Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! bans Canadians (except for one)  (Read 5841 times)

Fedya

Re: J! bans Canadians (except for one)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
At least Alex won't lecture us about the need to learn more about Canada and its data protection laws.

Seriously, I'd think this law shouldn't apply to Canadians who are permanent residents in the US, but what do I know.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »
Jeopardy is temporarily not allowing Canadians to take the online test over concerns that Canadian privacy laws might be being broken.  But that version isn't as much fun to complain about.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
Jeopardy is temporarily not allowing Canadians to take the online test over concerns that Canadian privacy laws might be being broken.  But that version isn't as much fun to complain about.

Do they still have off-line tests for the first round?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »

Not sensationalist enough. Won't sell papers.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »

Not sensationalist enough. Won't sell papers.
"Canadians can't get on this popular show and you won't believe why!"

/You may also gratuitously capitalize one of the words to make it even more sensational
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »
What's amusing is that you can pick pretty much any word.

"Canadians CAN'T get on this popular show and you won't believe why!"

"Canadians can't get on THIS popular show and you won't believe why!"

"Canadians can't get on this popular show AND you won't believe why!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Nick

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »
Jeopardy is temporarily not allowing Canadians to take the online test over concerns that Canadian privacy laws might be being broken.

So a Canuck decides to hop south of the 49th on the night of the online test for a few hours and then go home.  Does he stand a chance at getting on the show then?  I can't see why not.

/Would love to see that exchange with the border guards.  "Why are you entering the United States today?"  "To take the online test.  I'm a prisoner of Trebekistan."
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Kniwt

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
Situation has been resolved, the CBC reports:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/canadians-allowed-jeopardy-1.3761502

... According to the contestant FAQ section on the game show's website, "Canadians are eligible" again to take the qualifying online test. The change took effect Sept. 12.

... Trebek, who was born in Canada, promised change would come by the end of the summer after he met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Ottawa earlier this year and also received a key to the city.

An email response to CBC News from the Jeopardy team Wednesday regarding the updated rules said: "Canadians were always allowed to play on the show and were represented throughout last season. There was never a 'ban.'"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
There was a contestant call on last night's show that included Canadians.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.