Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 256310 times)

Otm Shank

Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #405 on: July 04, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
I'm confused ... when is Matlock coming on?

Somewhere in there, we mentioned both shows, so to get my comment back on to Pyramid....

The titular prize is $100,000, but a contestant can actually win $150,000 for clearing both Winners Circles. Much more than the CPI-adjusted Pyramid grand prize.

Unrealtor

« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
Assuming Da Rules are as we remember them from the 80's, I guess the question boils down to Do you accept nouns as synonyms for verbs? "Memorize" comes up as a synonym for "remember," so a case could be made that "memories" should be zapped as well.

Seems to me that "memory" and "remember" are forms of the same word.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have flown under as the synonym rule as they treated it in the 80s, given that the category is almost literally the dictionary definition of the clue ("something that is remembered", according to Merriam-Webster.com). On the other hand, I don't think that you can make an argument that they're forms of the same word (they have a common root, but you have to go several steps back into the etymology to find it) and I can accept a ruling that it's technically a legal clue because it's not actually listed as a synonym according to their word authority.

Then again, I'm also pretty sure that the 80s version would have had "THINGS YOU REMEMBER (MEMORIES)" in the box just to avoid this exact can of worms, and I wouldn't be shocked if exactly that came up at one point.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

colonial

« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »
I recorded last night's "Pyramid" on DVR and watched it with the Mrs. She knows little about "Pyramid" and was more interested, at first, to see what host Michael Strahan was doing in between his "Live" and "GMA" gigs.

A little more than halfway through the first match (Ana Gasteyer vs. Rachel Dratch), she turned to me and said "These SNL ladies are great at this game".

Then she spouted off a clue or two during the second Winner's Circle. I think "Pyramid" won her over :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
So in your world, the words "buying power" have no meaning?  Because most assuredly, $10,000 in 1973 buys you a bit more than $50,000 does in 2016.  Inflation is a real thing, even though it appears you just want to be pedantic.
He didn't say "buying power", he said "in actuality." I'm just saying that numbers have meanings like words.

In 1973, $10,000 was a massive prize to be won on a game show in the span of sixty seconds anyway, but it also comes on the heels of about fifteen years where the most any show gave away was a thousand dollars. The paradigm had shifted forever when "$10,000" became a prize on a game show again. Witness that Play for Keeps used thousand-dollar bills for bets on their pilot for a Winner Take All revival. They did so because that was the zeitgeist of the time. If they had started out with ten bucks nobody gives a darn.

In 2016 "$50,000" doesn't pop because we are over-exposed to massive jackpots. It's generally one step past a milestone, or an outright grand prize for something like Wipeout or Fear Factor. You would not say that Who Wants to be a Millionaire would have only had a top prize of $265,000 in 1973 because it purposefully neglects the history of the medium. In 1985 "$100,000" popped because to win it you either had to win a tournament of champions, back yourself and win eight games of Sale of the Century, overcome long odds to unlock your Dream House, or be the lucky soul who manages to climb the $100,000. In 2001 we mocked "Our first game of Twenty-one is for $100,000" because again it neglects that history that a huge cash prize is hard to win. $10k in 1973 might buy $55,000, but nobody cares that the top prize for the first victory in the winner's circle buys less than some index says forty years ago because it's still Fifty Thousand Dollars.
Travis L. Eberle

KWJCDon

« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
Geez... I post a fun little fact and some get whacked out over it. Thanks for the chuckle... back to lurking mode for a few more years. LOL

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
The titular prize is $100,000, but a contestant can actually win $150,000 for clearing both Winners Circles. Much more than the CPI-adjusted Pyramid grand prize.
Is that accurate?  My understanding was that if you played both Winner's Circles, whatever you won in the first one is bumped to $100,000 if you win the second one.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #411 on: July 04, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
I was at a party, so I couldn't hear any audio last night. But from one of last week's episodes, I thought Michael indeed said the 100K from the second WC would be added to the initial 50K.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mxc0427

« Reply #412 on: July 04, 2016, 09:17:48 PM »
I was at a party, so I couldn't hear any audio last night. But from one of last week's episodes, I thought Michael indeed said the 100K from the second WC would be added to the initial 50K.

Correct. The $100,000 is added to your winnings. Two perfect WCs equate to $150,000.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »
Fair enough.  I sit corrected.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Nick

« Reply #414 on: July 04, 2016, 09:30:13 PM »
So I hate to come across as cantankerous, but I really don't understand the logic of keeping the contestants' last names a secret.  Each time the celebs deflect to some unfitting adjective to stave off saying their last name in the introduction, so I really don't understand why they don't just say them.

Also, apologies if I missed it somewhere earlier in the thread, but the shows are airing as they were taped, and by that I mean part game two was taped immediately after game one and they're not putting together games from two different taping sessions, correct?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

BillCullen1

« Reply #415 on: July 04, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »
Also, apologies if I missed it somewhere earlier in the thread, but the shows are airing as they were taped, and by that I mean part game two was taped immediately after game one and they're not putting together games from two different taping sessions, correct?

No, they're airing the shows in random order. I saw the first two shows taped, which haven't aired yet.

I liked the second show of the two aired on July 3rd. Mario Cantone really calmed down and played the game well. Robin Roberts was decent but had some brain farts. At least nobody shook anyone else's chair, thank goodness.

chad1m

« Reply #416 on: July 04, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
No, they're airing the shows in random order. I saw the first two shows taped, which haven't aired yet.
I think you mean to say "out of order." I'm guessing they're not drawing program possibilities from a hat.

snowpeck

« Reply #417 on: July 04, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »
Definitely out of order. Reports earlier in the thread said Strahan taped two intros for each show so they could play as either half of the show. They also taped two shows with Rosie and Kathy back-to-back and only one has aired so far.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:44:36 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #418 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
So I hate to come across as cantankerous, but I really don't understand the logic of keeping the contestants' last names a secret.  Each time the celebs deflect to some unfitting adjective to stave off saying their last name in the introduction, so I really don't understand why they don't just say them.
Is it, perhaps, a privacy issue?  In some states, lotto winners are allowed to retain their anonymity.  With decent sums of money on the line, I can't say I'd want my full name and hometown out there, lest some scammers and unsavory people try and make contact with me.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #419 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »
Definitely out of order. Reports earlier in the thread said Strahan taped two intros for each show so they could play as either half of the show. They also taped two shows with Rosie and Kathy back-to-back and only one has aired so far.

The point Chad is making is that there is definitely some planning and intent as to what episodes they air when, which is the opposite of "random."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe