Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheaters  (Read 11128 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Cheaters
« on: June 02, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
Outside of the scandals from the fifties, Thomas' recent post got me wondering if there are very many documented incidents of contestants cheating during their appearances, or at least, less than forthcoming.  I know a couple of people "cheated" on Price, but nothing else came to mind.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Cheaters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
Could you consider the Googling Phone-a-Friends cheaters, if only because they violate the spirit of the lifeline? (Personally, I'm not against that, but at the same time...)

To me, the only Price example of cheating is the Shell Game lady. The guy from Flip Flop a lotta people cite was just being a douchebag.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
Could you consider the Googling Phone-a-Friends cheaters, if only because they violate the spirit of the lifeline?

Um, so much no.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
To me, the only Price example of cheating is the Shell Game lady.

Pretty sure this wasn't cheating either, so much as not fully understanding the directions given to her.  She thought she was supposed to place the chip under the shell instead of beside it.

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »

Pretty sure this wasn't cheating either, so much as not fully understanding the directions given to her.  She thought she was supposed to place the chip under the shell instead of beside it.

I don't buy that. Shell Game wasn't exactly new when this happened and I'm almost certain she had seen it before, so how could you not know the rules of the game?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
  She pretty clearly tries to put the chip under the shell she just lifted.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
  She pretty clearly tries to put the chip under the shell she just lifted.
And then tries to forfeit her chip when she realizes what she did.

Next.

chrisholland03

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »

I don't buy that. Shell Game wasn't exactly new when this happened and I'm almost certain she had seen it before, so how could you not know the rules of the game?

Don't assume the contestants were selected based upon their ability/knowledge of the pricing games :) 

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »
The guy from Flip Flop a lotta people cite was just being a douchebag.
I disagree with this. My thought has always been that the guy was under the impression that he had to hit the button. Like that was how you "locked it in."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
Major Charles Ingram.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
I disagree with this. My thought has always been that the guy was under the impression that he had to hit the button. Like that was how you "locked it in."
I'd agree with you...if the guy had even bothered to change any of the numbers first.

Major Charles Ingram.
*cough**cough*
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »
The guy from Flip Flop a lotta people cite was just being a douchebag.

But regardless of his motivation, cheating this wasn't. Despite what many have tried to say.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
But regardless of his motivation, cheating this wasn't. Despite what many have tried to say.
Same goes for Ted with the Perfect Showcase. It falls in the category of counting cards. You're gaming the system, and it may be frowned upon by TPTB, but more because no one wants to be made to look like an idiot, and lose money in the process.

Major Ingram? Charles Van Doren. They cheated. The TPiR examples (outside of Shell Game), not so much.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SamJ93

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
Don't forget about Toni, the TPiR contestant from 1992 who played 3 Strikes. She was about to draw strike three out of the bag, saw she was about to do it, then quickly reached down and grabbed the last number. IMHO, a much better example of blatant cheating than the Shell Game lady.

/What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall at the production table when that incident happened...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Same goes for Ted with the Perfect Showcase. It falls in the category of counting cards. You're gaming the system, and it may be frowned upon by TPTB, but more because no one wants to be made to look like an idiot, and lose money in the process.
A perfect Showcase bid really isn't the same as counting cards. Memorizing the light patterns on Press Your Luck would be a better comparison.

But Ted? The show's called The Price Is Right, and giving a perfect Showcase bid gives no bigger a reward than it would if you bid within $250 of the price. The only problem with that bid was how the show and especially Drew reacted to it.

Major Ingram? Charles Van Doren. They cheated.
Yeah, but not quite in the same way: Van Doren cheated with help from the production, whereas Ingram cheated with help from an accomplice who was unconnected to Millionaire.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...