wrong, and should he have not done that
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Unless you have such an ass-backwards fashion sense that you wear a leisure suit to an audition.

I don't get it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

pacdude

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »

I don't get it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:54:18 PM »
With Jeopardy, it seems like formality is still the word of the day. Both times I tried out I wore somewhat dressy clothes, a shirt and tie the first time and a sweater the second time (which, considering it was 90 degrees out, was not the smartest idea).
Given how "business casual" their contestants seem to be, I'm actually kinda surprised.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

I don't get it.

My previous point still stands, as I don't see what was wrong with what I said.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »

Nothing was wrong with what you said. You are simply completely missing the reference, even after it was explained to you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »

Nothing was wrong with what you said. You are simply completely missing the reference, even after it was explained to you.

No, I got it. I just was curious as to why you trotted it out there, because I wasn't quite sure it really was applicable to the situation.

Apologies for my misconstruing of your intent.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
Typically, unless there is a specified dress code, I tend to go in a polo shirt (nice, but still a short-sleeve polo shirt) and either black dress pants or khakis, depending on the color of the polo.  Basically, how I would dress for work.  And, no; I have never been scrutinized for my wardrobe before.

For The Chase, on the first day of auditions, people were dressed in all kinds of different clothes, but most were business casual.  On the second day, they told us to dress like we were actually going to be on the show, so most guys wore a shirt/tie (including me), and one guy wore a full suit.

Only for Sports Jeopardy! did they explicitly tell us to go dressed casually, and most everyone was in shorts, a sports jersey or team logo T-shirt, and sneakers.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:55 AM »
This came to mind when I was considering trying out for The Chase in Indianapolis next weekend, until I saw potential contestants can try out once per year.

When I tried out for The Chase in Chicago in April, I was the only contestant wannabe in a suit.  Most males were in a dress shirt and slacks, but no tie.  When I tried out for Jeopardy! in 2012, every male wore at least a dress shirt with a blazer, if not a suit.  Are we in an age where it's OK or even suggested to dress more casually for a formal game show interview?  I was always told dress to impress and to wear what you'd wear on the show.

My e-mail from the WoF audition in L.A. said: "Dress is casual/neat." (Same wording from 2010 as this year.) I'm going with a dress shirt with tie and slacks, no jacket. (Can't remember exactly what I wore four years ago.) At the Wheelmobile event at L.A. Live last July, it was casual (and it was HOT outside). Day 1, I wore a Hawaiian print shirt. Day 2, the day I got picked, short sleeve polo.

My e-mail from The Chase audition in L.A. last year said: "There are no specific dress code requirements, but we will be taking reference photos for casting purposes, so please come well groomed." I think I went in a polo shirt and slacks.

Good luck, Klauss!

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »

I don't get it.

Would a picture of Chris in a leisure suit have made you get the joke a little easier?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 05:53:04 AM »
Good luck, Klauss!
I appreciate it, but I can't try out again this year.  They stated on their casting page that one can try out only once per calendar year.