Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Millionaire" renewed yet again  (Read 8119 times)

SuperMatch93

-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BillCullen1

Re: "Millionaire" renewed yet again
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
Millionaire won't have to search for another host. They're sticking with Chris Harrison for a 2nd season.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Well then.

I would go out on a limb and say not too many of us saw that coming.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
  Two shows that Regis once hosted continue...

I've been reading that WWTBAM had dropped to a 1.1 rating this season, down from 2014-15. :o

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

colonial

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:09:34 PM »
This could explain why "Millionaire" got the surprise renewal ... "FABLife", which took prime WWTBAM slots when it premiered this fall, is one-and-done ...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tyra-banks-fablife-canceled-one-857464

JD

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:30 PM »
This could explain why "Millionaire" got the surprise renewal ... "FABLife", which took prime WWTBAM slots when it premiered this fall, is one-and-done ...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tyra-banks-fablife-canceled-one-857464

JD

I noticed also, in that article, that RightThisMinute got picked up by the ABC O&Os as well...maybe their plan is to air that in place of FABlife and leave Millionaire where they're airing it, which in most of their cases is late night.

In New York, that would make four different stations RTM has aired on since its debut.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

colonial

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »
Not sure what the plan is for RTM, but it is a 30-minute show on weekdays (with an hour "best of" on weekends).  Could certainly be a double-run for ABC O&Os in the fall to replace "FABLife", or pair RTM with "Millionaire" for a one-hour block.  We shall see.

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
Well then.

I agree. Not sure what surprises me more at this point - that the show was renewed or that they're keeping the same host. I only watch it if I remember to. Millionaire is no longer appointment TV for me like it once was.

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 02:57:00 AM »
Well then.

I agree. Not sure what surprises me more at this point - that the show was renewed or that they're keeping the same host. I only watch it if I remember to. Millionaire is no longer appointment TV for me like it once was.

It should be the former, because with no offense to Cedric or Terry, going back in a professional emcee direction was probably the best way to go.

I think getting a renewal in the face of your biggest group of backers almost unilaterally booting you from longstanding spots in daytime is a pretty surprising development.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 04:03:44 AM »
At this point in time, I'm thinking Disney keeps renewing Millionaire just to keep Sony from claiming full U.S. rights to it (kinda like how Sony and Fox made, respectively, new Spider-Man and Fantastic Four movies partly - at best - to keep Marvel/Disney from using the characters in movies, tho in Spidey's case the rights are now being shared).  Aside from FABLife's cancellation, there really should have been no reason to renew it. 
As an aside, in the ABC deal for Right This Minute, Disney will take over syndication from MGM, meaning Mark Burnett (who now runs MGM TV after United Artists Media Group was recently folded into it) won't have control over it for very long.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »
Not sure what the plan is for RTM, but it is a 30-minute show on weekdays (with an hour "best of" on weekends).  Could certainly be a double-run for ABC O&Os in the fall to replace "FABLife", or pair RTM with "Millionaire" for a one-hour block.  We shall see.

Might be interesting in NYC. Up until this year, WABC had both episodes - from 2014-2015 (until FABLife premiered), they had the first episode at 2pm and then the late-night one. This year, WLNY (an independent, but in a duopoly with WCBS) picked up the first episode. Might WABC get it back and WLNY get the late night one?

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

Might be interesting in NYC. Up until this year, WABC had both episodes - from 2014-2015 (until FABLife premiered), they had the first episode at 2pm and then the late-night one. This year, WLNY (an independent, but in a duopoly with WCBS) picked up the first episode. Might WABC get it back and WLNY get the late night one?

I highly doubt that considering WLNY has made a concerted effort over the last few years to shore up most of its evening and late night lineup with sitcom reruns. The only exceptions are Law & Order: Criminal Intent, their 9 PM newscast, Judge Judy, and ET.

It is going to be interesting to see how it shakes out but I don't think the status quo is going to change.

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
Speaking of interesting (there is a game show tilt to this)

In the Raleigh, NC television market, as of February 29, there will be an affiliation switch taking place. WRAL, which has been a CBS affiliate for a little over thirty years (previously was ABC), becomes an NBC affiliate. WNCN, the current NBC affiliate, becomes CBS. The interesting scenario in all of this is the daytime TV schedule. WRAL is one of the few CBS affiliates that does not air Y&R at its scheduled time (12:30 EST). It instead airs an hour of news and the previously mentioned RTM at 1pm. 1:30pm-4pm are in pattern with CBS.

WNCN airs the only NBC afternoon show (Days) in pattern at 1. They have news and a local magazine show from 11-noon. They *could* move that show from noon-1pm (I can't imagine TPiR airing anywhere but 11am), but then where would Y&R go? They already have Ellen at 4. They may not want to move that to make room for Y&R. 

Stay tuned...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »
- at best -

These words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
I got the impression Tony didn't like Yet Another Comic Book movie.

(Of course, the last two movies I sat down to watch are from the late 1940s, so my taste in movies is quite different from most people's.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post