Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR article at The A.V. Club  (Read 2631 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
TPIR article at The A.V. Club
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »
John Teti, a writer at The A.V. Club who has proven that he understands our genre, has written a review of the March 23, 2015 episode of "The Price Is Right" that does an excellent job of both describing a typical episode and demonstrating why the show still resonates with viewers today.

It's well worth a read. Here's the link.

Fedya

Re: TPIR article at The A.V. Club
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
The article is worth a read, not the comments.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of kayaks and a pizza oven.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
The article is worth a read, not the comments.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of kayaks and a pizza oven.

We've had this conversation before, but why not again?

Everybody's going to have their own favorite prizes, and of course "winning" always feels better than "losing".  But in the world of TPIR, there are practical prizes that virtually everyone uses, like cars and appliances and home entertainment centers and to some degree even trips.  And then there are ones that fill a very specific niche.  Like kayaks.  And pizza ovens.  They're very interesting and colorful on the show, and you jump up and down when you win them, and maybe you lie to yourself and say finally, you're going to take up kayaking and making pizzas outside.  Hopefully not at the same time.

And then you discover that you could buy yourself a pretty decent kayak and a pretty decent pizza oven for the amount of money you'll pay in taxes for the items you "won".  And then you wonder, if you had that twelve to fifteen hundred in disposable cash lying around, whether a kayak and a pizza oven would be your first two purchases.  And a few years later, you try to sell them on Ebay for a fraction of what they're worth, being sure to mention that they were won on The Price is Right, as if that makes the slightest bit of difference to a potential buyer.

/Trust me on this.
//Two words: Lawn Swing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
/Trust me on this.
//Two words: Lawn Swing.

Would it have been easier to sell if Summer came with it?   :D

/would have used it as a sofa
//not an interior decorator