Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Cancelled  (Read 23256 times)

bellbm

Pyramid Cancelled
« on: January 14, 2004, 10:54:55 PM »
From Variety.com

Mystery of 'Pyramid': Sony TV yanks gamer
Latest Nielsen shows gameshow saw increase

By LILY OEI
Sony Pictures Television has upended "Pyramid" in its sophomore year.
Stations were informed by the distrib Tuesday that the show would not be returning. Meanwhile, a rep for Sony said no decision had yet been made and declined further comment.

According to latest Nielsen numbers, "Pyramid" finished the week of Jan. 4 up, with a 1.9 rating, a 6% increase season to date. Although sixth among syndie gameshows, for the most part, it was widely thought to be renewable.

News comes the same day that distrib released its February sweeps celebrity sked, including a promotion on the Feb. 5 episode of "Friends" when Matt LeBlanc's character, Joey Tribbiani, appears as a "Pyramid" contestant.

Since strip exhibited no signs of being on the bubble, insiders believe Sony is clearing the decks for its new fall launches: hourlong chat fest "Life & Style" or half-hour "Pat Croce: Moving In."

Date in print: Thurs., Jan. 15, 2004, Gotham

Dang, I was hoping to audition for the show again

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 11:00:01 PM »
dude...tell me this is not happening?! Its January 14th, and its already becoming a death year for Game Shows! Yeesh!

whampyl03

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 11:05:42 PM »
Despite its flaws, (Mainly judging) I greatly enjoyed Pyramid, and will miss the show a whole bunch... :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 11:07:17 PM by whampyl03 »

zachhoran

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 11:15:21 PM »
Oh well, nice while its lasted despite the flaws we've discussed in here. I suppose it'll turn up in GSN reruns next year perhaps.

urbanpreppie05

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »
Man....I really liked this show...

however, I had heard a rumor three weeks or so ago that it was not being renewed. So maybe it's true.

sigh..all these shows being cancelled for MORE talk shows and Trading spaces ripoffs.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 11:19:24 PM »
This is getting pretty sad. Two cancellations in one week...I mean, we expected H2, but I thought Pyramid had legs, with the ratings increase. :-(
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 11:23:27 PM »
That's as shocking than H2's axing. Really, I liked SOME parts of this version, just as I did the previous versions. But also, just like the previous versions, there were some things I could not stand.

The things I hated outweighed the things I liked about this version. While I like the fact that you CAN go back to a word that you passed in the front game (as opposed to the previous versions), the tournament rules aren't good, and the WC rules for both tournament and non-tournament play don't look so good.

I think they need to re-think their ideas if this show is ever gonna get revived again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 01:27:26 AM by gameshowguy2000 »

catnap1972

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 11:29:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 11:19 PM\'] This is getting pretty sad. Two cancellations in one week...I mean, we expected H2, but I thought Pyramid had legs, with the ratings increase. :-( [/quote]
Let's hope the old addage ("bad things come in threes") doesn't hold true.

How's Feud doing in the ratings?

EDIT: scratch that...just saw it's been renewed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 11:34:00 PM by catnap1972 »

Winkfan

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 11:36:54 PM »
As they would often say in 'Peanuts,' AAAUUUGH!!!!!

It looks like my game show viewing time is getting whittled down some next year. Oh well, at least my cable outlet added VH-1 Classic last month; so I'll adjust.

Before they close up shop though, let's see some CLASSIC game show folk on 'Pyramid!'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Anita Gillette of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

The Ol' Guy

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 11:40:40 PM »
That is bad news indeed! Our local NBC affiliate carries Squares and Feud as a morning block, and Pyramid and Millionaire as an afternoon block, and I was under the impression they were happy with all the shows. Two down....
Personally, I would rather have seen Feud go than Squares, but I never expected Pyramid would go away this year. One more season, maybe.  But if true, this is rotten news. I know it's only a game show and life goes on - but it seems like life has a lot fewer nice things along the way these days.  

Looks like Endless Games better get ready for a box cover reprint....

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 12:28:04 AM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:54 PM\'] Sony Pictures Television has upended "Pyramid" in its sophomore year.
 [/quote]
 This is the first judging decision made relating to this show that I agree with.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Red

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 12:32:29 AM »
Jeez, I'm getting dissapointed from all these cancellations, this show was good. Replacing for Talk Shows? What are they thinking?!?!
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 12:41:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 12:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'bellbm\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:54 PM\'] Sony Pictures Television has upended "Pyramid" in its sophomore year.
 [/quote]
This is the first judging decision made relating to this show that I agree with. [/quote]
 Ditto.  I greatly disliked this show all around...and I certainly won't miss it.  Sorry to the person who posts on this board that is now unemployed.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Speedy G

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 12:43:46 AM »
Since strip exhibited no signs of being on the bubble, insiders believe Sony is clearing the decks for its new fall launches: hourlong chat fest "Life & Style" or half-hour "Pat Croce: Moving In."
PAT CROCE?!  You mean that schmuck in the in-studio Slamball segments who screams what comes up on his prompter?! (He sure as heck didn't come up with it himself...)

Pyramid had a stack of minor/major annoyances, but if they think anyone will be watching Pat freaking Croce for any more than five minutes, they're high.

Well, at this rate (and with the rumors that there's little new GS stuff at NATPE), may as well be hoping for the best when all the major network sitcoms die off in the near future...
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 01:34:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 10:43 PM\'] PAT CROCE?!  You mean that schmuck in the in-studio Slamball segments who screams what comes up on his prompter?! (He sure as heck didn't come up with it himself...)

Pyramid had a stack of minor/major annoyances, but if they think anyone will be watching Pat freaking Croce for any more than five minutes, they're high.
 [/quote]
 I like Pat Croce. Only (former) NBA owner aside from Mark Cuban who tells it like it is.

And that "schmuck" could buy and sell you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe