Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts recording their own programs  (Read 2526 times)

jimlangefan

Hosts recording their own programs
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:09:32 PM »
After hearing about Stu and Dennis James's sons talking about how Dennis recorded most of the shows he hosted or appeared on, (and also just remembered Wink uploading episodes of Gambit and Las Vegas Gambit) it led me to think about this.  Do we know of any other episodes of shows that exist simply because the host recorded their own show(s)?
TV's Big Dealer

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: Hosts recording their own programs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
British game show host Bob Monkhouse recorded quite a bit of material.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:18:35 AM by Vahan_Nisanian »

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:30 PM »
Jim MacKrell said he only had one episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes.  I don't know if it's one of the ones already in circulation.

As the older shows go, the videotapes, if available (they weren't cheap in the '60s and early '70s) took up a large amount of space.  As someone who's worked in book production for 20 years, I can honestly say I probably own less than 10 percent of the books I worked on - maybe five percent.  There's just not enough space for all of them.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »
15 years ago, I got an e-mail from an acquaintance of Peter Marshall, looking for Hollywood Squares episodes.  The acquaintance said Marshall had few, if any shows.  I sent Marshall via the friend 4 shows in exchange for a signed picture.  I mentioned this to Marshall when I met him at a Game Show Congress in 2006.  He recalled this quite well and the autographed 8x10 was real; the signature matched one I got from Marshall that day.

Bob Zager

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
I recall when NBC aired the 30th Anniversary College Bowl Special in 1984, Pat Sajak was reading a question about the VCR business, and mentioned he was recording the special on his home recorder.

The question dealt with two motion picture studios suing a VCR manufacturer in 1976, arguing that it violated copyright laws.  The question asked:

Which manufacturer was sued?   Answer:Sony (for its Betamax)

Then, what two studios filed the suit?  Answer:Walt Disney and Universal Studios