Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password pictures on Getty Images  (Read 9233 times)

thomas_meighan

Password pictures on Getty Images
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »
For anyone who's interested, Getty Images has an extensive library of photos from the ABC Password. There are a number of nice full-set shots (mostly 1971-74 but also some from the revised formats), as well as various candid moments for which we may never see the corresponding videotape.

During the first week, Allen was still wearing horn-rimmed glasses and the score displays were similar to what was used in the CBS series. By the time Henry Fonda played during the week of September 20, 1971, the score was displayed in eggcrate format (was Password the first G-T use of that display?). And there's the big 2000-episode sign from early 1972 (shooting out of a cannon), as well as the huge Emmy of 1974. The week of October 14, 1974 has a lot of coverage; Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence played against stars such as Rock Hudson.

All can be seen at www.gettyimages.com; be sure to select "editorial images" when searching for Password. The dates provided will not necessarily be taping or air dates.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:15:53 AM by thomas_meighan »

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: Password pictures on Getty Images
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:38:39 PM »
Those are some excellent photos. Thank you.

I noticed in some of those pictures with the 1971-1974 set, there was a small number by the teams. They must be from after they changed the format slightly to a best-of-three match.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
There's a really impressive set pic from the final season as well. The platform at center stage makes the set look deceptively large...

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/new-set-show-coverage-shoot-date-march-10-1975-l-r-nipsey-news-photo/463540034
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:45:25 AM »
The possibilities are endless as to what question made Betty and the gentleman write "Eat it!" :)

Eric Paddon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:14 AM »
There's a really impressive set pic from the final season as well. The platform at center stage makes the set look deceptively large...

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/new-set-show-coverage-shoot-date-march-10-1975-l-r-nipsey-news-photo/463540034

This is from the week after the episode with Betty and Vicki Lawrence that circulates.    Allen plugged Elaine and Nipsey as the guests for the following week (and the week after that was when Betty hosted the show with Allen playing).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
The possibilities are endless as to what question made Betty and the gentleman write "Eat it!" :)

And I know we can't expect the Getty editors to be totally familiar with everything they need to caption, but "panel of judges"? Really?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
There are a lot of color pictures I've found there for "Snap Judgment" and "Funny You Should Ask" as well from an early searching.

geno57

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 02:51:26 AM »
Getty has some interesting shots from the set of NBC's Call My Bluff, too ... That show was huge, for years, in Britain ... but didn't last long here in the States.  I'm afraid Merkins just ain't cerebral enough for a game that gets heavily into word etymology.

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
40 years later, we discover the cool framing thing in the opening...

...was a miniature.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/show-coverage-shoot-date-july-8-1974-production-shot-of-set-news-photo/463539206

Were the hexagons just spray painted? On TV, back in the day, it looked like the middles were lit.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
I've heard of newscasts in the 70s and 80s doing something similar...they would have a similar "crown" that would go just above the camera lens, and make it seem like the set was enclosed, for lack of a better word. Pretty cool effect.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
I've heard of newscasts in the 70s and 80s doing something similar...they would have a similar "crown" that would go just above the camera lens, and make it seem like the set was enclosed, for lack of a better word. Pretty cool effect.

Here's a good example of what you mention, around the 1:45 mark:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/news-archives/video-vault-1980-behind-the-scenes-of-the-news-and-morning-exchange#WEWS%20Studio%20A

And you thought they spent a wad of money on a fancy 20' x 15' dropped ceiling!!!

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
One question has finally been answered for me with those pics. I remember Allen Ludden helping a celeb or contestant with their chair, saying something about it "jumping the track"  and thanks to this picture, I finally see what he was talking about.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »

Here's a good example of what you mention, around the 1:45 mark:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/news-archives/video-vault-1980-behind-the-scenes-of-the-news-and-morning-exchange#WEWS%20Studio%20A
Really cool stuff, including the "menu board" graphics...thanks for sharing!

narzo

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:35:52 PM »
40 years later, we discover the cool framing thing in the opening...

...was a miniature.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/show-coverage-shoot-date-july-8-1974-production-shot-of-set-news-photo/463539206

Were the hexagons just spray painted? On TV, back in the day, it looked like the middles were lit.

The right-middle side of the story reveals the hexagons that would be seen covering the lights from the cameras perspective.  Look closely at the FF openings the first few weeks, a similar effect was used.