Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trivia Trap & Love Connection  (Read 7401 times)

gamed121683

Trivia Trap & Love Connection
« on: January 11, 2004, 06:27:08 PM »
I can recall this time last year lurking at a place called, um, ATGS (you all remember that place now, do you?) and the big hoopla was about "What the heck were GSN thinking when they added LC & Trivia Trap to the schedule?" My guess was becuase that these shows were really disliked. I mean, I'll be honest with you I liked both shows. "Trap" becuase I'm a big trivia fan (so maybe I'm a bit biased but the format I must admit was a bit flawed [unheard of from a Goodson show]). "Love Connection", as corny as it is, I also liked. Also, I don't care what anyone says IT IS A GAME SHOW!

I do not know why as a whole, these shows are right up there with (for the sake of arugment) "The Chamber" as one of the worst games to every be on TV.

Guesses, group?

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 09:50:44 PM »
Perhaps because we expected something better from Mark Goodson in the way of a trivia game. The problem most of us had with the show was obvious in episode one - when you got the questions and the four possible answers, if you knew the answer immediately - or even gave it a good guess - by the time all the contestants gave us their overlong reasons for choosing the answers and finally revealing them, you wanted to scream. It d-r-a-g-g-e-d. After Trivial Pursuit hit big, all the networks probably screamed "give us a show about trivia!" - and what quiz show isn't about trivia? - and this seemed to be a show slapped together too fast. The quiz games where the answers are dealt with within moments of asking the questions tend to be the most satisfying. A problem/puzzle game (What's My Line?, Wheel Of Fortune, Concentration) where the home viewer has the potential to figure out the answer ahead of the contestants can still be fun if there's entertainment value in watching the contestants figure it out. But don't make us wait three minutes or more waiting for the answer to one question.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 10:05:37 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 07:50 PM\'] Perhaps because we expected something better from Mark Goodson in the way of a trivia game. The problem most of us had with the show was obvious in episode one - when you got the questions and the four possible answers, if you knew the answer immediately - or even gave it a good guess - by the time all the contestants gave us their overlong reasons for choosing the answers and finally revealing them, you wanted to scream. It d-r-a-g-g-e-d. After Trivial Pursuit hit big, all the networks probably screamed "give us a show about trivia!" - and what quiz show isn't about trivia? - and this seemed to be a show slapped together too fast. The quiz games where the answers are dealt with within moments of asking the questions tend to be the most satisfying. A problem/puzzle game (What's My Line?, Wheel Of Fortune, Concentration) where the home viewer has the potential to figure out the answer ahead of the contestants can still be fun if there's entertainment value in watching the contestants figure it out. But don't make us wait three minutes or more waiting for the answer to one question. [/quote]
 Gee, then I guess "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" was a crappy show too, eh?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 10:51:58 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 04:27 PM\'] My guess was becuase that these shows were really disliked.

[/quote]
 They added them to the schedule because they were really disliked. Yeah. Thats a BRILLIANT assessment.
Also, I don't care what anyone says IT IS A GAME SHOW!
You're entitled to that opinion. It's horribly wrong, but you're entitled to it.
I do not know why as a whole, these shows are right up there with (for the sake of arugment) "The Chamber" as one of the worst games to every be on TV.
Guesses, group?
I don't think TT is as disliked as you think it was, other than the fact that it revealed that straight Q/A isn't exactly Bob Eubanks' forte. As for LC, well, it's a crappy, insipid dating show, that's my guess.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 11:13:49 PM »
Crappy would be a rather harsh word as far as Millionaire goes - if every question on that show had a two to three-minute wait for an answer when you knew it as soon as it was asked, would you enjoy it as much? IIRC, there have been a couple of times extremely long contestant final answer times were edited down. Correct me if I'm in error.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 11:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 11:13 PM\'] IIRC, there have been a couple of times extremely long contestant final answer times were edited down. Correct me if I'm in error. [/quote]
 That has indeed been the case, one notable time is during season one of the syndie run where we saw "Much Later" and "Much Much Later" graphics on the screen.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 11:43:40 PM »
Thanks, Zach - and in the original ABC run, I thought the fella who had to pick the insect that led to the term "computer bug" for a million waited a very long time to make his choice - that one was edited, too, IIRC. It was good of the producers to be kind to the audience. Let's face it - any time any of us makes a general blanket statement, there will always be one or two successful exceptions to the rule...but usually the rule stands. There was no compelling million-dollar reason for a viewer to have to wait for an answer on Trivia Trap. Joker's Wild with a :60 response time limit? Yipe!! :-)

DJDustman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 11:48:53 PM »
Love Connection is a pretty neat thing added to GSN.  I love watching that show and seeing the Dates go good or bad and the insults to each other.

