Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sony email leaks, or how the NFL picked the wrong producer to mess with  (Read 16127 times)

BrandonFG

The Sony leaked emails have been a pretty big story this week, and now it looks like Sony's two games are involved. This is related to how the NFL (mis)handled the preemptions of Wheel and Jeopardy! for NFL coverage. The article also explains how this might impact the two shows' ratings situations.

http://deadspin.com/how-cbs-and-the-nfl-teamed-up-to-screw-wheel-of-fortune-1670315974
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Sony email leaks, or how the NFL picked the wrong producer to mess with
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
I feel a little dirty reading somebody else's e-mails when they weren't for public consumption, but I did, and holy cow.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Yeah...I stayed away from the emails, especially the more controversial ones, but the back story itself here is pretty fascinating.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
How is the NFL supposed to know what the OTA affiliates are going to do with preempted programming?  Or is this another example of people deciding to dump on the easy-to-hate Roger Goodell because they can get away with it?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
Or is this another example of people deciding to dump on the easy-to-hate Roger Goodell because they can get away with it?

Not sure where I stand on that, though I did find this comment following the Buzzerblog story amusing:

Looking forward to Goodell appearing on Celebrity Jeopardy and being unable to phrase his responses in the form of a question and changing his Final Jeopardy wager after the fact.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »
Does this seem overblown to anybody else?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Does this seem overblown to anybody else?

No, not really.  Not if you read the e-mail chain.

1) The NFL mislead (because I'm too classy to say "lied to") Harry Friedman about the severity of how his two properties would be affected by CBS channels carrying the NFL on Thursday night.

2) At the same time it also wanted Jeopardy to write a category promoting the NFL Thursday games.  Said category involved Jeopardy doing all of the work, paying for photos because the NFL didn't bother to provide any, and having the clear the material with the NFL.  The NFL called it "cross-promotion" but never reciprocated.

3) This all happened in Wheel and Jeopardy's renewal year, which has a lot to do with how much Sony can charge for its shows, and for that matter whether stations are even willing to carry them.

4) The result of this will be many millions of dollars of lost revenue to Sony.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
2) At the same time it also wanted Jeopardy to write a category promoting the NFL Thursday games.  Said category involved Jeopardy doing all of the work, paying for photos because the NFL didn't bother to provide any, and having the clear the material with the NFL.  The NFL called it "cross-promotion" but never reciprocated.
Where I'm curious is to how NFL would reciprocate back. Ads on NFL network or during NFL on CBS?

From what I've read, Jeopardy is very willing to do synergistic things when it comes to categories for New York Times, National Geography Week or several other cross-promotional opportunities and NFL has burned a bridge here.

I think what might be the most galling thing for Sony is the fact that the TNF games have been awful; Plan 9 from Outer Space levels of bad.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
This is related to how the NFL (mis)handled the preemptions of Wheel and Jeopardy! for NFL coverage.

I dunno if I'd call it "mishandling." They got what they wanted and farked over Sony just fine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
What the NFL fails to realize, is that with their misleading (to borrow Gene's phrase), that's a bunch of Sports Jeopardy material that might not happen should it get a second season. SJ, from what I've seen, uses quite a few pro football clues, as it should.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
This is related to how the NFL (mis)handled the preemptions of Wheel and Jeopardy! for NFL coverage.

I dunno if I'd call it "mishandling." They got what they wanted and farked over Sony just fine.
Good point.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 12:51:15 AM »
How is the NFL supposed to know what the OTA affiliates are going to do with preempted programming?  Or is this another example of people deciding to dump on the easy-to-hate Roger Goodell because they can get away with it?
Should that matter? Do affiliates air Wheel/J! early if it is going to be preempted? Some stations might not want to preempt their news or other syndicated programming to shoehorn Wheel/J! in early. The latest a preempted episode would air would be sometime after midnight after the post-game show, the news, and late night programming, and CBS had to know that.

Reading the e-mails, it seems as if Harry was way too trusting of CBS and the NFL. If I were told that CBS picked up a four hour block of football to air in primetime, I'd immediately know what was up instead of being somehow blindsided by it.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
From what I've read, Jeopardy is very willing to do synergistic things when it comes to categories for New York Times, National Geography Week or several other cross-promotional opportunities and NFL has burned a bridge here.
I for one have always found the synergy categories mildly off-putting, although I can't quite put my finger on why.  Probably the same reason some of the in-game sports advertising (eg. The team is in the [insert sponsor name here] red zone) is off-putting.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dale_grass

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
I for one have always found the synergy categories mildly off-putting, although I can't quite put my finger on why.  Probably the same reason some of the in-game sports advertising (eg. The team is in the [insert sponsor name here] red zone) is off-putting.

"Say what, now?"

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
The borderline product placement aspect? Although the CFB (Sponsor) Red Zone is prolly a bit worse. When my employer's football team started up a few years back, they had sponsors for the red zone and first down whenever they played on offense. The local paper had a field day with it.

I'm more bothered by everything from the starting lineup to the halftime show to the highlight reel having a sponsor.

/Don't even get me started on the bowl games