Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What games are you revisiting?  (Read 6761 times)

Sodboy13

What games are you revisiting?
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:56:44 PM »
I ask this because I find myself on a bit of a Wipeout '88 kick lately. The game mechanic and the formatting of the questions are really engaging to me, even if the show format overall rubs me the wrong way by having just the one 3-player round before kicking someone to the curb. (The BBC version made things much better by playing 3 rounds of pass the buck before going to the head-to-head auction, but it doesn't seem like many episodes have made it online.)

A few months back, I kept going back to $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, and its British sister, All Clued Up.

So, what shows do you find yourself drawn to time and again, even if it is a "warts and all" situation?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: What games are you revisiting?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »
I keep going back to Collyer Beat the Clock, myself -- I like game shows that seem to have fun as a high priority, and I got a kick out of one stunt where they had a contestant spray stunt coordinators Bob Howard and Frank Wayne (plus her own husband) with whipped cream. :)

About a month ago, I was on a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour kick -- the Match portions are consistently good from start to finish, and in the early months Squares is tolerable and even fun. By the end, when the latter had pretty much nothing but "cutesy" scenario questions, I was skimming through those parts.

My brother and I have also been watching Scrabble. The early episodes feel so weird, but it's fun to see the show's evolution into what we remembered it as.

I've also been watching daytime Sale of the Century. I can't really describe it (I guess it might be because most of them haven't been reran, or because of the questions pertaining to then-current events), but there's something amazing about this version compared to the syndie one.

(The BBC version [of Wipeout] made things much better by playing 3 rounds of pass the buck before going to the head-to-head auction, but it doesn't seem like many episodes have made it online.)
From what I've found, there's just under 20 episodes online (I've compiled the video links I could find here), but most are from after Bob Monkhouse became host...and, in my opinion, inferior to the few Paul Daniels shows I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I love Bob and his work, but from what I can tell he wasn't in the best of health by 1998 and giving him five-show taping days probably wasn't the best idea. I've tried watching shows from his era, and both he and the game itself just seem so slow even with Challenge editing out most of the pre-game banter.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:41:53 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »
Millionaire UK. Regis Philbin is unequipped to take out Chris Tarrant's garbage can.
Travis L. Eberle

rstrata

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
$ale of the Century and NBC Card Sharks, as part of my own personal Jim Perry Memorial Marathon.

(My oldest daughter watched many CS episodes with me over the course of the last year; she was enthralled with Perry's banter and style, but begged me during the Eubanks episodes to "just fast forward to the Money Cards already".   Hmm...)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Eubanks is pretty much insufferable on Card Sharks.

I've been watching a lot of Scrabble lately...as I've run the few episodes of the 80s syndie Deal into the ground.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
$ale, and some MG7x here and there.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »
Around the holidays I enjoy pulling up shows that will have the set decorated for Christmas (TPiR, P+, SP). Family Feud too...many of the questions (especially on the shows whose OAD *was* Christmas) are all Christmas-themed.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:30:03 PM »
I've been in-between Bergeron's Squares and Scrabble (despite displacing my downloads [and subsequent wish of reposting] of the '85 ToC that were once posted).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:24:03 PM by Strikerz04 »

Winkfan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »
I'm currently going over all the Let's Ask America episodes that were on GSN not too long ago. I saved them on hard drive, and have since transferred them to DVD disc.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »
Nighttime Price Is Right with Dennis James.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 04:15:41 AM »
High Rollers, mixed in with a little Name That Tune.

Trebek was such a better fit for High Rollers than Wink was. Too much polish on the 1987 edition, the 1970s edition felt more naturally flowing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WhammyPower

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
The 1970s edition felt more naturally flowing.
There's a reason for that...
As synonymous as Trebek is with Jeopardy, i tend to like him better on more relaxed shows like High Rollers and Concentration.

I tend to find myself going back to Perry's Card Sharks and Goen Wheel pretty often.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

The Pyramids

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
When you guys look at old favorites are you more inclined to use your own collection or YouTube posted material?

JonSea31

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Every so many months, I may have a kick for watching and recording Drew's TPIR, doing so for two or three weeks, only to lose interest in it after that, though I do watch it when I am off from work, as long as it is a first-run dpisode.

I think Big Money Week last October sparked my kick for recording and watching TPIR, even for just a few weeks, and losing interest after the Halloween episode.  Maybe Dream Car Week this coming February might cause a new kick, but only if GSN doesn't air any fresh episodes of classics I enjoy during that time.

Aside from TPIR, I had gotten a kick for NBC and non-GSN syndicated $ale of the Century in the wake of Jim Perry's death.  Still retain it to this day.

I have lost interest in Press Your Luck and Eubanks' Card Sharks since last spring, but I am sure my interest in Press Your Luck will regain again if GSN acquires the final three months of the series someday.  Though my interest in Eubanks' Card Sharks may not be as strong anymore (since I got the episodes I most desired), but my interest will likely regain if more fresh episodes come.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:35:08 PM by JonSea31 »
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.