Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....  (Read 34169 times)

Brandon Brooks

Hollywood Squares apparently is canceled.....
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 04:28:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:32 PM\'] And this all stems from its rule changes, I assume....

I knew that going to a "Best 2-out-of-3" idea was gonna hurt the show's ratings! [/quote]
 What the hell?

I really wish you would *think* before you type.

Brandon Brooks

calliaume

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 05:02:59 PM »
Geez, six years is a long run -- longest syndie run since Family Feud '88-'95.  That's pretty good.

Squares has had four different runs, and three have been pretty successful.  I'm sure it'll be back again sometime.

In the interim, let's keep in mind the folks on the show who will be job hunting (I'm not referring to Bergeron or Henry Winkler -- the folks behind the camera who were drawing a steady paycheck for their work).

Robair

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 07:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:50 PM\'] So would you say that Whoopi helped or hurt the show? [/quote]
Helped. Absolutely.

Before Whoopi left the show they were actually able to wrangle some pretty impressive people into those boxes. Could you imagine Jane Fonda doing "Squares" at any other time in her career? (Those shows are pulling weekend duty now.)

However, "Squares" post-Whoopi has gone back to the regrettable same-old-stars-every-week format. Next week, Dom Deluise, Phyllis Diller and Charo will be on the show as if it were actually 1971, Burbank, and Peter Marshall all over again. And the biggest star that week? Toss up between Melissa Peterman of "Reba" and Rondell Sheridan of "That's So Raven".

So what really killed the show? They simply can't get compelling stars anymore. If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 07:11:49 PM by Robair »
--Robair

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2004, 10:46:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:10 PM\'] So what really killed the show? They simply can't get compelling stars anymore. If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2? [/quote]
 Well....yeah....but....

I never really watched the Marshall Squares for the compelling stars.  What you look for (or hope for) is the right combination that makes for entertaining television.  Whoopi definitely helped sell the show originally, but I happen to think the show was creatively at its best the last couple of years with B-listers who cared rather than A-listers who didn't.

If the rumors are true, I don't see Whoopi leaving two years ago as the reason for the show being cancelled today.  It's merely a casualty of its own inability -- Whoopi or no -- to break out of the 2-3 rating range.  Six years is a heck of a run.  We should be praising it, not burying it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 01:08:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:46 PM\'] Six years is a heck of a run.  We should be praising it, not burying it.

[/quote]
 I'm in total agreement there. By today's television standards, six years is an amazing run for a syndiacted game show (that isn't named Jeopardy or Wheel, for a change).

I am sorry to see the show go. It was a lot of fun seeing how Henry Winkler took the show and made it classic again. I also liked the "Marshall Plan" that was implemented into this show's last season as well as the Davidson-style bonus round put in at the beginning of his reign as Exec. Producer. I honestly thought that the terribly flawed "double or nothing" bonus round would mark the beginning of the end of this current version of Squares. I am glad that I was wrong.

Throwing money issues aside, it is sad to see how a show of this quality gets canned and bottom of the barrel television (dating shows that I will not mention here) that is not even registering a 1.0 are still being shown ad nauseum. And what is Squares being replaced with? Yet ANOTHER show involving celebrity worship and fodder that the normal human being would respond to by saying "Who cares?" I guess "overkill" is not an operative word in Hollywood.

Here's to Tom Bergeron finding even better success in the future. He really has gained status as a game show elite, in my opinion.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Thad Dixon

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 01:33:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:10 PM\'] So what really killed the show? They simply can't get compelling stars anymore. If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2? [/quote]
[/quote]
Because seeing your favorite stars on a GAME show like H2 is BETTER AND MORE FUN AND MORE EXCITING than seeing them on ET or Extra or any OTHER entertainment news program!  I don't want to hear any of my favorites talk about any upcoming projects or whatever on those shows when on H2, I could be seeing them win LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LOOT FOR THE CONTESTANTS!!!

We should be praising it, not burying it.

Actually, what we really should do is start a petition to keep the show on FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER!!!   EVEN if H2 must now be at least 300 times more expensive to produce than this ET spinoff that the CBS O&O's want to replace it with in the fall, King World is making the BIGGEST mistake that has ever been made by ANYONE in television by dropping it!!!

Casey Buck

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 01:45:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:33 PM\']Because seeing your favorite stars on a GAME show like H2 is BETTER AND MORE FUN AND MORE EXCITING than seeing them on ET or Extra or any OTHER entertainment news program!  I don't want to hear any of my favorites talk about any upcoming projects or whatever on those shows when on H2, I could be seeing them win LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LOOT FOR THE CONTESTANTS!!![/quote]

*sigh*

Your unnecessary CAPITALIZATION  is REALLY hard to READ!!!!!!![/i][/b]

Actually, what we really should do is start a petition to keep the show on FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER!!!

Yer high.

A petition is not going to make any difference

EVEN if H2 must now be at least 300 times more expensive to produce than this ET spinoff that the CBS O&O's want to replace it with in the fall, King World is making the BIGGEST mistake that has ever been made by ANYONE in television by dropping it!!!

You want to pay for the production costs yourself?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:48:43 AM by Casey Buck »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2004, 02:06:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 01:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:10 PM\'] So what really killed the show? They simply can't get compelling stars anymore. If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2? [/quote]
[/quote]
Because seeing your favorite stars on a GAME show like H2 is BETTER AND MORE FUN AND MORE EXCITING than seeing them on ET or Extra or any OTHER entertainment news program!  I don't want to hear any of my favorites talk about any upcoming projects or whatever on those shows when on H2, I could be seeing them win LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LOOT FOR THE CONTESTANTS!!!

