Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eyes of a Generation - Great Pilot Pic!  (Read 4801 times)

Matt Ottinger

Eyes of a Generation - Great Pilot Pic!
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
I've seen this picture before, but I'm not sure whether it's ever made its way onto the internet.

The Eyes of a Generation Facebook page has a photo showing the set of a game show pilot called "Cash on the Line".  I don't think any of you will have a hard time recognizing what the show became.  As a bonus, you'll notice the tops of two heads at the bottom center of the photo.  Reportedly, they're Bill Cullen and Dick Clark!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eyes-Of-A-Generationcom/189359747768249?fref=photo
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

Re: Eyes of a Generation - Great Pilot Pic!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
So the idea went from a five, to a four, to finally a three level pyramid....Though based on the numbers on the pyramid I'd surmise they only had to get one box on each line in this format..

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
Love it.

Given there are so many older and more ridiculous pilots (hey there, Crossword!) that have survived, it's too bad this one hasn't shown up in the wild.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »
I remember reading about the 10-subject Winner's Circle, but never knew there were five additional boxes at one point. Another great rarity from Eyes of a Generation!

Thanks for sharing, Matt.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
It's possible the endgame was more like Pass the Buck. Given Bob's love for recycling formats and the relative impossibility of solving that many subjects within any game show time limit that would be sane, that's what I'd guess.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:06 PM »
Given there are so many older and more ridiculous pilots (hey there, Crossword!) that have survived, it's too bad this one hasn't shown up in the wild.

I can tell you there have been some VERY serious collectors looking for it.  You never know, but it doesn't appear to have survived.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kniwt

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
Interesting that the pyramid appears to reach the top payout all by itself without any extra bonus for completing the whole thing (as if that was ever going to happen).

I'm not sure, but the lower tier values appear to be $250, $500, $750, and $1,000. That adds up to $7,500, but the top box appears to be $2,000, which comes up a bit short of $10k.

(ETA: Although, looking at the set design, it might be that the big pyramid wasn't a bonus round at all, since there's no seating area; perhaps it was the board for main gameplay, and the money was accumulated one category at a time?)

weaklink75

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
Interesting that the pyramid appears to reach the top payout all by itself without any extra bonus for completing the whole thing (as if that was ever going to happen).

I'm not sure, but the lower tier values appear to be $250, $500, $750, and $1,000. That adds up to $7,500, but the top box appears to be $2,000, which comes up a bit short of $10k.

(ETA: Although, looking at the set design, it might be that the big pyramid wasn't a bonus round at all, since there's no seating area; perhaps it was the board for main gameplay, and the money was accumulated one category at a time?)

It looked to me that the top box read "Jackpot"- that's why I thought that if it was used for a bonus round, that they only needed one on each line..

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »

Remember from what little we know about the pilot, the main game of Pyramid was the bonus game of Cash on the Line, which really doesn't necessitate a board.  The assumption that the board was for the main game is a good one.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.