Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest streaks?  (Read 8091 times)

ezbidder

Longest streaks?
« on: January 14, 2004, 11:49:21 AM »
spoiler

A particular popular game show site what will remain unnamed :) "requests information from readers of continuing streaks on game shows longer than Walsh's [currently on Jep]"    (other than the well known Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough and Ruth Horwich [sic] on Concentration in the 60's)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 07:41:25 PM by ezbidder »

Matt Ottinger

Longest streaks?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 12:08:52 PM »
For now, Walsh isn't setting any all-time all-show records.  Tic Tac Dough had lots of long-running champions besides McKee.  Even The Joker's Wild probably had a couple.

Twenty-game Blockbusters winners were probably on for two weeks or more.  I remember Trebek's Double Dare making a big deal about a champ who stuck around for a long time.  Others will be forthcoming, I'm sure.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

HSquares2003

Longest streaks?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 12:11:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:08 PM\'] For now, Walsh isn't setting any all-time all-show records.  Tic Tac Dough had lots of long-running champions besides McKee.  Even The Joker's Wild probably had a couple.

Twenty-game Blockbusters winners were probably on for two weeks or more.  I remember Trebek's Double Dare making a big deal about a champ who stuck around for a long time.  Others will be forthcoming, I'm sure. [/quote]
 How many days(in real life, not game show time) did Thom Mckee's reign take? I mean, what did he do, call his boss and say "I'm kinda stuck on a game show in LA, I'll see ya in a few days?".  

I heard Jeopardy is taped 5 shows on a Tuesday and 5 on a Wednesday. With that being said, this current champ probably didn't have to alter his stay in LA, correct?

zachhoran

Longest streaks?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 12:15:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:08 PM\'] For now, Walsh isn't setting any all-time all-show records.  Tic Tac Dough had lots of long-running champions besides McKee.  Even The Joker's Wild probably had a couple.

Twenty-game Blockbusters winners were probably on for two weeks or more.  I remember Trebek's Double Dare making a big deal about a champ who stuck around for a long time.  Others will be forthcoming, I'm sure. [/quote]
 Twenty match Blockbusters winners were on for about four weeks. The Double Dare(Trebek) champ in question was the famous Alan Lusher, no?(He and Trebek met again on J! in the mid 80s)

I think Walsh's J! run is the longest since the Huffman family on Combs Feud in 1993(who won for eight shows in the Bullseye, champions stay till defeated era).

Jimmy Owen

Longest streaks?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »
Ben Stein?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Longest streaks?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:09:48 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 12:11 PM\']How many days(in real life, not game show time) did Thom Mckee's reign take? I mean, what did he do, call his boss and say "I'm kinda stuck on a game show in LA, I'll see ya in a few days?". [/quote]
I would normally say two months combined, since if McKee was on 43 days (?), that would be eight-and-a-half taping days--and whether "TTD" taped one day a week or two days every other week, it would still average out.  They also might've taped on the weekend.

You also have to remember that McKee's run was interrupted by the end of the 1979-80 season, so he had about three months with his run in limbo before he returned to TV City (they hadn't moved to KCOP yet).  Remember also that because you generally don't get your winnings until 30 days after the *final* air date in NY/LA, he hadn't received a penny of his winnings yet when "TTD" broke for summer vacation.

AZAndrewG

Longest streaks?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 04:16:32 PM »
Perhaps Walsh can stay on J! for longer than 332 minutes and 1 second.

(OOPS, I was thinking of Brian Boucher's shutout streak.  HOWWWWWWLLLLLL!)
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

GSWitch

Longest streaks?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ezbidder\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:49 AM\'] spoiler

A particular popular game show site what will remain unnamed :) "requests information from readers of continuing streaks on game shows longer than Walsh's [currently on Jep]"    (other than the well known Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough and Ruth Horwich on Concentration in the 60's) [/quote]
 That's Ruth Horowitz!

Don Howard

Longest streaks?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 04:32:42 PM »
Some Joker's Wild champs that come to mind are Mike Sherry (8 games), Peter Nagel (9 games), Hal Shear (11 games), Mark Gluckman (13 games) and Eileen Jason (15 games). Plus, however long Kit Salisbury stayed on Tic Tac Dough.

