Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ALERT: Curtis Warren on $ale today  (Read 11301 times)

ivoryman1986

ALERT: Curtis Warren on $ale today
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
If you've not noticed, before the spiked hair, Curtis Warren begins his run on $ale today. If $ale did have a mid-season break, then I'd say that Curtis Warren's Lot win would be on January 7, 1986. Let's not spoil what happened on Curtis Warren's run until we get to the point where he won the Lot, shall we, each recap of Curtis Warren's episodes should be in the Show Summaries section of course.

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: ALERT: Curtis Warren on $ale today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »
If you've not noticed, before the spiked hair, Curtis Warren begins his run on $ale today. If $ale did have a mid-season break, then I'd say that Curtis Warren's Lot win would be on January 7, 1986.
I saw a 1986 copyright date in the credits today.  Thus, your date is off by at least a week.

Let's not spoil what happened on Curtis Warren's run
Because you didn't just do that.  ::)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:30 PM »
Let's not spoil what happened on Curtis Warren's run
That was a contradiction so quick that CNN wants pointers from you.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
Let's not spoil what happened on Curtis Warren's run until we get to the point where he won the Lot, shall we.

I can spoil it if I want, thank you.

Hey, folks, Curtis Warren wins the lot on Sale.  If you don't like that I spoiled it, then too bad!
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Allstar87

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
If it helps anyone's cataloging, Friday's episode (S-166) was the first one with a 1986 copyright date.

It's clear there was a mid-season break, but I have no idea when that was.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
Let's not spoil what happened on Curtis Warren's run until we get to the point where he won the Lot

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:45:17 PM »
If it helps anyone's cataloging, Friday's episode (S-166) was the first one with a 1986 copyright date.

Or when first-run resumed. Myself and another member here are trying to assemble an episode guide for the syndicated Sale, and I know the listings, as they stand now, go haywire somewhere between the end of Alan Cevednik's run and S-165 (the last show with a 1985 copyright date).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.
For our purposes what does it mean? If you've seen the shows you know what happened, but how far do we have to go out of our way to not discuss an episode of a game show that aired nearly thirty years ago?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
For our purposes what does it mean?

You can apply whatever definition to it that you like, but I think "requesting not to spoil, followed by HIGH-LEVEL SPOILAGE IN THE SAME DAMNED SENTENCE" would be a really good start.

Yes, Curtis Warren won the Lot, and most of us know that. But to wag a finger and say "hey, everyone, it would be really nice not to spoil this - but, oh, for the three of you who might not know, HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED" is certainly worthy of a round and prolonged mocking *at the minimum.*
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »
I do want to make clear that I am talking about people who are respectful and can use a modicum of sense, and that I am in no way defending the user who previously went by Iris Mason, or saying that what he did was ameliorated by the fact that the episode is from 1986. Because I'm not; it was crappy and an awful thing to do.

I am saying for those of us who do want to discuss the old stuff (whether we see it or not), can we do so without having to worry about stepping on toes or walking on eggshells,  or what? I don't know where in the run GSN is for any of their game shows, but I do know the names of the heavy hitters. For example, what of someone who says "Norma Brown will beat the Money Cards; set thy DVRs"? That's even older than Sale, and What Happened is not a secret to a large percentage of people in these parts, but maybe not everybody. Do we stifle discussion so the minority group can be surprised about what will happen, do they just suck spit and deal, or something in the middle?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »
I am saying for those of us who do want to discuss the old stuff (whether we see it or not), can we do so without having to worry about stepping on toes or walking on eggshells,  or what? I don't know where in the run GSN is for any of their game shows, but I do know the names of the heavy hitters. For example, what of someone who says "Norma Brown will beat the Money Cards; set thy DVRs"? That's even older than Sale, and What Happened is not a secret to a large percentage of people in these parts, but maybe not everybody. Do we stifle discussion so the minority group can be surprised about what will happen, do they just suck spit and deal, or something in the middle?

Fine and good, but the context in which you initially asked, by virtue of responding to Gene's post to do so, implied more that you were looking askance at people being annoyed with it-makes-so-much-sense-that-that's-Irismason.

If you aren't, great and mazel tov, but that's how it comes off.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »

Or when first-run resumed. Myself and another member here are trying to assemble an episode guide for the syndicated Sale, and I know the listings, as they stand now, go haywire somewhere between the end of Alan Cevednik's run and S-165 (the last show with a 1985 copyright date).

If I had to guess, I'd say two weeks (12/23-27/85, 12/30/85-1/3/86).  Thus, S-165 aired 12/20/85, S-166 aired 1/6/86.  No inside knowledge--just a shot in the dark.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
If you aren't, great and mazel tov, but that's how it comes off.
If that's how it came off then that was my bad. I have asked this before and while I don't think we need to have more rules about it, I do think that decorum and common sense on all parts should rule the day, and the cluefulness of the speaker shouldn't enter into it, because this is now the second time that someone has piped up with "the champion is going to be on for two weeks" twice in a row, and someone has said "Not cool."
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
because this is now the second time that someone has piped up with "the champion is going to be on for two weeks" twice in a row, and someone has said "Not cool."

I don't think people are saying "not cool," here, they are saying "wow, someone was a hypocritical contradictory dumbass inside of a single sentence, that's impressive even by irismason standards" which is not the same thing.

That said, dig: Yes, a lot of people remember all of this crap, and that's wonderful and I'm very happy that they have minutae to care about. But not everyone. Hell, I didn't even realize that was Curtis Warren until the end of the show today. So there's really no point in blasting "CURTIS WARREN'S LOT-WINNING RUN across the top of the page just for the sake of letting the world know that you know it happens.

Now, if you're asking about it or bringing up discussion in another context, that's something else again and yes, it's a 30-year old notable run that might incite some conversation. But saying it to say it isn't really necessary.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
I am amazed that with the level of incumbency that a show like Sale has, where someone who knows their general knowledge and can intuit how long Jim will talk after a buzzer-press can roll up victories like a fat blunt, that Curtis managed to knock off a champion who had won seven games on the trot.

Today's episode is probably on the medal podium of episodes between the daytime and nighttime versions. It was that good.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:49:06 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle