Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wayne Brady to star in Kinky Boots on Broadway  (Read 4269 times)

brianhenke

Wayne Brady to star in Kinky Boots on Broadway
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
  Wayne Brady is going to be the new lead of the Broadway musical Kinky Boots.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/wayne-brady-will-drag-it-as-next-star-of-broadways-kinky-boots-357535

How will this affect Let's Make a Deal? Is LMAD going to be taping lots of shows in advance? (I don't know how long he will be in the show.)

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Wayne Brady to star in Kinky Boots on Broadway
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:41:01 PM »
(I don't know how long he will be in the show.)
Probably for the run of the show. I don't know if they have alternating casts so that the performers can rest for a day, but Wayne will do the show until he doesn't--whether the show comes to a conclusion or someone else is cast in the lead.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Probably for the run of the show. I don't know if they have alternating casts so that the performers can rest for a day, but Wayne will do the show until he doesn't--whether the show comes to a conclusion or someone else is cast in the lead.

Actually, it's quite fair to wonder how long of a run Wayne signed up for.  This sort of stunt casting, especially for a show that's been around a few years, is increasingly common, and rarely open-ended.  He almost certainly signed up for a finite amount of time (usually in three-month increments) after which he'll wave goodbye and they'll continue with a no-name in the role or find some other vaguely famous person to do it for a while.  Chicago has thrived on that formula for years, with notables popping in for a while to goose ticket sales.  Notably in our little world, John O'Hurley has played in Chicago both on Broadway and on tour between TV hosting gigs.

No, they don't have "alternate casts".  Wayne will have an understudy, of course, but they'll try to have him do as many shows as possible since that's who people will be paying to see.  And of course this doesn't affect LMAD at all.  He's not starting until November, so chances are he'll have finished the entire season of Deal by then anyway.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
And of course this doesn't affect LMAD at all.  He's not starting until November, so chances are he'll have finished the entire season of Deal by then anyway.
Yeah, they're usually done filming the entire season by October and they started in July, so I'm sure this will have no effect whatsoever.

Good for him. Following him on Twitter, he seems to do a lot of acting in plays in different playhouses during his downtime. Kind of reminds me of other game show hosts who did the same thing (Allen Ludden immediately comes to mind).
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
I got an email the other day for some reason from On Camera Audiences about available tickets for LMAD... they're taping the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes this month, so given that they're taping that far in advance and still have a couple months to go, I think it's fair to say this won't have any effect on the show.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JayDLewis

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »

Actually, it's quite fair to wonder how long of a run Wayne signed up for.  This sort of stunt casting, especially for a show that's been around a few years, is increasingly common, and rarely open-ended.

Hedwig has had a number of rotating leads (Neil Patrick Harris & Taye Diggs spring to mind). I suspect this might be a way to lure "big names" into doing a big production without having to make a multi-year commitment. Plus, you might get people who want to see Big Time Star A's version vs Big Time Star B's version (I.e. putting asses in seats).
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Robair

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
I got an email the other day for some reason from On Camera Audiences about available tickets for LMAD... they're taping the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes this month, so given that they're taping that far in advance and still have a couple months to go, I think it's fair to say this won't have any effect on the show.
They're doing three-a-days (with the exception of one two-show day), four days a week, with two weeks off from now until October 31. So all 175 shows of Season 7 will be taped by then.
--Robair