Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NPH Best Time Ever  (Read 7124 times)

opimus1

NPH Best Time Ever
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
 Is it me or does NPH Best Time Ever look like a Sabado Gigante ripoff?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: NPH Best Time Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
Is it me or does NPH Best Time Ever look like a Sabado Gigante ripoff?
http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Saturday_Night_Takeaway
Travis L. Eberle

alfonzos

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:27 AM »
It is based on a British show called "Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway." Official You tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/itvtakeaway
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:44:10 AM »
We just watched this painfully until Carrot Top appeared. That was enough for us.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:52:47 AM »
I liked it because it's a shot-for-shot remake, though you can't quite recreate Ant vs. Dec or Win the Ads (which changes to Get Lucky), but the bits that I watched I enjoyed.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 12:56:17 AM »
We felt that Harris got to the point of "Laugh, dammit. This is funny!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »
I think it'll get better with time. It wasn't perfect, but I can't imagine there are too many shows that hit it out of the park from week one.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
A lot of the stuff that was meant to seem spontaneous actually seemed pretty fabricated to me.  In fact, most of it. From the couple who somehow didn't realize that NPH had crashed their wedding, despite what had to be a professional film crew running around, to the Oscar-winning actress supposedly seeing for the very first time a complicated and elaborate stunt "race" she was expected to perform.  Lots of smaller stuff too.  For something that was marketed on its unpredictability, it sure looked like they worked VERY hard to hedge their bets.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
I think it'll get better with time. It wasn't perfect, but I can't imagine there are too many shows that hit it out of the park from week one.
I recall that a li'l ol' quiz show with "Millionaire" in the title didn't come out guns blazing either: it took until night three for things to fall into place. That said, the show has been on the air in the UK off-and-on since 2002. I don't know if Takeaway took time to grow into what it became, but I assume with new bits being added and others retired that SNT evolved in a similar way. The problem I foresee is that if folks tune in last week and didn't like what they saw that they're less likely to give it another go in three days. It's part game show and part variety show, but less than the sum of its parts here.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 01:05:09 AM »
A lot of the stuff that was meant to seem spontaneous actually seemed pretty fabricated to me.  In fact, most of it. From the couple who somehow didn't realize that NPH had crashed their wedding, despite what had to be a professional film crew running around, to the Oscar-winning actress supposedly seeing for the very first time a complicated and elaborate stunt "race" she was expected to perform.  Lots of smaller stuff too.  For something that was marketed on its unpredictability, it sure looked like they worked VERY hard to hedge their bets.

I'm sure they sent Reese footage of the stunt (or a similar one) being done on the UK version- I don't think you'd be able to get guest announcers to agree to stunts they've never seen before.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
I'm watching it now. Seems like it's trying to do too much, and trying a little too hard to live up to its name.

This bit with the boyfriend who was supposed to be in Vegas but "surprises" his g/f with a proposal was a bit much...esp. the closeup of the Kay Jewelers box.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »
I'm watching it now. Seems like it's trying to do too much, and trying a little too hard to live up to its name.
It really would benefit from expanding to 90 minutes in order to allow the various bits to breathe. There's so many different things that we're jumping from the opening game to singalong to celebrity undercover to Neil Vs. to Get Lucky to the End of the Show Show and now we're done and an hour has gone by, and none of the bits feel fleshed out.
Travis L. Eberle

geno57

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Eyes of a Generation just posted eight pics of the show, behind the scenes.

Here's the FB link ... They also have the website, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/189359747768249/photos/pcb.898062536897963/898062073564676/?type=3&theater