Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill's Best  (Read 9157 times)

whewfan

Re: Bill's Best
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 06:11:50 AM »
I'm going against the curve and opining that Bill at his worst was Hot Potato and The Joker's Wild.  Cullen appeared lost and out of his element in both shows.

I thought he handled Hot Potato very well, even with the upstaging celebrities. The Joker's Wild, on the other hand, was definitely mishandled. Bill was already "past retirement" with Hot Potato... even someone associated with the show said that it didn't make sense to replace Jack Barry with someone whose health wasn't all that great. However, the powers that be didn't think Jim Peck was well known enough and wanted a very established name to host. Bill was fine on TJW, it's just that his slower pacing and lack of opportunities to joke around made the game overall seem slow. They got Jim to fill in for Bill at least once, and I'll bet they would've had Jim complete the run if Bill wasn't well enough to return.

byrd62

Re: Bill's Best
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
I think the show could work on GSN, but it would need more than just the "memorize eight words, then recall their positions".

That could be one round, then have a round where the contestants watch a music video or TV/movie clip. After the clip, the host asks a few questions about little things in the clip; not dialogue, but stuff like "What color was the detective's hat?" Same could be done with showing a picture for a few seconds.

Sure enough, I think Bill once did a primetime game show with movie clips on NBC in mid-1954, entitled Bank on the Stars.