Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Rankings  (Read 2779 times)

The Pyramids

New Rankings
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »
DO you remember our poll of greatest hosts a decade ago? Where in the surrey do you think Howie Mandel, Drew Carey & Steve Harvey would rank if it were done today, if at all.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Re: New Rankings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »
Where in the surrey do you think Howie Mandel, Drew Carey & Steve Harvey would rank if it were done today, if at all.

On the fringe.
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
DO you remember our poll of greatest hosts a decade ago? Where in the surrey do you think Howie Mandel, Drew Carey & Steve Harvey would rank if it were done today, if at all.

I'd have put them right outside of Burnaby, myself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
I found the actual thread for reference (warning: the formatting/code makes it tough to discern the rankings). I don't think I would really rank any of the guys Paul mentioned.

They've done a decent enough job in their respective roles, but I think they all have, what, two shows at most, and none of them add up to more than a decade? Granted, not counting pilots, I believe Pat Sajak only had Wheel and a one-time College Bowl gig, and then you have someone like Tom Bergeron, with only a couple of shows I believe, so maybe the number of shows is a moot point.

By my math, Drew's got the most experience at eight years, but IMO he still seems like he's phoning it in at times. Howie and Jeff moved the game along, but still seemed a bit repetitive at times. That's not necessarily their fault; the shows were just really, really basic. Steve is a great ad-libber, but you've seen one overreaction to a wacky answer, you've seen them all.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
Do you remember our poll of greatest hosts a decade ago? Where in the survey do you think Howie Mandel, Drew Carey & Steve Harvey would rank if it were done today, if at all.
The best case of the three is for Howie Mandel who essentially ringmaster'd a circus, and orchestrated the pace and intensity. Sure, they're all comedians hosting a game show instead of game show hosts, but that's the paradigm we're in now. Personally I wouldn't put them ahead of Kevin O"Connell, Jim Peck, Mark L. Walberg or any of the laundry-list of lauded game show hosts who are better than the breaks they've gotten.
Travis L. Eberle