Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Holiday Marathons  (Read 15520 times)

jimlangefan

GSN Holiday Marathons
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
From Buzzerblog, GSN has some pretty good stuff lined up this year!

http://www.buzzerblog.com/?p=1413

Here are the highlights:
Christmas Eve will feature a 4 hour PYL marathon with Christmas themed episodes, 7 hour marathon of The Chase, and to end the night GSN will air What's My Line at 25!  The rest are featured in the article above.
TV's Big Dealer

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: GSN Holiday Marathons
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
This sounds all well and good, but will the PYL episodes GSN will air for their marathon be from 1985?

That is all I want to know.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
This sounds all well and good, but will the PYL episodes GSN will air for their marathon be from 1985?

Maybe.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
Curious question...if the episodes are from 1983 and '84, what happens next?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
He riots.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
He riots.

Nope. If GSN shows 83/84, I will accept it, and carry on with my life.

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »

We'll likely find out next week when the detailed schedule is out, but I don't see why not. As happy as I'll be to see those episodes, I'll just be glad when we don't have to hear about them anymore.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
Me too.

In all seriousness, this will be the last time I care about what Christmas episodes of what game shows GSN is airing, because there isn't anymore for GSN to acquire from the 70's and 80's, my favorite decades for game shows, with Christmas-themed episodes. I had been doing this since 2006, but not anymore.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
...What's My Line? at 25?! Didn't see that coming.

We'll likely find out next week when the detailed schedule is out, but I don't see why not.
Especially since GSN had initially slotted four of them (585-588) for the week of November 10, per the advance schedules. I'm guessing at least those will be in the marathon, but as you said we'll find out in a week or so.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
In all seriousness, this will be the last time I care about what Christmas episodes of what game shows GSN is airing,
$5 on December 23.
because there isn't anymore for GSN to acquire from the 70's and 80's, my favorite decades for game shows, with Christmas-themed episodes. I had been doing this since 2006, but not anymore.
I'm sure there's plenty of shows GSN doesn't currently have the rights to that they could air if they desired.  Some of them likely have Christmas-themed episodes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
Me too.

In all seriousness, this will be the last time I care about what Christmas episodes of what game shows GSN is airing, because there isn't anymore for GSN to acquire from the 70's and 80's, my favorite decades for game shows, with Christmas-themed episodes. I had been doing this since 2006, but not anymore.

Until this time next year when you do the exact same thing.

Or at any point in the next year when GSN does something you don't like.

Rep precedes you, Zach, and it ain't going away.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »
Another thing I noticed was the mention of "TV's Funniest Game Show Moments" during the clip show marathon on Christmas Day. Two specials have gone by that name -- the 1984 one hosted by William Shatner (and produced by Mark Goodson) and a 2000 one narrated by Richard Dawson.

The Shatner one actually seems like a good possibility given they're running another Goodson-produced special the night before.  Has GSN ever run the other one?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jdhernandez

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
In all seriousness, this will be the last time I care about what Christmas episodes of what game shows GSN is airing, because there isn't anymore for GSN to acquire from the 70's and 80's, my favorite decades for game shows, with Christmas-themed episodes.
Oh, really? We said that very same thing years ago when we thought it was unfathomable that GSN would ever acquire any of the Reg Grundy shows. What if, say, GSN suddenly acquires the rights to Scrabble or something like that? There were plenty of "Christmas-themed" episodes of that series. For you to say that there is nothing left for GSN to acquire is preposterous because as the old saying went, "you never know with GSN." I'll just wait for this same argument next year.

I had been doing this since 2006, but not anymore.

Excuse me?!? You had been doing what, exactly? If you're saying what I think you're saying, I've been doing that far longer than you have, but I never griped at GSN for not airing certain shows. In fact, I was exceedingly happy that GSN even acquired Press Your Luck... thirteen years ago now. Fourteen years ago, I never thought in my wildest dreams that GSN would ever acquire a show like that. I never got in a hissy fit that certain episodes got skipped. I was just happy with what was shown, and that was it!

I'm sorry, but if you're referring to the guide, I had been doing this for well over a decade now, and it's been a real labor of love. There isn't ANY obligation to completely finish the guide because I know that'll never happen. You're making this sound like you're entitled to see every episode of PYL there ever was. Please, calm down and just enjoy them, okay?
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »
GSN *COULD* get Scrabble. But then there's the problem with Hasbro, which is tough as nails on its intellectual property.

I do not think it will ever be resolved.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
Apples and oranges, if I'm not mistaken. Hasbro owns the game Scrabble. The TV show is owned by Fremantle, last I checked, and I don't think Hasbro could say anything if GSN decided to air it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!