Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Acquaintances on game shows  (Read 8679 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Acquaintances on game shows
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
This afternoon, I was talking with my barber about my upcoming trip to the west coast, which brought up the topic of current games he enjoys.  He then asks me "Have I ever told you I was on a game show?  No?"  He then got into when he and his wife were on Matches and Mates in 1967, where they won a sewing machine.  He has never seen his episode in full, only pieces; he saw only some of the original airing in February 1968, and bits and pieces when it was rerun on 4th of July of the same year, after he received about half a dozen phone calls from friends saying he was on TV.

Does anybody have similar experiences with friends and acquaintances who you didn't know were on a game show?

The Pyramids

Re: Acquaintances on game shows
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
Friends of my parents were on 'Las Vegas Gambit'. I have copies of there episodes. For years I did not know that I had an uncle who was on Flemming 'Jeopardy!' I once saw a real estate agent who wrote columns in my condominium newsletter appear on Povich '21'.

The Pyramids

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
'There' should have been 'their'. I regret the error.

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
^ are their episodes among the ones floating around on YT?

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
I believe so, yes.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »
A former roommate was on Price in the 80s.  She played Bargain Bar and won.  I didn't know about it until she saw me browsing this board one evening.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »
Friend of mine from college was on "Feud" during Louie Anderson's second season.

According to her, the question was "Name something you have when you are sick..." and the father (a pastor) said alcohol.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sotcfan2004

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
A friend of mine was on TPIR in 1995 and won the showcase, including a Camaro and a trip to Jamaica.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
But did all y'all have to ask about it, or where you told before/during the fact?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
Buddy and coworker of mine was on Feud during Steve's years (it was pre-Atlanta, but I can't remember when). Family didn't win, but apparently made such an impression on Steve that when he was doing a book signing in my home town he and his aunt went to see if they'd recognize 'em. He did, instantly, and they did some reminiscing.

(Two other people from my hometown, whom I don't know, were on game shows last season. One went on Wheel and won, the other went on Jeopardy and finished third.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:46:01 AM »
I'd known a couple in my parish--Sandy and her husband Peter--for several years before I found out about the wife's game experience.  On a late-summer morning between masses she was staffing the back-to-school-clothes drive table, and doing the Sunday Times crossword.  We got to talking about word games, and from there to game shows.  That's when I found out that Sandy Mumbach had won sixteen front-games before making it to the top of The $20,000 Pyramid. Needless, perhaps, to say, she is my favorite partner on game night.
czambo@mac.com

jimlangefan

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
I've had two.  My former co-worker was on Family Feud with Richard Karn and were two or three day winners.  Their episodes have been reran on GSN.  We got on that topic when we were talking about my TPIR experience.  And while playing pub trivia a few years ago, our team got joined by a gentleman and his date.  The date didn't end too well and she left early, but he stayed and finished out trivia with us.  We got on the topic of game shows and he tells the story of how he was a retired, undefeated champion on Press Your Luck in 1985 or 1986.   
TV's Big Dealer

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
And while playing pub trivia a few years ago, our team got joined by a gentleman and his date.  The date didn't end too well and she left early, but he stayed and finished out trivia with us.  We got on the topic of game shows and he tells the story of how he was a retired, undefeated champion on Press Your Luck in 1985 or 1986.

Sounds like Michael, whom GSN just showed on PYL, on 2/2.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
But did all y'all have to ask about it, or where you told before/during the fact?
It's been more than 13 years since she told me the story, but I'm thinking "Feud" was on TV and it led to her describing the experience. Her family later confirmed the story over dinner.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:44:05 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »
And while playing pub trivia a few years ago, our team got joined by a gentleman and his date.  The date didn't end too well and she left early, but he stayed and finished out trivia with us.  We got on the topic of game shows and he tells the story of how he was a retired, undefeated champion on Press Your Luck in 1985 or 1986.

Sounds like Michael, whom GSN just showed on PYL, on 2/2.

Yes, because that's so obvious after hearing the story about the guy's date in a bar going badly. ::)