Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmy nominees are out...  (Read 7482 times)

weaklink75

Daytime Emmy nominees are out...
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/81681/43rd-annual-daytime-emmy-awards-nominations-list/

The relevant categories:

Outstanding Game Show Host

Craig Ferguson, Celebrity Name Game
Steve Harvey, Family Feud
Wayne Brady, Let's Make a Deal
Billy Gardell, Monopoly Millionaires' Club
Brooke Burns, The Chase

Outstanding Game Show
Jeopardy!
Let's Make a Deal
Monopoly Millionaires' Club
The Price Is Right
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

Outstanding Directing in a Game Show

Family Feud
Idiotest
Jeopardy!
Wheel of Fortune
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

And if you want to watch to see who wins- forget it..

http://tvline.com/2016/03/24/daytime-emmys-2016-nominations-young-and-restless-cbs-not-televised/

BrandonFG

Re: Daytime Emmy nominees are out...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
I believe Monopoly Millionaires Club is the first lottery-based game show to be nominated, unless it was nominated last year.

/In before the "(Veteran host) wuz Screwed!" on the Lifetime Achievement
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Outstanding Game Show Host

Craig Ferguson, Celebrity Name Game
Steve Harvey, Family Feud
Wayne Brady, Let's Make a Deal
Billy Gardell, Monopoly Millionaires' Club
Brooke Burns, The Chase

Something for purists, or traditionalists, or whatever you want to call yourselves to consider.  If you accept Todd Newton as a "classic" host (in that he's probably best known as a game show host above all else), I'm pretty sure this is the first year that all five nominees are not "classic" hosts in the traditional way we think of a Sajak, a Trebek or a Barker.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
Millionaire got nominated but Chris Harrison didn't. Surprising, considering he's done a pretty damn fine job this year.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
How does a host or show get nominated? Because I look at the list of hosts and none of them hold a candle to Pat or Alex. At least Jeopardy has a chance to win best show, and Millionaire winning would be acceptable.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
How does a host or show get nominated? Because I look at the list of hosts and none of them hold a candle to Pat or Alex. At least Jeopardy has a chance to win best show, and Millionaire winning would be acceptable.

If it's anything like for actors (and I think it is), there isn't a panel that reviews the performer's entire body of work.  Rather, the performer (or, more likely, the performer's representatives) submits a single example, which is judged along with all the other single samples.  For reasons that should be obvious, that system favors a comedic host who can choose a particularly colorful sample to submit, whereas Trebek and Harrison both helm shows that are frankly pretty similar from day to day.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
I believe Monopoly Millionaires Club is the first lottery-based game show to be nominated, unless it was nominated last year.

I was surprised about that, myself.

/In before the "(Veteran host) wuz Screwed!" on the Lifetime Achievement

There will be two of those honors given this year; one each on both sides of the camera. (At this moment, a certain someone in Calabasas has his fingers crossed.....)

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. GO, BILLY!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:40:27 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

johnnya2k3

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 01:35:59 AM »
With all due respect...the Daytime Emmys have never been the same since 1999 (no need to explain what happened), though for Game Show Host, Wayne Brady should get his due this year.

As for not televising this year's show: I was not surprised; when they last did it in 2014, it was the best one they ever had (partially thanks to Sharon Osbourne verbally turning loose). But who knows; just like POP last year, a lesser-known channel like Reelz or WGN America may pick it up.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:11 AM »
With all due respect...the Daytime Emmys have never been the same since 1999 (no need to explain what happened),
There isn't? I don't have the first idea what you're talking about.

though for Game Show Host, Wayne Brady should get his due this year.
Really? He's not even the fifth best host LMAD has ever had, how is that Emmy-worthy? If Monty Hall is 10, Wayne Brady is about 2 and Ricki Lake is 0.9 or so.

Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
With all due respect...the Daytime Emmys have never been the same since 1999 (no need to explain what happened),

Susan Lucci.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

weaklink75

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »
With all due respect...the Daytime Emmys have never been the same since 1999 (no need to explain what happened), though for Game Show Host, Wayne Brady should get his due this year.

As for not televising this year's show: I was not surprised; when they last did it in 2014, it was the best one they ever had (partially thanks to Sharon Osbourne verbally turning loose). But who knows; just like POP last year, a lesser-known channel like Reelz or WGN America may pick it up.

It's a money issue apparently- the Emmy organization had to pay all the production costs last year, and they simply couldn't afford it this time around:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/81750/why-the-daytime-emmys-will-not-be-televised-this-year/

johnnya2k3

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »

Susan Lucci.
Yes, it used to be a big event because of Susan Lucci; millions watched every year to see whether or not she would win the damn thing. After it finally happened (which was moments after Bob Barker's Lifetime Achievement Emmy, by the way), things were never the same; the Daytime Emmys left broadcast TV for HLN, online, and last year, Pop. Like the late B.B. King once sang, the thrill had already been gone for 17 years now.

Of course, we have the Primetime Awards -- the REAL Emmys -- to look forward to on September 18.

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
Yes, it used to be a big event because of Susan Lucci; millions watched every year to see whether or not she would win the damn thing. After it finally happened (which was moments after Bob Barker's Lifetime Achievement Emmy, by the way), things were never the same; the Daytime Emmys left broadcast TV for HLN, online, and last year, Pop. Like the late B.B. King once sang, the thrill had already been gone for 17 years now.
This is your opinion and is no way fact. Considering that there were some of us (myself included), that had to actually stop and think for a moment as to what you meant, while at least one other didn't have any idea, that should be your first indication of such. Just because YOU are no longer thrilled with it doesn't mean others won't enjoy it. You also make it seem like the moment Lucci finally won, the daytime Emmy awards left broadcast TV, which is not the case. It would air on broadcast TV until 2012.
Of course, we have the Primetime Awards -- the REAL Emmys -- to look forward to on September 18.
Susan Lucci would like to have a word with you.

But hey - at least there were no unnecessary bold text or excalamation points in your posts. Baby steps, etc.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »
This is just silly. Daytime TV may be a wasteland at times, and the event may seem like a throwaway, but I wouldn't scoff at a performer winning a Daytime Emmy, just like I wouldn't scoff at someone winning a Golden Globe. An iHeartRadio Award? Yes. But this is still pretty legit.

Opinion =/= fact
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
What's ironic is that only a couple of these shows are "daytime" shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.