Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?  (Read 48336 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »
Suggestion: Whomever questioned the most answers correctly during the game is the winner in case of a tie.
And if they answered the same amount correctly, what do you do then?
I'd be willing to wager that wouldn't happen often.  Just putting out an idea.  If Sony wants to use it, permission granted.

Now answer his question.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
Suggestion: Whomever questioned the most answers correctly during the game is the winner in case of a tie.
And if they answered the same amount correctly, what do you do then?
I'd be willing to wager that wouldn't happen often.  Just putting out an idea.  If Sony wants to use it, permission granted.

Now answer his question.
Champ would win unbeaten.  If champ is not involved, the person who wagered the most in FJ wins.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chad1m

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »
Champ would win unbeaten.  If champ is not involved, the person who wagered the most in FJ wins.

"And by the time they get through all the rules, the first question they ask is 'Can you come back tomorrow?'" -- George Carlin
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »
Since the thread has already gone over the cliff, don what Wheel of Fortune does: a single toss-up puzzle determines the winner.

/And for once, a picture contributes to the discussion instead of detracting from it.
//"champ would win unbeaten"? What does that even mean?
///the fact that someone is now saying that a third tiebreaker is whoever bets the most in FJ wins tells you where this has gone.
////Steak tonight for J. Bradford Owen the Third.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
Well, in order to defeat the Champ, you actually have to beat the Champ.  Not tie.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Well, in order to defeat the Champ, you actually have to beat the Champ.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chrisholland03

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
Well, in order to defeat the Champ, you actually have to beat the Champ.

Loser spotted, he's wearing a tie.

I was hoping this thread was about Jeopardy! becoming less formal in attire.

I was wrong.

Fedya

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

I think this post of mine from 2012 still holds true.

Technically, I think you wanted this:

-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jage

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »
Thinking about it a bit, I'm fine with a tiebreaker question. It's SOP in just about any other game show and while co-champs was a cool novelty, it won't detract from me watching.
Trying to think of other shows where a tie wouldn't be broken. PYL comes to mine.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »
Didn't Wheel use to just bring all three players back if there was a tie?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2015, 09:11:20 PM »
Didn't Wheel use to just bring all three players back if there was a tie?

In daytime, yes. I want to say they continued the game, adding together both days' scores. In nighttime, it's always been an extra speed-up round, or now, a toss-up.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Fedya

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
If we're going to be unserious, solve the Jeopardy! ties problem the way Tic Tac Dough did.  If two players tie on, say, $20,000, put $20,000 in a pot and whoever wins the next show gets what's in front of them plus the $20K.  That could even be the new player.  The idea that the player who wasn't even on the day before could get the money will spur players not to go for the tie.

Hell, it worked for Merv Griffin's Crosswords.

[/sarcasm]
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
If we're going to be unserious, solve the Jeopardy! ties problem the way Tic Tac Dough did.  If two players tie on, say, $20,000, put $20,000 in a pot and whoever wins the next show gets what's in front of them plus the $20K.  That could even be the new player.  The idea that the player who wasn't even on the day before could get the money will spur players not to go for the tie.
If there was a way to convey to the audience that a carryover pot was only available to the previously tied players (maybe you bring it up at the top of the show and just before Final Jeopardy) I think that would be genius. (It's one of the few things I like about the Raj/Hols de Geier family of card games; if two players play the same card on the previous trick, that prize is carried forward but the other players aren't eligible to win it).
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
The idea of building up a potential five-figure pot to tie, but still going home with "just" $2,000 still leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste, but I dunno if there's a perfect alternate; they all have flaws in a way.

Semi-serious idea here. On Win Ben Stein's Money, if a contestant tied Ben in the Best of Ten Test of Knowledge, he or she received a $1,000 bonus. I wouldn't mind giving the tie-breaker runner-up an extra $3,000 (simply a flat $5K) for his or her work. Then again, with a tiebreaker, the ending is prolly already rushed enough; I wonder if Alex has time to explain why the 2nd place contestant's scoreboard now says $5,000 and not $2,000. I guess a quick explanation right before the category is revealed? "The winner comes back tomorrow, the runner-up takes home $5,000."

There's also the fact that two contestants could tie at $500...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!