Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Angel Baby  (Read 2456 times)

CherryPizza

Angel Baby
« on: January 15, 2004, 08:12:31 PM »
I don't know if you've heard of this movie before, but I happened to walk past the DVD in the video shop and thought it warranted a mention on this board.

The plot summary from imdb reads: "Two schizophrenics meet during therapy and fall passionately in love. Ahead of them lies the inevitable road to disaster...one they share to the end."

Ok, I hear you saying "Sounds intriguing, but what's it got to do with this board?"

The answer, simply enough, is that the female character is absolutely dependent on the Australian version of Wheel of Fortune. She has a shrine to Adriana Xenides (the then-hostess) in her home, and she watches Wheel to receive messages from her guardian angel via the WoF puzzle board. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I can't remember the details intimately, but two examples that come to mind are:

The puzzle board says "Great Expectations", and this is apparently a message that the woman is going to be pregnant

At another time it says "Worst Case Scenario", and this is a message that something bad was going to happen to her (I forget what)

At one point WoF is put on hiatus, and the schizophrenic woman (Kate) is absolutely distraught, and is unsure how she will cope.

Special WoF material was filmed to be inserted into the film, and in addition to the game show fan's thrill of seeing the show appearing in such a context, it's also a powerful message about the human condition.

I don't know how easy it is to get hold of Australian movies where you lot live, but should you come across it, it's definitely worth a look.

For further details check out the movie's IMdB listing

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Angel Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 08:14:14 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 06:12 PM\'] At one point WoF is put on hiatus, and the schizophrenic woman (Kate) is absolutely distraught, and is unsure how she will cope.
 [/quote]
 I'm fairly sure there are some people here who would go through exactly the same reaction. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

Angel Baby
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 10:32:10 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 08:14 PM\'][quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 06:12 PM\'] At one point WoF is put on hiatus, and the schizophrenic woman (Kate) is absolutely distraught, and is unsure how she will cope.
 [/quote]
I'm fairly sure there are some people here who would go through exactly the same reaction. :)[/quote]
I KNOW what you MEAN, Chris!  WOF should be kept ON THE AIR for 50 YEARS!  Forget the MONEY aspect of it!  It's one of THE GREATEST GAME SHOWS ever invented!  Tell MERV to FOOT THE BILL HIMSELF!  He can afford IT!  We CANNOT AFFORD to lose WHEEL OF FORTUNE!

clemon79

Angel Baby
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 11:58:31 AM »
Jesus Christ, my eyes. :)

Brandon Brooks

Angel Baby
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 12:15:32 PM »
Ooooh.... pretty colors!

Brandon Brooks

ChuckNet

Angel Baby
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 05:31:32 PM »
A DVD of the movie's now up for bids on eBay, but since it's a "region 5" (Australia/NZ) disc, that kinda rules me out. :-(

Chuck DOnegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

CherryPizza

Angel Baby
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 05:53:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 10:32 AM\']
I KNOW what you MEAN, Chris!  WOF should be kept ON THE AIR for 50 YEARS!  Forget the MONEY aspect of it!  It's one of THE GREATEST GAME SHOWS ever invented!  Tell MERV to FOOT THE BILL HIMSELF!  He can afford IT!  We CANNOT AFFORD to lose WHEEL OF FORTUNE! [/quote]
 How do you REALLY feel? Don't hold back now

Mike Tennant

Angel Baby
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 04:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 10:32 AM\']
I KNOW what you MEAN, Chris!  WOF should be kept ON THE AIR for 50 YEARS!  Forget the MONEY aspect of it!  It's one of THE GREATEST GAME SHOWS ever invented!  Tell MERV to FOOT THE BILL HIMSELF!  He can afford IT!  We CANNOT AFFORD to lose WHEEL OF FORTUNE! [/quote]
How do you REALLY feel? Don't hold back now[/quote]
Actually, I'm not too big on WOF.  I was just doing my best Thad Dixon impression there.

tommycharles

Angel Baby
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 04:30:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:31 PM\'] A DVD of the movie's now up for bids on eBay, but since it's a "region 5" (Australia/NZ) disc, that kinda rules me out. :-(

Chuck DOnegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Well...you could watch it once at least, couldn't you? I thought most DVD players allowed the region to be changed 3/4/5 times.

(Of course, I wasn't even aware there was a region 5, so that shows how smart I am)

clemon79

Angel Baby
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 05:20:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jan 17 2004, 02:30 PM\'] Well...you could watch it once at least, couldn't you? I thought most DVD players allowed the region to be changed 3/4/5 times.

[/quote]
 Commercial home stereo DVD players are usually hardcoded to the region they serve, unless it's one of the ones where you can hack the BIOS to make it region-free. (Google can tell you more there.)

If you have a DVD-ROM drive in your computer, and run Windows, removing that drive in Device Manager and then allowing Windows to find it again will usually reset the region-change counter.
(Of course, I wasn't even aware there was a region 5, so that shows how smart I am)
Yep. Kills me, 'cuz it means I need to chip my PS2 if I want to play AFL Live on it anytime soon, unless Acclame gets a clue in their head and does an R1 version!