Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fleming J! answer....err, question.  (Read 3646 times)

Jimmy Owen

Fleming J! answer....err, question.
« on: January 09, 2004, 12:35:40 PM »
Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 01:00:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 12:35 PM\'] Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."? [/quote]
 In the one episode that I have taped, he did.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 01:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:35 PM\'] Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."? [/quote]
 Enough to make it a redundant catch phrase, though not 100% of the time.  And he almost always said SOMETHING before the clue was revealed, unlike today's version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 01:12:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:35 PM\'] Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."? [/quote]
Enough to make it a redundant catch phrase, though not 100% of the time.  And he almost always said SOMETHING before the clue was revealed, unlike today's version. [/quote]
 Did he do impersonations as frequently as Alex does his?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 01:27:05 PM »
Art usually said something, but remember, the answers were usually shorter on Art's board than on Alex's.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:35 PM\'] Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."? [/quote]
Enough to make it a redundant catch phrase, though not 100% of the time.  And he almost always said SOMETHING before the clue was revealed, unlike today's version. [/quote]
Did he do impersonations as frequently as Alex does his?[/quote]
No impersonations--but the occasional jokes about Don Pardo's liquor capacity (especially during Potent Potables) and producer Bob Rubin's cheapness.  Of course, Art was too nice a guy for the wisecracks to really sting.  On the other hand, when Trebek's wise-cracking to the crowd during breaks in taping, you aren't really sure...

byrd62

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 05:43:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 12:35 PM\'] Did Art preface answer reveals with "The answer is....."? [/quote]
In the one episode that I have taped, he did.[/quote]
In the old cardboard days of J!, Art's saying, "The answer is..." was basically a cue for the stagehands to lift the dollar-value [or other] card to reveal the answer.

Legend has it that on one of those episodes, after Art would say, "The answer is..", a blank card was revealed instead, prompting Art to make a crack about the stagehands having "a keg of beer and a good time."

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 05:47:18 PM »
So, once the correct question was said, did they cover up that clue with a blank card to show that that particular clue was used up?

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 06:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 05:47 PM\'] So, once the correct question was said, did they cover up that clue with a blank card to show that that particular clue was used up? [/quote]
 Yes, which was no doubt a help to both the contestants and the stagehands.

And Matt's right -- "The answer is..." was far more of a catch phrase on the original version, and obviously used to cue the stagehands (who likely had to work darn fast).

Another original Jeopardy! fact:  contestants followed their scores by looking at an off-camera chalk board.  Bob Rubin wouldn't let them see a monitor showing what was on camera; he felt it would distract them from the game.

(I read this somewhere when the original show was still airing and it stuck.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 07:06:26 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 07:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 05:47 PM\'] So, once the correct question was said, did they cover up that clue with a blank card to show that that particular clue was used up? [/quote]
Yes, which was no doubt a help to both the contestants and the stagehands. [/quote]
 I believe it would be more accurate to say that they simply removed the clue card, exposing the blank background underneath.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 09:28:56 AM »
I wonder how many times they exposed the wrong card on the original version?  I know it happened once on "Jeopardy" 1978's premiere, and I vaguely remember it happening a few times on the original, but since so few episodes are around it didn't happen on any of those ones.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!