GS Warehouse

Longest streaks?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 04:49:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 04:32 PM\'] Some Joker's Wild champs that come to mind are Mike Sherry (8 games), Peter Nagel (9 games), Hal Shear (11 games), Mark Gluckman (13 games) and Eileen Jason (15 games). Plus, however long Kit Salisbury stayed on Tic Tac Dough. [/quote]
 IIRC, Salisbury won between 35 and 40 games.  Of course, his final total ($199,750) won much less than McKee's because of two things:
1) While Thom played to 44 ties (including one 7-tie match), Kit favored the categories that could earn him more than one box on a turn, meaning quicker wins.
2) Kit lost a lot of bonus games.

ObJoker'sWild: Anybody remember how many games Joe Dunn won before being forced to retire?

ezbidder

Longest streaks?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 05:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 04:32 PM\'] Plus, however long Kit Salisbury stayed on Tic Tac Dough. [/quote]
27 days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 05:02:37 PM by ezbidder »

TravisP

Longest streaks?
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 05:55:47 PM »
Now this will cause many eye-openers:

Possibly the only British show which had "Long Streaks" was 100% on Channel 5 (Am I right its the same format used in the US in 1998 with Casey "Shaggy" Kasem" hosting). As even though the payouts wasn't much £100 per show there wasn't a limit of the number of shows to be won. In the early days of the show there was a contestant called David Webb who managed to win nearly 35 Shows and since it was weekdaily it last nearly 7 weeks and throughout the years many contestants repeated that feat of 30+ plus consectutive wins and returned for a champions special.

However the biggest winner was a contestant called Ian Lygo who won a total of SEVENTY-FIVE shows (Lasting 15 Weeks or in other terms nearly 4 months) and had to leave the show as an undefeated champion as the producers was worried that his dominance would affect the ratings. After his marathon the rules was changed to have a cap of around 20 shows.

Most of the other shows and in the past these days only allows so many shows to be won. The existing one is Countdown which allows a player to win up to 8 Shows and, with Challenge's Stake Out back in 2001 having a champion lasting 5 Games (Around a week) and previous versions of J! having the regular 5 show cap along with Sale Of The Century (Chegwin) having a player win enough cash throughout the shows to win the car.

Another streak problem was the original series of The People Versus where it had taken the viewer to beat at least one of the three original starting contestants after six out of the ten shows being shown since it was infinate winnings. Thus caused the show to be boring and re-vamped for Daytime in 2001 with a much better and quicker format of having 3/4 different contestants per show (1 at a time instead of 3) the biggest wins rarely happen as on two occasions two people dominated the show by wiining prizes of £12,900 and £13,000 via completing the 5 round circuit 4 times.

TravisP

Longest streaks?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 06:06:45 PM »
In addition in Australia the show which had long streaks was (Burgo's) Catchphrase as the rules are simple:

"You only become an undefeated champion until you win THAT CAR"

The top prize can be won after winning five shows as long you reach the Super Catchphrase and win it  but it must be done via going through the "M" Square. From my knowledge it takes people around 13/14+ shows just to win the car. The latest winner in the last season was Lorriane Palmer who had taken herself 13 Shows to win the Ford Focus thus along with other prizes over $100,000.

zachhoran

Longest streaks?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 07:39:14 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 04:49 PM\']
IIRC, Salisbury won between 35 and 40 games.  Of course, his final total ($199,750) won much less than McKee's because of two things:
1) While Thom played to 44 ties (including one 7-tie match), Kit favored the categories that could earn him more than one box on a turn, meaning quicker wins.
2) Kit lost a lot of bonus games.

[/quote]
 The Secret Categ'ry(in TTD computer speak) was present for McKee's run(which as you might know doubled the pot for a correct answer when selected), but not in Kit's run. McKee's run also didn't have the Double or Nothing or Bonus Category, which were popular in Kit's run. McKee's 1980 cars were worth around $5300 IIRC, while the cars Kit won where $12K AMC station wagons in 1984.

ChuckNet

Longest streaks?
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 12:08:48 PM »
Some Joker's Wild champs that come to mind are Mike Sherry (8 games), Peter Nagel (9 games), Hal Shear (11 games), Mark Gluckman (13 games) and Eileen Jason (15 games).

Also Joe Dunn, who won 16 games in 1982 and might have lasted longer had he not been forced to retire at that point due to the CBS winnings limit of $50K (which also required that he give back part of his initial $61K+ grand total, thus preventing him from eclipsing the aforementioned Eileen Jason's $58K{?} record).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")