Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Contestants and Shirt Logos  (Read 7538 times)

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Contestants and Shirt Logos
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Seems I heard somewhere (probably from a bowling buddy) that they didn't want you coming to the studio with a recognizable, conspicuous logo on your clothing.  A player on today's show had on a Superman t-shirt, and while that shield is iconic in a way that transcends most logos, it's still a licensed property owned by a zillion-dollar company.  Thoughts?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: TPIR Contestants and Shirt Logos
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Was the show recorded before or after CBS agreed last month to broadcast a show that prominently features that shield?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Today's show was taped on April 20...which leaves me mystified as well.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine they aren't as concerned about a shirt mimicking a fictional character as they would be about one with, say, a Coke logo on it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine they aren't as concerned about a shirt mimicking a fictional character as they would be about one with, say, a Coke logo on it.

That's about all I could figure as well, but if that's the case, it strikes me as an oddly nuanced position to take.  Free advertising is free advertising, whether it's for a product or a franchise.  I bet, for example, that they would balk if someone showed up in a Star Trek shirt.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Seems I heard somewhere (probably from a bowling buddy)
I don't have the books anymore, but it did seem to come up in the Be a Contestant/Win Squillions of Dollars ones.

It's possible that they relaxed the rules, or that the author was wrong/making stuff up, or any of a number of things, but I've read the "no logos or brand names" before.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
Today, for the record, also happens to be National Superman Day. A stretch, perhaps, but I could see that playing a role.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
PYLdude FTW.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »

That's about all I could figure as well, but if that's the case, it strikes me as an oddly nuanced position to take.  Free advertising is free advertising, whether it's for a product or a franchise.  I bet, for example, that they would balk if someone showed up in a Star Trek shirt.

I don't know...CBS controls the distribution for the TV series, so maybe that might slide.

I wouldn't try it, certainly, but...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »
Didn't TPIR do a "make up your own national day day" this year?
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
How would that unwritten rule work for high-end clothing lines? My wife usually gets me Nautica shirts which has the rather visible sailboat logo.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 12:32:50 AM »
Just a complete guess, off the top of my head, but would the contestant coordinators/producers simply gloss over that person during the screening process, and put said contestant somewhere in the back where the logo wouldn't show up so easily?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
I know this is kinda low-tech, but when I was a part of my brother's college quizzer they solved said issue with black tape...

/as player and as show villain/question writer
//Barry and Enright didn't have shit on me

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 01:59:32 AM »
I know this is kinda low-tech, but when I was a part of my brother's college quizzer they solved said issue with black tape...
I was thinking maybe they could take the reality show route and simply blur out the logo. It would just look amateurish, IMO, and make for a lot of work when they can just simply say "Next!" as they search for their nine contestants.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »

/as player and as show villain/question writer
//Barry and Enright didn't have shit on me

On a couple of my visits during the Barker era, some audience participants were asked to visit the restroom and turn their shirts inside out.  I also recall at least one person in the pre-line (where you were given a placeholder) being asked to change their shirt before returning.  I always figured those were the folks who were wearing CBS logo shirts -- they visited the pro shop in the lobby.