Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 267397 times)

BillCullen1

Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »
What's ironic about that?

On several occasions, Paula was more interested in making wise cracks and jokes than asking questions. Granted, Orson Bean and Tom Poston joked around too, but they got questions in. Host John O'Hurley once scolded Paula after her time was up by saying "There goes a minute of valuable network time."  or words to that effect.

ITSBRY

« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
I attended last night's taping and can't say enough good things about the whole experience. (Seriously, I can't. Some of the good things I'd like to say are covered under a non-disclosure

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing. How is the Winners Circle judging? This, to me, is one of the biggest issues with the Pyramid revivals. I really enjoyed The Pyramid on GSN, and they came close to getting it right, but the judging/rule nuances on the 80s version is just the gold standard for creating excitement in an end game and really making that part of the game a skill to master. It was always a joy to watch the good celebrities play that end game knowing those nuances in and out.

Really looking forward to this!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
How is the Winners Circle judging?

First-rate.

czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »

On several occasions, Paula was more interested in making wise cracks and jokes than asking questions. Granted, Orson Bean and Tom Poston joked around too, but they got questions in. Host John O'Hurley once scolded Paula after her time was up by saying "There goes a minute of valuable network time."  or words to that effect.

And Travis's (correct) point is: that has nothing whatsoever to do with "irony".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

And Travis's (correct) point is: that has nothing whatsoever to do with "irony".

Paula is grimly humorous.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »

Doesn't it? The most watchable of the two seasons featured one of the most unwatchable panelists? I'd consider that irony, at least for people who share those sentiments about Poundstone.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2016, 04:59:29 PM »

Doesn't it? The most watchable of the two seasons featured one of the most unwatchable panelists? I'd consider that irony, at least for people who share those sentiments about Poundstone.

Somehow I don't think BillCullen1 was thinking that way when he typed it out...otherwise he would've said as much IMO.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »

Somehow I don't think BillCullen1 was thinking that way when he typed it out...otherwise he would've said as much IMO.

I read it from his post. I'll give him credit for it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
Assuming that we still care about words having meanings, meaning what you say and communicating in a fashion that does not leave the intended recipient guessing what the hell you're talking about:

If that's the case the writer could say "I don't think Paula Poundstone was a good match for To Tell the Truth," presenting evidence to support that fact which is in abundant supply. He could say "I thought it was disrespectful how she would ignore the game to make non sequitur jokes," or "Paula Poundstone is a square peg and the square hole is something like 'Wait Wait,' which is a nothing game that focuses more on the panelists being funny than on the actual score, at least up until Lightning Fill in the Blank." Or he could have indeed said that while the first season was better in terms of gameplay, that Paula dragged it down. Or really any of thousands of other things. But he didna, he couched it in vagaries and in irony, so I questioned him on it.

Use your words to communicate your point clearly and stand behind what you say instead of being the millionth customer to overuse the word "irony." (I was going to plump for 'misuse,' but Kevin has a point about it being plausible. I maintain it was a poor choice instead of merely the wrong choice.)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »

I read it from his post. I'll give him credit for it.
I'm with Kevin and immediately picked up that vibe. Not everything has to be spelled out to fit everyone's standards; if he wanted to expound, I'm sure he can.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
Thanks, Brandon. the post was fine in my eyes. I think if a different handle had been beside it, the response would have been different.

mmm111

« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »

First-rate.

Seconded.  For the taping I saw, there were several nuances handled in a "classic" manner.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »

First-rate.

Seconded.  For the taping I saw, there were several nuances handled in a "classic" manner.

I hope they aren't still buzzing people for saying "things".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
Was this judging assitry congruent with disallowing the word "you or your" if the subject begins with "Why you" as in "Why you cannot competently produce a game show"?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2016, 05:47:33 PM »
Was this judging assitry congruent with disallowing the word "you or your" if the subject begins with "Why you" as in "Why you cannot competently produce a game show"?

THINGS IN A PARKING LOT
"A car..."
*Bzzzz*
"Ooh sorry, you said 'a'."