Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Fabulous, 60-Minute Three on a Match Game '04  (Read 8183 times)

Mike Tennant

The Fabulous, 60-Minute Three on a Match Game '04
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:55:31 PM »
A recent suggestion on this board to combine WML? and TTTT into a single, hour-long program was not too well received.  We all know the fate of the MG/HS Hour.  So, for $25, here is my riddle:

What two game shows would make a good hybrid?

And for the jackpot:

How would you combine them?

What would you do for a bonus round?

Who would you get to host each segment?

Good luck!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:55 AM\'] What two game shows would make a good hybrid?
 [/quote]
 Spinoff and Seven Keys. I mean, it's just so OBVIOUS, isn't it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 01:38:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 11:55 AM\']What two game shows would make a good hybrid? [/quote]
Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.  They ARE two of the most popular game shows today.

[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 11:55 AM\']How would you combine them?[/quote]
Wheel first with 3 new contestants, then Jeopardy! with the champion of the previous day vs. the top two winners of Wheel.

[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 11:55 AM\']What would you do for a bonus round?[/quote]
Final Jeopardy.

[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 11:55 AM\']Who would you get to host each segment?[/quote]
Todd Newton for WoF and Marc Summers for Jeopardy.  (I think Sajak and Trebek are a little old for this gig.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 01:39:32 PM by WhammyPower »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 01:39:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 01:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:55 AM\'] What two game shows would make a good hybrid?
 [/quote]
Spinoff and Seven Keys. I mean, it's just so OBVIOUS, isn't it?[/quote]
Well, okay, besides those. . .

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
I would propose "Big Showdown/$ale of the century" One half hour should do.  Play "Big Showdown" for dollars rather than points, with Instant Bargains periodically.  At the end the winner is shown many prizes and would throw a special pair of dice.  If they came up Show and Down on the first roll, the player would take all the prizes on stage.  If not, they would have 30 seconds to roll Show and Down to be able to return.  A champ can win all the prizes two ways, with the dice or by amassing enough money through return visits to buy the prizes.  Host: Todd Newton.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »
I'll do one that involves THREE game shows.

PYL/Whammy/Winning Lines

After PYL and Whammy do their thing, respectively, here's what happens:

The 3 contestants from PYL and the 3 contestants from Whammy will make up the 6 contestants for the "Sudden Death" game on Winning Lines. The rules from the show's Sudden Death round also apply here, and Obviously, whoever wins Sudden Death, goes on to the Wonderwall.

I am only doing this for those who like Catchy game show elements, such as the Big Board and the Wonderwall. I'm the guy who looks for Catchy elements each time I watch a game show, and these 3 game shows DO have Catchy elements. Remember, CATCHINESS COUNTS!

As for hosts, Peter Tomarken, Todd Newton, and Dick Clark, respectively.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 03:25:21 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 03:27:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:16 PM\']PYL/Whammy/Winning Lines

The 3 contestants from PYL and the 3 contestants from Whammy will make up the 6 contestants for the "Sudden Death" game on Winning Lines. The rules from the show's Sudden Death round also apply here, and Obviously, whoever wins Sudden Death, goes on to the Wonderwall.[/quote]
First, I would like it to be noted for the record that I am exercising considerable restraint in not responding to the latter part of that message.

Yes, obviously, the winner of Sudden Death plays the Wonderwall. And, also obviously, the winners of the PYL and Whammy! segments get the benefit of . . . um, and a contestant who gets four whammies is allowed to . . . er.

"And you're out of the game! Until five minutes from now. It's that cutthroat."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 03:40:40 PM »
The only hybrid that for me would be feasible from a theme and ownership standpoint would be "Gambit" and "High Rollers"--both gambling-based shows, both with similar formats (although I had ideas of changing the tossup format to separate the two) and both owned by MGM.

Oh yeah--"TJW"/"TTD"--but you'd have to do a lot of work to try to distinguish the two shows from each other from more than just scoring gimmicks.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 03:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 01:27 PM\'] Yes, obviously, the winner of Sudden Death plays the Wonderwall. And, also obviously, the winners of the PYL and Whammy! segments get the benefit of . . . um, and a contestant who gets four whammies is allowed to . . . er.

"And you're out of the game! Until five minutes from now. It's that cutthroat." [/quote]
 It's the Kinder, Gentler Gameshow. That's a VERY catchy concept, Mr. Hutchinson. And CATCHINESS COUNTS. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 04:36:02 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:16 PM\'] I'll do one that involves THREE game shows.

PYL/Whammy/Winning Lines

After PYL and Whammy do their thing, respectively, here's what happens:

The 3 contestants from PYL and the 3 contestants from Whammy will make up the 6 contestants for the "Sudden Death" game on Winning Lines. The rules from the show's Sudden Death round also apply here, and Obviously, whoever wins Sudden Death, goes on to the Wonderwall.

I am only doing this for those who like Catchy game show elements, such as the Big Board and the Wonderwall. I'm the guy who looks for Catchy elements each time I watch a game show, and these 3 game shows DO have Catchy elements. Remember, CATCHINESS COUNTS!

As for hosts, Peter Tomarken, Todd Newton, and Dick Clark, respectively. [/quote]
 Um...what exactly is so different about PYL and Whammy, that you would have to make two separate segments for them?

And also, catchiness counts, but if you don't have some sort of gameplay, your show is D.O.A. Winning Lines had the Wonderwall, but it had no gameplay. It died a quiet death...RIP 2000-2000.

Hell, even PYL had the 4 questions, even though it was nothing but a BS method of distributing spins.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 05:07:03 PM »
I have no hybrid ideas (the one hybrid show we ever got didn't work very well), but I do like the subject header.  My contributions:

Three for the Money Maze
The Big Show Down You Go
Who, What, or Where Was I?
Now You See It Takes Two
Everything Goes Bzzz!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 05:08:14 PM by calliaume »

tommycharles

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 05:27:14 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 05:07 PM\']
Everything Goes Bzzz! [/quote]
 Erm....you might want to check with your doctor...

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 06:47:27 PM »
OK, after trying Make The Love Connection (a guy goes on two dates chosen by the audience, then tries to figure out what they have in common), I tried:

The Eye Guess/Hollywood Squares hour!

Hey, the boards are the same. In the first half hour, two challengers play Eye Guess, with your favorite celebs  hidden behind screens in the HS board. They're lifted briefly, except for the center square (who, when chosen, gets wild applause from the Mackenzie), and host Patrick Wayne asks: Which star was chosen for last year's best-dressed list? Imagine the hilarity when the contestant picks No. 9 and Gilbert Gottfried is there!

The winner plays Hollywood Squares, of course, against the champ and if you need a big finish bonus round after this hour of hijinx, your life will be much too full.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 04:07 PM\'] Everything Goes Bzzz! [/quote]
 If it's a hit, a competing syndicator will come up with

Almost Anything Goes Whew!
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Justin30519

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 07:37:22 PM »
This isn't a combination game like MG/HS Hour. It's a pure hybrid. I came up with it when I was a kid. It's a combination of The Joker's Wild and Card Sharks. I posed this years ago either on GSL or atgs (Todd Newton wears pink panties!)

When you spin the slots, instead of categories, playing cards come up. Face cards count as jokers do on TJW. The other cards represent the number of cards you must call correctly to get the money. (Same scoring system in TJW. i.e. $50, $100, $200.) If you spin three eights, you'd have to call eight cards. If you get a two, an eight, or a joker, you can call two or eight cards for $100. This isn't rocket science. You can change the first card. You can never change two cards in a row. If you miss, your opponent gets to call the rest of the cards to try to steal the money. He can't change the card you missed on. (But he can still change every other card after that if he wants.) There are three decks involved. Each player has his own deck, just like in Card Sharks. The slot machine has its own deck. Cards are never discarded - otherwise you could run out of cards. If you get three face cards, that's three jokers. Call one card right, and you win the game.

The bonus game has all face cards removed from the deck except one. That face card is the devil. Any face cards you spin are multiplied by 100. (2 is $200, 3 is $300, ..., 10 is $100. Aces count as $100.) Get to $1,000 and you win. Hit the devil/face card, and you lose everything.

I expect to see this as a GSN original some time in 2004!

Justin in GA