My question is, if its such a BAD show, why has it been on for almost 11 years?

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 12:07:45 AM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 06:27 PM\'] "Love Connection", as corny as it is, I also liked. Also, I don't care what anyone says IT IS A GAME SHOW!

[/quote]
 And by that reasoning, Bonanza was a soap opera because of the Adam-Laura-Will triangle--no matter what anyone says.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 01:45:03 AM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 09:48 PM\'] Love Connection is a pretty neat thing added to GSN.  I love watching that show and seeing the Dates go good or bad and the insults to each other.

My question is, if its such a BAD show, why has it been on for almost 11 years? [/quote]
 That's a classic. A show running a long time means it was successful, but it sure as HELL doesn't mean it was good.

Three's Company.

Of course, it's a subjective term. You might think it's good, and that might not surprise me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Starkman

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 08:11:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 01:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 09:48 PM\'] Love Connection is a pretty neat thing added to GSN.  I love watching that show and seeing the Dates go good or bad and the insults to each other.

My question is, if its such a BAD show, why has it been on for almost 11 years? [/quote]
That's a classic. A show running a long time means it was successful, but it sure as HELL doesn't mean it was good.

Three's Company.

Of course, it's a subjective term. You might think it's good, and that might not surprise me. [/quote]
 Ob Gameshows: Ill add STYD to that list, Commercial successes sometimes drag longer than most people like but they pull enough ratings and sponsors to keep going like the Engerizer Bunny. In STYD's case its on its 4th (and best) reincarnation (at least its watchable).

That being said, LC does have a very good entertainment value, just don't call it a game show.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 09:23:39 AM »
IIRC, there have been a couple of times extremely long contestant final answer times were edited down. Correct me if I'm in error.

There was also the ABC version from July 30, 2000, where a lady contestant blows the $500,000 question and falls back to $32,000.  Her three questions on that show took over 20 minutes to answer, but there was a report that she took over 50 minutes just on one of those questions, so a lot was edited out.

I'd have hated to be in the audience during that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 02:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:23 AM\']
IIRC, there have been a couple of times extremely long contestant final answer times were edited down. Correct me if I'm in error.

There was also the ABC version from July 30, 2000, where a lady contestant blows the $500,000 question and falls back to $32,000.  Her three questions on that show took over 20 minutes to answer, but there was a report that she took over 50 minutes just on one of those questions, so a lot was edited out.

I'd have hated to be in the audience during that. [/quote]
Kati Knudsen was her name.

Ooh, the heartbreak. She had it right the first time, then changed it at the last possible moment. I would've just taken the money.

In addition, to respond to the "Much Later," and "Much Much Later" post, that player was Minda Lopez, and she went back down to $1,000 after missing that $8,000 question.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 02:26:47 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

GSWitch

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 02:51:21 PM »
Even though KTRK had Donahue over Trivia Trap, I saw the reruns on GSN!

There were some sound effects that would later be used for future shows.

RISING OF THE BOARD:  Match Game's wheel on ABC.

REVEALING CATEGORYS:  Family Feud's Fast Money starting with Ray Combs.

CORRECT WRONG ANSWER:  Classic Concentration door opening & Now You See It's board (Chuck Henry)

INCORRECT ANSWER:  PATHFINDER!

CORRECT BONUS ANSWER & SWEEP ON MAIN GAME ROUND:  Family Feud end theme.  THAT short cue should be use to intro Punch-A-Bunch keeping the long cue for my favorite, GRAND GAME!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 02:53:20 PM »
At least Chuck wore a jacket and tie on LC.  I'm not fond of hosts wearing casual clothes on game shows, not to mention the awful duds the contestants had to wear on TT.  "Trap" was not well thought out.  I stopped watching after the first few weeks.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.