Actually, what we really should do is start a petition to keep the show on FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER!!!   EVEN if H2 must now be at least 300 times more expensive to produce than this ET spinoff that the CBS O&O's want to replace it with in the fall, King World is making the BIGGEST mistake that has ever been made by ANYONE in television by dropping it!!! [/quote]
There's a reason we called you what we did back in the day.  As Casey stated, your emphasis is unnecessary, and only refutes any point you may have made.

Obviously, America doesn't agree with your sentiments.  Petitions never work in these cases--and the "forever" garbage you typed will detract any willing signers you may have had.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 02:09:47 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 02:14:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:10 PM\'] So what really killed the show? They simply can't get compelling stars anymore. If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2? [/quote]
[/quote]

Actually, what we really should do is start a petition to keep the show on FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER!!!   EVEN if H2 must now be at least 300 times more expensive to produce than this ET spinoff that the CBS O&O's want to replace it with in the fall, King World is making the BIGGEST mistake that has ever been made by ANYONE in television by dropping it!!! [/quote]
 Now THAT is the Thad Dixon we all know and......um, know.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 06:47:31 AM »
If you can tune into "ET" or "Extra" and get your Jen Aniston fix, why the hell should you watch H2?

Just to see some B-list stars trying to act like A-listers, that's all. Oh, and to hear those bluff answers as well. Hey, wasn't that always the case with Pyramid and Match Game?

And on an off-topic note: Since Robair brought up ET and Extra, I did an online commentary a while ago about how far those two -- and the very, VERY, VERY childish Access Hollywood, which I no longer watch anymore; thanks a whole bunch, Pat O'Brien! -- go for exclusives.

I know this is not the place to talk about these shows, but I wish we had an off-topic forum so I could continue with this.

At least the Bergeron H2 -- despite Shadoe Stevens being let go after Winkler took over -- was more fast-paced than Davidson's; the time-consuming multimedia questions and too much goofiness (thanks to Jm J. Bullock) on THAT version was the deathblow.

Jonathan Allen

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2004, 06:54:23 AM »
I know this is not the place to talk about these shows, but I wish we had an off-topic forum so I could continue with this.

I suggest you get yourself a blog. I, erm, SWARE!! we'll all subscribe.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 07:38:51 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Card Shark

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2004, 07:01:26 AM »
Well, here is the "official" story from our friend, Mr. Beverly. Take whatever you want from this.

Hollywood Squares Axed by King World
     The announcement was almost anti-climactic, expected since a decision from the CBS-owned stations to drop Hollywood Squares next fall in favor of The Insider, yet another magazine series from Viacom-owned Paramount Television.
     After a valiant two-year attempt to save the sinking game, King World announced the cancellation of Squares Monday at the Television Critics Association tour.
     Production will continue through the May sweeps on the six-year-old revival of the celebrity game which brought host Tom Bergeron an Emmy three years ago.
     When the series returned six years ago, Squares was considered pivotal for the future of new game shows in syndication after a decline in the genre. With a $6 million annual salary for Whoopi Goldberg as executive producer and Center Square, the show ponied up more money for bigger-name celebrities.
     The show reached a zenith with a 4.8 rating in the 1999-2000 season and a ranking as high as ninth in the syndicated Nielsens.
     However, by season three, Goldberg's personality----which had thoroughly dominated the show the first two years with reaction shots of Goldberg on virtually every other celebrity's question----began to wear thin. The show's content began to wane with fewer questions on each show. In addition, tampering with the show's end game created a bigger-money but unwieldy format.
     Goldberg was dumped at the end of the fourth season after a 48 percent drop in ratings between 2000 and 2002. Former actor Henry Winkler and Michael Levitt were brought in as executive producers and began to stem the ratings bleeding.
     Winkler and Levitt developed creative theme weeks, including two featuring game show legends. They restructured the bonus game and significantly increased the number of questions in each episode.
     The producers succeeded in stemming the ratings bleeding but the damage appeared to be done when in January 2003, the CBS-owned stations agreed to drop Squares from prime access in 2004. Viacom moved the game to its co-owned UPN affiliate in Los Angeles in the fall of 2002 in favor of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (which will likely require a new outlet in fall 2004).
     King World withheld an announcement on the show's fate until after the November sweeps. Season-to-date ratings show Squares at a 2.2, falling behind a slightly-resurgent Family Feud among existing game shows and tied with Pyramid.

Source: http://tvgameshows.net/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 07:02:08 AM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2004, 09:26:53 AM »
I wonder why Steve didn't mention that King World is also owned by CBS/Paramount/Viacom/Infinity/National Amusements, etc.  So in essence the replacement of a King World show for a Paramount on the CBS O&Os is all in the family.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2004, 10:01:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 08:01 AM\'] Well, here is the "official" story from our friend, Mr. Beverly. Take whatever you want from this. [/quote]
 You put "official" in quotes, so you may already realize this, but for those who don't, there's nothing any more "official" about Steve Beverly writing about Squares on his fan page than there is about us talking about it here.  Unless he's attending the Television Critics Association tour (and believe me, if he was he'd let us know about it!) he learned the same way we all did, by hearing about it secondhand through another source.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:01 AM\'][quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 08:01 AM\'] Well, here is the "official" story from our friend, Mr. Beverly. Take whatever you want from this. [/quote]
You put "official" in quotes, so you may already realize this, but for those who don't, there's nothing any more "official" about Steve Beverly writing about Squares on his fan page than there is about us talking about it here.  Unless he's attending the Television Critics Association tour (and believe me, if he was he'd let us know about it!) he learned the same way we all did, by hearing about it secondhand through another source.[/quote]
While we some of us have issues with Steve, has anybody actually e-mailed him or spoken to him face to face (maybe at a convention) to question his credibility?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS