Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Owe It To Yourself  (Read 5738 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
You Owe It To Yourself
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
I just recently made a deal for a 16mm color film of a game show called You Owe It To Yourself with Allen Ludden. It's not transferred to a viewable format yet, so I haven't even seen the show for myself.
I don't know when I'll get it transferred and I'm just overcome with curiosity.
Does anyone remember this show or know any information behind it?

The only thing I know about it is, according to accompanying documentation, it's a show in which married couples answer questions related to finance. When did this air? Was it even broadcast nationally?

--Jamie
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 03:01:46 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Jimmy Owen

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »
I think it was a one-time-only thing that ran on public TV or was an IRS public service film.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'146345\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 02:01 PM\']
I just recently made a deal for a 16mm color film of a game show called You Owe It To Yourself with Allen Ludden. It's not transferred to a viewable format yet, so I haven't even seen the show for myself.

The only thing I know about it is, according to accompanying documentation, it's a show in which married couples answer questions related to finance. When did this air? Was it even broadcast nationally?[/quote]

It was televised at least regionally through the Eastern Educational Network, which was a bicycling network, not an actual landline network.  It's now known as American Public Television, the secondary programming service behind "The Nightly Business Report," BBC newscasts, "America's Test Kitchen" and the Lawrence Welk reruns, among other programs.

I know for sure that it was not a one-shot, but I can't remember the exact number of programs.

From what I remember, two couples competed for points by writing down answers to questions or switching cards with magnets on the back on a board.  A panel of financial experts explained the answers and the winning couple received what Ludden called "a pocket computer," or a calculator, which was about $150 back then.

narzo

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'146345\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 03:01 PM\']

The only thing I know about it is, according to accompanying documentation, it's a show in which married couples answer questions related to finance. When did this air? Was it even broadcast nationally?

--Jamie
[/quote]

It was mid to late 70's.  We saw it weekly in the afternoon; at least four episodes.

snowpeck

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »

Meanwhile, Kobel and his staff had been busy developing more public relations projects. During Rosen's administration a second series of NALU sponsored advertisements appeared in national magazines. There was also a Public Broadcasting Service Television series, "You Owe It To Yourself." The ten-part series covered various aspects of money management and family finances to show what life insurance, health insurance and estate planing could accomplish for the family's security. Using the quiz show format, the series, created and produced by WITF-TV, in Hershey, Pennsylvania, was made possible by a $75,000 grant from the NALU. Allen Ludden, nationally known quiz-master of "Password," was master of ceremonies. At the height of the viewing season nearly on hundred forty PBS stations were broadcasting the NALU-funded series.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Neumms

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:04:08 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'146376\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 07:16 PM\']
Allen Ludden, nationally known quiz-master of "Password," was master of ceremonies.
[/quote]

We don't see the term "quizmaster" (with or without hyphen) nearly often enough around here.

tvmitch

You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:31:32 AM »
I wonder if a call to WITF (my local PBS station) would warrant any more info or episodes of this one...neat to think that Ludden himself taped a show no more than 30 miles away from me. I'm sure Aaron might have something to say on this one too...
You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

Re: You Owe It To Yourself
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
OK, as I bump a nearly 9-year old thread....WITF is celebrating 50 years of broadcasting and put up an an album on FB of old slides over the years....And there *are* some pictures of Allen Ludden taping this show. They can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/rex.athey/media_set?set=a.10206969413428204.1073741845.1664960901&type=3&uploaded=223

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Google's newspaper archive pinpoints the airdate as July 1974. Here's a very small ad for the show. It is billed as "A Game Show To Help You Manage Your Money".
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
Google's newspaper archive pinpoints the airdate as July 1974. Here's a very small ad for the show. It is billed as "A Game Show To Help You Manage Your Money".

In doing some searching on it, it looks like there was more than one (not sure exactly how many) as each one seemed to have a theme. Pretty cool that Allen Ludden came to Harrisburg to tape these.