Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trivia Trap & Love Connection  (Read 7403 times)

Thad Dixon

Trivia Trap & Love Connection
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:51 PM\']Even though KTRK had Donahue over Trivia Trap, I saw the reruns on GSN!

There were some sound effects that would later be used for future shows.

RISING OF THE BOARD:  Match Game's wheel on ABC.[/quote]
Actually, I thought I read somewhere (it was either on here, on ezBoard, or on ATGS (All Trolls Getting Stupid) just before I finally left that group in Dec. '02) that this "Rising of the Board" SFX of which you speak, and the one for the lowering of the wheel on MG '90, were two totally different sound effects.

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 10:19:14 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 08:50 PM\'] After Trivial Pursuit hit big, all the networks probably screamed "give us a show about trivia!" - and what quiz show isn't about trivia? - and this seemed to be a show slapped together too fast. [/quote]
 How many different games can you set up where the main object is knowledge of trivia?  I thought having each player rule out one wrong answer was at least an interesting concept, although the rest of the game wasn't terribly imaginative.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 10:26:09 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:23 AM\']
IIRC, there have been a couple of times extremely long contestant final answer times were edited down. Correct me if I'm in error.

There was also the ABC version from July 30, 2000, where a lady contestant blows the $500,000 question and falls back to $32,000.  Her three questions on that show took over 20 minutes to answer, but there was a report that she took over 50 minutes just on one of those questions, so a lot was edited out.

I'd have hated to be in the audience during that. [/quote]
Kati Knudsen was her name.

Ooh, the heartbreak. She had it right the first time, then changed it at the last possible moment. I would've just taken the money. [/quote]
 IIRC, she debated in favor of three of the four answers before finally deciding.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2004, 11:00:27 PM »
I'll agree with you, Jay - Mark (like every producer) was in the unenviable position of trying to at least give a new spin to an often-done idea. I don't think any of the most popular trivia board games at the time forced players to eliminate wrong answers to find the right one, so Mark tried to come up with something that he could call his own contribuition. Can't blame him for trying. For what it's worth, I just finished typing the outline for probably the 5th revision of the word game I hope to bring to access cable this spring because no matter what style of play I come up with, I can think of half a dozen shows that have used something similar. I'm trying to balance a workable idea with a play style that hasn't been overdone, add a twist, yet is still in a form that will be recognized enough to make a viewer comfortable because of its similarity. Strange how that works, but it's television/music/movies in a nutshell. Networks want their own versions of a competitor's hit, so it has to be close enough without copying, yet if you go too far away from the hit idea, people may not take enough time to figure out what you're trying to do. It's all in the presentation.

and P.S. - Mark's TT still fit what I believe is the difference between most G-T games and those of others: Mark's games have often been geared for the thinking player/viewer, as compared to the knowing player/viewer. He seems to prefer puzzles to quizzes, and he tried to merge the two together - deduce what doesn't fit to find the right answer. This one just didn't mesh well - which is also probably why Jack Barry didn't last long at GT.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 11:03:55 PM by The Ol' Guy »

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 12:01:37 PM »
this "Rising of the Board" SFX of which you speak, and the one for the lowering of the wheel on MG '90, were two totally different sound effects.

They were indeed.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 12:06:48 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:00 PM\']Mark's TT still fit what I believe is the difference between most G-T games and those of others: Mark's games have often been geared for the thinking player/viewer, as compared to the knowing player/viewer. He seems to prefer puzzles to quizzes, and he tried to merge the two together - deduce what doesn't fit to find the right answer. This one just didn't mesh well - which is also probably why Jack Barry didn't last long at GT.[/quote]
Correct deduction--"Blockbusters" was the only out-and-out Q&A after "Winner Take All" that G-T ever did (I can argue that "Two for the Money" was less about straight Q&A and more about giving lists of things that have something in common).  And "Blockbusters" was different by making the Q&A part of a kind of puzzle (connect one side to the other), rather than the usual highest-score-wins.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 12:44:33 PM »
Mark had a couple of Q&A and novelty shows in his radio days - Pop The Question, Rate Your Mate, and the original Beat The Clock with Bill Cullen, but they weren't much different from many other radio quizzes. It's well that he explored other directions for his games, or he could have been just a small footnote in broadcast history.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2004, 06:38:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 01:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:00 PM\']Mark's TT still fit what I believe is the difference between most G-T games and those of others: Mark's games have often been geared for the thinking player/viewer, as compared to the knowing player/viewer. He seems to prefer puzzles to quizzes, and he tried to merge the two together - deduce what doesn't fit to find the right answer. This one just didn't mesh well - which is also probably why Jack Barry didn't last long at GT.[/quote]
Correct deduction--"Blockbusters" was the only out-and-out Q&A after "Winner Take All" that G-T ever did (I can argue that "Two for the Money" was less about straight Q&A and more about giving lists of things that have something in common).  And "Blockbusters" was different by making the Q&A part of a kind of puzzle (connect one side to the other), rather than the usual highest-score-wins. [/quote]
 In addition, there was the 1989 TKO pilot with Peter Tomarken, which was a Jeopardy type game with Blockbusters-esque questions.

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 07:41:50 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 06:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 01:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:00 PM\']Mark's TT still fit what I believe is the difference between most G-T games and those of others: Mark's games have often been geared for the thinking player/viewer, as compared to the knowing player/viewer. He seems to prefer puzzles to quizzes, and he tried to merge the two together - deduce what doesn't fit to find the right answer. This one just didn't mesh well - which is also probably why Jack Barry didn't last long at GT.[/quote]
Correct deduction--"Blockbusters" was the only out-and-out Q&A after "Winner Take All" that G-T ever did (I can argue that "Two for the Money" was less about straight Q&A and more about giving lists of things that have something in common).  And "Blockbusters" was different by making the Q&A part of a kind of puzzle (connect one side to the other), rather than the usual highest-score-wins. [/quote]
In addition, there was the 1989 TKO pilot with Peter Tomarken, which was a Jeopardy type game with Blockbusters-esque questions. [/quote]
 NYSI(particularly the 70s run) and the aforementioned Trivia Trap also somewhat qualify as Q&A games.